Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.. i was struggling with ich/velvet (not sure) and i moved my fishes to a Hospital tank and was treating them with copper. With few losses, i was able to bring them back to health. Currently they are on 12th day of therapeutic copper. Due to some office work i need to travel for 2 weeks and there is no one else to take care of them in hospital tank.
My question is- can i move them to te DT?

Aluco

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dt would need to be fishless for minimum 6 weeks to rid the parasite. The fish need more time in copper.. if you move them back to the dt they will most likely get sick again.

If you can transfer them to a seperate sterile observation tank could that work for you? That should keep the fish ahead of the disease and allow your dt to stay fallow.

jjencek

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is that 12 days might not be enough for them, but as you mentioned it already helped some. Also if you are returning them to the same DT they came from, you still have the parasite in it. To remove the parasite from the DT, it would have to stay fishless for 60-90 days (the lifecycle of the parasite).

That said, it is ok to move them back before your trip. I would acclimatize them by a slow drip and then discard the water before adding them to the DT. You can always repeat the treatment, if needed ,when you come back.

AS

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.. i was struggling with ich/velvet (not sure) and i moved my fishes to a Hospital tank and was treating them with copper. With few losses, i was able to bring them back to health. Currently they are on 12th day of therapeutic copper. Due to some office work i need to travel for 2 weeks and there is no one else to take care of them in hospital tank.

What copper product did you use?
The minimum treatment time for ionic copper is 14 days (but 21 days is much better)
For amine-based copper, it needs to be 30 days.

As mentioned, after only 12 days, if you move the fish back to the tank they had first gotten sick in, there is a very good chance that they will become reinfected.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
There is a Clock for treatment which is a FULL 30 days and at minimum. 21 days but you risk re-emergence of any living parasite and you really want display free of fish/hosts for at minimum 4-6 weeks at a slightly higher temperature.
Is there any one you can have swing by daily as I have someone stop after work and have them feed, add water as needed until you return? Even a local LFS may be able to do this.

OP
OP
K

kuwaitreefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What copper product did you use?
The minimum treatment time for ionic copper is 14 days (but 21 days is much better)
For amine-based copper, it needs to be 30 days.

As mentioned, after only 12 days, if you move the fish back to the tank they had first gotten sick in, there is a very good chance that they will become reinfected.

Jay
Seachem cupramine

OP
OP
K

kuwaitreefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a Clock for treatment which is a FULL 30 days and at minimum. 21 days but you risk re-emergence of any living parasite and you really want display free of fish/hosts for at minimum 4-6 weeks at a slightly higher temperature.
Is there any one you can have swing by daily as I have someone stop after work and have them feed, add water as needed until you return? Even a local LFS may be able to do this.
I tried local lfs but they didn’t help unfortunately..no one other than me at home currently

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Champion
Back