Ich persistent through copper power treatment.

MinnieMouse2

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck. Your fish hardly has ich. I am sorry, but I do not agree with all the experts above. Ich management is the way to go. You are risking killing your fish. How long do you want to do the copper, four months? Better watch the copper close, it often kills when the levels go off. I get a spot of ich every once in awhile and feed to build up immunity, change water, do the things you should. My current oldest fish is 11 and the rest are about 7 years old and still going strong. I am also not a newbie. Over 40 years taking care of fresh and marine fish. Marine fish can hold up better to ich than even fresh water fish. Get a spot here and there, get over it, that is most marine fish. This copper or else thing, I am on the fence. A lot of marine keepers do ich maintenance. BRS had a video on this. In the forums, this is often the start of a battle as everyone has their wise words. I feel sorry for this fish. Are you prepared to pull it out of the tank every time it gets this? Fallowing a tank is not a guarantee. Ich can come on live rock, snails, crabs, and corals.

Top Shelf Aquatics
Nutramar Foods

MinnieMouse2

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The treatment of vibriosis in Sea bass using nano particle ginger. Science paper. Vibriosis is a serious septicemic bacterial disease, so not a parasite. "
In the current study, Ginger Nano Particles, as well as a combina-
tion of GNPs and S. cerevisae, were shown to be
more effective at preventing vibriosis than S. cer-
evisae alone. " https://koreascience.kr/article/JAKO202106942290723.pdf

MinnieMouse2

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquatic Animal Health Research

Title: Combined effects of Chinese medicine feed and ginger extract bath on co-infection of Ichthyophthirius multifiliis and Dactylogyrus ctenopharyngodonid in grass carp "Ichthyophthirius multifiliis and Dactylogyrus ctenopharyngodonid are two important parasites in skin and gill of freshwater fish." Results demonstrated that the infection intensity of both parasites was significantly decreased after grass carp fed medicated feed containing 4% medicinal plant extracts. All parasites were eliminated during 21 days when grass carp treated with medicated feed and 4 mg/L ginger extract bath. The trial results demonstrated that the combined treatment of ginger extract bath and medicated feed containing medicine plant mixtures was an effective way to control D. ctenopharyngodonid and I. multifiliis on fish. https://www.ars.usda.gov/research/publications/publication/?seqNo115=343213

Nutramar Foods

reef_1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck. Your fish hardly has ich. I am sorry, but I do not agree with all the experts above. Ich management is the way to go. You are risking killing your fish. How long do you want to do the copper, four months? Better watch the copper close, it often kills when the levels go off. I get a spot of ich every once in awhile and feed to build up immunity, change water, do the things you should. My current oldest fish is 11 and the rest are about 7 years old and still going strong. I am also not a newbie. Over 40 years taking care of fresh and marine fish. Marine fish can hold up better to ich than even fresh water fish. Get a spot here and there, get over it, that is most marine fish. This copper or else thing, I am on the fence. A lot of marine keepers do ich maintenance. BRS had a video on this. In the forums, this is often the start of a battle as everyone has their wise words. I feel sorry for this fish. Are you prepared to pull it out of the tank every time it gets this? Fallowing a tank is not a guarantee. Ich can come on live rock, snails, crabs, and corals.
I tried everything, UV,H2O2, garlic, all products, ich still will flare up when you need it the less, like when tank had "events". No fatalities though but I still didnt like it.

Chucked fish into CP, since then treat everything which goes in, QT rocks, snails, corals, ich gone, no more worries.

MinnieMouse2

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fish Immune Response Against Ich Re-Infection​

Fish that survive an ich infection can develop an immune response and become resistant to parasite re-infection. Serum and mucus from those immune fish contain antibodies against the parasite. Then, when infective theronts come into contact with anti-ich antibodies, the antibodies cause the theronts to become immobilized. The immobilization causes the theronts to lose their swimming ability. The antibodies also cause the parasites to leave the fish so that ich cannot become established in immune fish. Recently, a few studies showed that vaccines against ich induced protective immunity and could provide a solution to prevent this parasitic disease through vaccination instead of chemical treatments.

reef_1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fish Immune Response Against Ich Re-Infection​

Fish that survive an ich infection can develop an immune response and become resistant to parasite re-infection. Serum and mucus from those immune fish contain antibodies against the parasite. Then, when infective theronts come into contact with anti-ich antibodies, the antibodies cause the theronts to become immobilized. The immobilization causes the theronts to lose their swimming ability. The antibodies also cause the parasites to leave the fish so that ich cannot become established in immune fish. Recently, a few studies showed that vaccines against ich induced protective immunity and could provide a solution to prevent this parasitic disease through vaccination instead of chemical treatments.
Yes sure.

First I guess it has many strains and while it might become immune for one, it might doesnt work for other strains.

My fish got it for years with ocassional flare ups, with no additions at all (no fish, no rocks, no corals, no snails, no pods, nothing) I've also been waiting for fish becoming immune for 2 years, but when I was on holiday so feeding was less ideal and tank temparature shot up to above 90 it came back big time so I just got rid of it. Since then I dont have to worry about anything, dont need to mess with UV, garlic, h2o2 and other snake oil stuff.

One less thing to worry about...

MinnieMouse2

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humble fish mentioned why some can manage ich and others not.
Not all species of bacteria and microfauna outcompete/eliminate the others. And the longer a tank is setup, the more "life" that keeps getting added to it everytime we add a new coral, macro algae, etc. Eventually we will add a strain of bacteria which will gnaw on (and damage) parasite tomonts. Limiting their viability. This concept was first introduced to me by Dr. Colorni: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/marine-ich-and-temperature.232825/page-2#post-3367199

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
JASON FOX SIGNATURE CORALS
Back