Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano is caused by phosphates. You should blast it off the rocks and vacuum it up. There are chemicals out there that will take it out but it doesn't address why you are having the cyano issues. Do you vacuum your sand bed ever? I would do a couple of large water changes and make sure to vacuum the sand bed when you do them. Un eaten food has to go somewhere...

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano is a bacteria, and I have had very undetectable phos in my tank, and still had cyano. In this case lack of flow could be a culprit, but typically cyano comes from a bacterial imbalance in the system. That is why i suggested dosing a denitrifying bacteria to balance things out again.

Henry C

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct it is a bacteria, lack of flow could be a culprit but it can also be brought on by overfeeding or lack of sufficent cuc for the tank size. I was only stating that chemicals to rid it are only a band-aid and should be used as a last resort. If we can't help figure out what caused it then it will only come back again. Yes or No?

AS

fort384

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rarely do I recommend additives for a tank, but for cyano, nothing beats using erythromycin[FONT=arial, sans-serif]. In both FW and SW, my experience is that after 1 course of treatment, it has never returned. Some argue the use of antibiotics is bad it will come back if the underlying cause is not addressed. In the case of cyano, I have never seen that to be true. [/FONT]

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct it is a bacteria, lack of flow could be a culprit but it can also be brought on by overfeeding or lack of sufficent cuc for the tank size. I was only stating that chemicals to rid it are only a band-aid and should be used as a last resort. If we can't help figure out what caused it then it will only come back again. Yes or No?

I am not suggesting using a chemical. I am suggesting using a natural bacteria to balance out the system. This was first suggested by Jon Warner of Warner Marine, and it has worked for me quite well.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MB7 is similar, but not the same strain of bacteria, I have heard folks have issues with hair algae using it. But I did dose it at one point just trying to get multiple strains in the tank. You dont have a petco in Clarksville?

Typed from my phone, because I have nothing better to do.

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To help kill what cyano you have now, you can use a turkey baster and shoot some hydrogen peroxide onto it. It won't hurt your biofilter and it won't hurt any corals or fish (may irritate them a bit for an hour or so, but they'll be fine), but it will kill algaes and is also great with cyano. Then siphon out the now dead cyano and figure out what is triggering it.

For the acros fading, use Aquavitro Fuel, you can find it only at LFS.

Top Shelf Aquatics
Nutramar Foods

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've dipped every coral I've owned in a strong iodine solution, and then a strong hydrogen peroxide solution before entering the tank. I've had zero RTN because of that, between acros, montis, stylos, pocis, LPS, softies, etc.

Chameleon

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've dipped every coral I've owned in a strong iodine solution, and then a strong hydrogen peroxide solution before entering the tank. I've had zero RTN because of that, between acros, montis, stylos, pocis, LPS, softies, etc.
dipping is different then having it in the tank...
also h2o2 is only 3% in bottle so 50:50 with tank water = 1.5% not too strong

Last edited:

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dipping is different then having it in the tank...
also h2o2 is only 3% in bottle so 50:50 with tank water = 1.5% not too strong
Tell that to all the inverts and bugs on the stuff being dipped! :bounce:

It's perfectly fine to add to the tank, both via broadcast and via direct spraying onto a target. Clams, LPS, SPS, leathers, zoas, bubble tip anemones, carpet anemones and even macroalgaes are fine. 1mL for 10 gallons if broadcast.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=268706

Top Shelf Aquatics

Farside Tropicals

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If our aquarist sees that one of coral polyps aren't doing so well, they normally dip them in a mixture of water and a chemical solution such as coral revive to help them out. If that doesn't help them recover over a few days they treat them by dipping them in some hydrogen peroxide using a pipette or turkey baster to fend off possible infection. Normally one or the other does the trick
Hope this helps

OP
OP
islander84

islander84

Island Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No petco.... there is a petstore but cant remember the name of it....
MB7 is similar, but not the same strain of bacteria, I have heard folks have issues with hair algae using it. But I did dose it at one point just trying to get multiple strains in the tank. You dont have a petco in Clarksville?

Typed from my phone, because I have nothing better to do.

TCK Corals

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back