+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy Lights

I have finally finish my light collection for my aquarium with the latest addition of OR3 light bars. Let me share about how my light system changes into the current form as I try to adapt to the animals I keep.

I started running this 4.5x2.5x2.5 aquarium with two Wyatt lights. The 240w light, a local enterprise, gives good spread, PAR and value for money. Since my aquascape is offset to one side, my two light sets are offset from the centre as well.

View attachment 2617522

It worked well, giving corals plenty of light to grow, while largely stay off the glass and minimized algae growth. There is one problem, however. Since the light shines from the top, and shaded by the top corals and rock, the amount of light reaching the front is very limited. I dislike the pale underside of colonies; nor do I want my corals to grow steeply towards the light rather than plating out. I decided to provide an angled fill light near the front edge of the aquarium. I did not opt for a light bar or a lower powerwd light. This is because I need the fill light tobe equal in quality and quantity, so that the coral can color up evenly. 3 lights now.

View attachment 2617536

The addition fo the third 240w light brings a lot more color to the viewing side. But soon I encountered a new problem. As I start to introduce clams to my aquarium, it is apparent that my open sand bed 2.5' down does not have nearly enough light to support them. Solution? One more light.

View attachment 2617543

Moving on, the amount of light is sufficient at all depths. The coverage is good. Time to start to look into the quality of light. I become interested in the role of UV spectrum in growth and color of corals. I have since installed customized OR3 light bar, supplying 385, 420 nm radiation to the coral. The result is very obvious so far. Finally. Today the second light bar with 365 and 740nm diodes are in. My light is set.

View attachment 2617521

How did you get custom OR3 bars made? Amazing setup you have

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
J1a

J1a

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little People Stories

If a reef is a city, then the animals we keep are it's citizens. While looking at the reef as a whole, we can appreciate it's structure and balance. Looking closer, however, we can peer into the intimate lives of ordinary reef dwellers. They tell so many stories of growth and demise, conflict and cooperation. As each polyp lives it's live, as each fins flutter in the wave, mesmerising stories are there, if only we look and listen.

Coincidentally, I have a story in my reef, which fits nicely into the Acropolis. It's the story of the mystical King Midas. The legend has it that whatever King Midas touches would turn into gold. The very same story is being told in my Acropolis.

PSX_20220507_091748.jpg

The King Midas zoa (heh) is spreading and smothering some of the corals. What a befitting name of this zoa.

Top Shelf Aquatics

jx.reef

Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice tank! I'm very curious about your ammonium chloride dosing. I've started doing this myself and am wondering what your dosage is at. (I'm currently at just 4 drops a day on a 100gallon)

OP
OP
J1a

J1a

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Growth Forms

For me, getting a nice colony shape is as important, if not more so, than getting coral growth. When it comes to acropora, the growth form is dictated much by flow and light.

In general, sps grow in such a way to achieve maximum efficiency for material exchange with surrounding, as well as achieving optimum (note, not strongest possible) light for their growth.

Flow and Light Contrast

This colony of pink birdnest perfectly illustrates the effects of flow and light.

PSX_20220730_073001.jpg

The left side of the birdnest is exposed to strong flow and unshaded light (ca. 800 PAR) the shape of the growth is dense, and mostly upright. On the right side, the colony branches out irregularly. The branches tends to grow horizontally, and leaving plenty of space between them.

Developing the Plate

PSX_20220730_072842.jpg

Exhibit two, the strawberry shortcake colony. Initially, the colony has a neat tabling shape. However, when I glue it on the rock, it was tilted. After exposing the colony to strong (900 PAR) light and strong flow, the colony starts to correct its shape. The new growths are generally vertical. I hope after more growth, the colony will assume a perfect plate shape.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

RED SEA
Back