Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ecotech is kind of like the Apple of reef keeping.

Is the stuff good? Yes
Do you pay a premium? Yes
Is it worth the premium? Hard to say
Do you need to have a successful tank? No
Will it make your tank more successful than alternative solutions? No

AS

revhtree

Owner Administrator
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   1
That was in said in jest and you know it.:face-blowing-a-kiss:

I was implying that I might get too roudy in my elaboration for a Saturday night on R2R.
Self sensorship.
Thanks then…..I guess…. :p

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing the MP40 has going for it is the lack of wires in the tank. I run two down low, and two jump 4k up top on the back. The gyres are like two pumps in one at half the cost. The apple analogy fits.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
vpierce3

vpierce3

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me it’s about what livestock you want to have versus all the cost, your budget, and the needs of the livestock plus your convenience/preference.

Maybe you can also elaborate on
Well, my goal is a mixed reef with nice coral, but not necessarily name brand corals (softies, LPS, SPS and a couple clams.
I’ve been in the hobby for 25 years and this is my dream build. But I also want to be responsible…..good quality, reliable but I don’t need equipment to be fancy.
I’d like to end up with 20 fish or so (moderately stocked). I have all my tangs, clowns, anthias, fairy wrasse, mandarin and bangais. Id like to add some pyramid butterflies, 4-5 more wrasse, fire fish and royal gramma.
Budget is ok….I can save up for what I decide to get.
Does that help?

OP
OP
vpierce3

vpierce3

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MP40 are 100% worth it, the fact you have ZERO cords going into the tank alone makes them better than Nero/octopulse/etc.

add in the incredibly easy maintenance and its a home run.
Yeah, that is definitely something I’m considering.

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The concept was and remains one of the best developments for in-tank flow in the past 15 years.

Great flow, realiability, programability, swappable wetside for ease of maintenece, no heat transfer, no wires in the tank for a cleaner look. The Pro's far outweigh the cons of cost, slightly buggy software and being linear and not aimable.

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics

demonclownfish

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The app is super easy to use as well
IMG_5440.PNG
IMG_5441.PNG

Top Shelf Aquatics

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some new pumps and I’m having a horrible time deciding.

I know many love the MP40s, but man, $500 a pop?! Are they really worth that crazy price tag?

The other pumps I’m considering are:
Maxspect 4000 gph Jump Gyres
AI Nero 5’s
Res Sea Reef Wave 45 Gyres

What say you?

My tank is 60”x24”x25”, 150 gallons.
Here is a pic of my rock work.
View attachment 3069689

Only for the back wall imo... dry side 'ear muffs' don't look great on the sides.

They are not really any better at moving water, just no cords. So it depends how important that is to you. Keep in mind you can not angle them.

OP
OP
vpierce3

vpierce3

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it matters to you, they cannot be aimed at an angle, always perpindicular to glass/acrylic. I like the no cord aspect.
Yeah. I don’t point my pumps at anything anyway so as not to blast any corals.

Nutramar Foods

Wasabiroot

FW Convert and now Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own a pair of Nero3s on a 50g cube. They provide sufficient flow for a mixed reef of sps, torches, gorgonians and other lps. I have them at 70 percent. I imagine the Nero 5 would do a great job. They are easy to program and can be used in the Mobius app if you have any Ecotech devices.

From what I can see, the price for Mp40/60 is for the ease of programming, solid featureset and seamless design, good flow rates and latest tech if newest version. They are a bit more than I would personally spend on a WaveMaker but people swear by them. My 2c. Lots of good options <500$ also. I do not own a Mobius pump so please understand this is my personal opinion having used one of both brand. I think it really comes down to your budget.

I will add I find my Nero3 the loudest part of my tank so if absolute quiet is a necessity, I would spend more. Some experience quiet Nero pumps too, as mine are 2yr old now

OP
OP
vpierce3

vpierce3

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only for the back wall imo... dry side 'ear muffs' don't look great on the sides.

They are not really any better at moving water, just no cords. So it depends how important that is to you. Keep in mind you can not angle them.
I agree with the earmuffs on the side. In my living space, it would look funny on one of the sides.
Maybe a couple of MP10s on the rear wall, and a gyre on each side?

sc50964

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my goal is a mixed reef with nice coral, but not necessarily name brand corals (softies, LPS, SPS and a couple clams.
I’ve been in the hobby for 25 years and this is my dream build. But I also want to be responsible…..good quality, reliable but I don’t need equipment to be fancy.
I’d like to end up with 20 fish or so (moderately stocked). I have all my tangs, clowns, anthias, fairy wrasse, mandarin and bangais. Id like to add some pyramid butterflies, 4-5 more wrasse, fire fish and royal gramma.
Budget is ok….I can save up for what I decide to get.
Does that help?
Looks like you already got the rest of the equipment to be relatively higher end plus you already go most of the fish, so you should get the equivalent high end pump to go with the rest. But if you don’t care about the additional wire that Gyre has, it may be a better option to get rid of dead spots.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
vpierce3

vpierce3

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own a pair of Nero3s on a 50g cube. They provide sufficient flow for a mixed reef of sps, torches, gorgonians and other lps. I have them at 70 percent. I imagine the Nero 5 would do a great job. They are easy to program and can be used in the Mobius app if you have any Ecotech devices.

From what I can see, the price is for the ease of programming, solid featureset and seamless design with good flow rates. They are a bit more than I would personally spend on a WaveMaker but people swear by them. My 2c. Lots of good options <500$ also. I do not own a Mobius pump so please understand this is my personal opinion having used one of both brand.

I will add I find my Nero3 the loudest part of my tank so if absolute quiet is a necessity, I would spend more. Some experience quiet Nero pumps too, as mine are 2yr old now
I appreciate your input. I already use the AI app for my lighting. The mobius app isn’t a huge deal for me.
The only concern I have regarding the Nero’s are people reporting that they suck in smaller fish.
And the idea of no cords in the tank is attractive. Just not sure if it’s $500 a piece attractive.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you already got the rest of the equipment to be relatively higher end plus you already go most of the fish, so you should get the equivalent high end pump to go with the rest. But if you don’t care about the additional wire that Gyre has, it may be a better option to get rid of dead spots.
By "high end" do you mean quality or just expensive?

Tunze pumps are quality.

OP
OP
vpierce3

vpierce3

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True. Every time I go cheap on something, I alway regret it.
The wire does bother me per se but it would be better without them.
Hmmmm.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the compliment and the feed back. I will definitely consider. It’s just hard for me to wrap my head around spending $1500 for pumps. Buy once, cry once, I guess.
I doubt you'll need more than 2 of them

LPS Bum

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some new pumps and I’m having a horrible time deciding.

I know many love the MP40s, but man, $500 a pop?! Are they really worth that crazy price tag?

The other pumps I’m considering are:
Maxspect 4000 gph Jump Gyres
AI Nero 5’s
Res Sea Reef Wave 45 Gyres

What say you?

My tank is 60”x24”x25”, 150 gallons.
Here is a pic of my rock work.
View attachment 3069689
I have a ReefWave 45 and I love it. It sends a sheet of water across the entire length of my 625 XXL. And it gives you the ability to control the flow randomly. Perfect for my LPS system.

Easy cleaning every 3 months in a bucket of freshwater and vinegar.

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AquaCave Logo Banner
Back