Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the difference between MYCOSIDOL and Chemiclean?

MYCOSIDOL seems very different to all other red slime removers I have used. Is it a bacteria or something whereas chemiclean and other red slim removers are a mixture of an oxidiser and antibiotics?

Nutramar Foods

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mycosidol doesn't make clear what is in it, but it may be similar to Brightwell MB7. Mycosidol uses terms that might actually include antibiotics (natural ingredients, which erythromycin certainly is), but do not explicitly state so.

Chemiclean contains erythromicin, which is an antibiotic.

CLICK TO VIEW

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That may be true, but chemiclean's claims also sound like sludge removal.

"Chemiclean works within 48 hours oxidizing trapped organic sludge and promotes an ideal enzyme balance. "

Tavero

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mycosidol doesn't make clear what is in it, but it may be similar to Brightwell MB7. Mycosidol uses terms that might actually include antibiotics (natural ingredients, which erythromycin certainly is), but do not explicitly state so.

Chemiclean contains erythromicin, which is an antibiotic.
Interesting, the packaging of chemiclean states it does NOT include erythromycin. Probably the reason why it sometimes finds its way into europa. I won't complain though, because thats the reason i got my hands on one package now.
It is still annoying that european companies started to adapt the american trend to not declare the ingredients of the producs. Ten years ago i could look at a german product label and see all ingredients inside. Now whats written is something to the point of "contains magic and it works 100%, trust us" yeah works 100%, 50%-0% of the time.

OP
OP
The Opinionated Reefer

The Opinionated Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In Europe, you are not allowed any kind of antibiotic to be sold over the counter for human or animal use without a prescription. No vet will ever prescribe you something to treat fish or corals so we are pretty much screwed. The entire industry is completely overlooked in this regard.

Tavero

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In Europe, you are not allowed any kind of antibiotic to be sold over the counter for human or animal use without a prescription. No vet will ever prescribe you something to treat fish or corals so we are pretty much screwed. The entire industry is completely overlooked in this regard.
Imports are prohibited but sale is still allowed. Keep your eyes open. Sometimes i find a limited selection in lfs, ebay or amazon. You have to act fast though, because demand is high and price gouging is common.

livinlifeinBKK

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't say i blame em for restricting use of antibiotics...misuse of antibiotics could lead to some pretty nasty things in the long term...it shouldn't be quite so difficult to get them prescribed though

Tavero

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't say i blame em for restricting use of antibiotics...misuse of antibiotics could lead to some pretty nasty things in the long term...it shouldn't be quite so difficult to get them prescribed though
Multiresistant pathogens are on the rise and will lead to a lot of deaths after surgeries in around a decade or two.
Personal use isn't the reason though. It is mainly the unresponsible handling of waste products after production and usage in unhygienic meat production.
(That's what you get when you transfer medicine production to India so it is as cheap as possible)

Nutramar Foods

livinlifeinBKK

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Multiresistant pathogens are on the rise and will lead to a lot of deaths after surgeries in around a decade or two.
Personal use isn't the reason though. It is mainly the unresponsible handling of waste products after production and usage in unhygienic meat production.
(That's what you get when you transfer medicine production to India so it is as cheap as possible)
Yeah I agree that's definitely a part of it

OP
OP
The Opinionated Reefer

The Opinionated Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get chemiclean easily enough on eBay. We also have stuff like Cyano-rx available easily enough. You would never get aquarium Cipro or anything like that over here. And quite frankly it is madness you can just buy that in the USA. The major concern is pouring the water down the drain filled with antibiotics which ultimately ends up in the environment and this breed super bugs.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, the packaging of chemiclean states it does NOT include erythromycin. Probably the reason why it sometimes finds its way into europa. I won't complain though, because thats the reason i got my hands on one package now.
It is still annoying that european companies started to adapt the american trend to not declare the ingredients of the producs. Ten years ago i could look at a german product label and see all ingredients inside. Now whats written is something to the point of "contains magic and it works 100%, trust us" yeah works 100%, 50%-0% of the time.

It DOES NOT say it does not contain erythromycin.

From another post of mine:

Chemiclean is an antibiotic, erythromycin, despite misleading claims otherwise.

We always suspected it was erythromycin because of the very strange wording that it was not "erythromycin succinate:". Sort of like saying you don't have a red car when asked if you have a car.

But apparently a government office in Germany tested it and found it was erythromycin:

http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-526917.html

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

stoney7713

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It DOES NOT say it does not contain erythromycin.

From another post of mine:

Chemiclean is an antibiotic, erythromycin, despite misleading claims otherwise.

We always suspected it was erythromycin because of the very strange wording that it was not "erythromycin succinate:". Sort of like saying you don't have a red car when asked if you have a car.

But apparently a government office in Germany tested it and found it was erythromycin:

Exactly they are very deceptive in what it does contain but it is a form of Erythromycin.

OP
OP
The Opinionated Reefer

The Opinionated Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what about Blue life cyano rx does it contain Erythromycin? The two products seem to work identically in my tank. They look similar and have a similar dosage. The skimmer goes crazy for a few days after using it, the same as chemiclean.

Tavero

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Apparently. But after all the scandals and misinformation that came out of anything that is related to and with the German government in the last two years i don't trust them at all.

To be frank, i trust your own word more than them. If you say you had suspicion that it does contain erythromycin before you even read that ultimatereef post, i believe you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Avast
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Precise.Accurate.Reliable.ICP-OES by Reef Labs
Back