My new Tunze 6105s- pretty darn noisy?!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Lylelovett

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I just fired up my new 6105s and they're pretty darn noisy - like a loud refrigerator volume level-wise in my living room. :)

So loud that if they don't quiet down, I'm going to have to return them. :(

The posts I've read seem to say they will quiet down in 2-4 weeks. Is that correct? It's just so loud in my living room it's stressing me out that I even decided to put them in.

I just need some reassurance. :)

Thanks,
J

Last edited:

rvitko

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance you could post a video with sound or an audio clip? They can be very noisy if air is trapped in them that usually takes a couple days to work out of the pumps. It can also be the front cover is not completely secured, that will cause a lot of noise. If the glass is very thin or the pumps are touching the glass directly that can be a cause of noise beyond the norm. In general the noise should be halved after 2 weeks and halved again after 4 more weeks. With that said, when brand new they should be not louder than the ambient noise in a typical family room or kitchen with just the usual AC or refrigerator running.

mtfish

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze come with little silicon nipples that you stick on the magnet that goes against the glass. New pumps have these on a sheet you pull off and stick on. Are these missing? These pumps are usually very quiet.

OP
OP
Lylelovett

Lylelovett

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance you could post a video with sound or an audio clip? They can be very noisy if air is trapped in them that usually takes a couple days to work out of the pumps. It can also be the front cover is not completely secured, that will cause a lot of noise. If the glass is very thin or the pumps are touching the glass directly that can be a cause of noise beyond the norm. In general the noise should be halved after 2 weeks and halved again after 4 more weeks. With that said, when brand new they should be not louder than the ambient noise in a typical family room or kitchen with just the usual AC or refrigerator running.

I will record a video/audio clip by EOD.

Trapped Air - copy that. I will monitor over the next day or so.
Front Cover - seems to be secure.
Glass - 1/2" thick tempered.
Not touching sides.

One other question - on both controllers the main power knob only seems control the pumps from 20% to the 12-noon position. When I turn the knob from the 12-noon position to maximum, there is no change in powerhead speed. Not sure what's going on with that?

rvitko

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is generally true that at about 2 o clock you are at maximum and everything after is the same, but from noon to 2 o clock you should still have a power increase, likely you cannot see it, but it should be perceptible by feel.

OP
OP
Lylelovett

Lylelovett

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to get back to the thread - all it took was patience. (like so many things in his hobby) LOL.

The Tunze 6105s are SOOO quiet. As everyone said, nearly silent. The just had to break-in.

I whole-heartedly recommend them!

Best and happy holidays!

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Legendary
Back