+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081 @threebuoys
I apologize in advanced hippo is real hard to get a picture of. I added pics of the other fish to check out aswell. Hopefully the setting on the lighting helps.
That’s ich. There may be other issues, but the spots on the hepatus fins are ich, mucus plugs don’t grow on fins. Also, the emperor angel has the blotchy appearance they show with ich or flukes.
Jay

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
C

Coogzreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish trap is the way to go. I just had to remove Harlequin tusk and it took me days as every tang in the tank except Naso kept going into trap.

View attachment 3141741
Hmm I’ve got one might be a one by one type of thing. Question though does bio blocks soak copper or meds? Might use one or two from DT so I can help with ammonia

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hmm I’ve got one might be a one by one type of thing. Question though does bio blocks soak copper or meds? Might use one or two from DT so I can help with ammonia
It should not and would be a useful source of bacteria. Bio blocks known for surface area and bacteria retention - not absorbant.

Last edited:
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
C

Coogzreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vetteguy53081 @Jay Hemdal @threebuoys

well I’m down to just three more fish to catch in the DT the sailfin, hippo tang, and one clownfish via fish trap. They’re the smart ones so I’m assuming gonna take me all day lol.
I want to be 100% sure about two things the fallow period is 4-6 weeks forsure? 6 weeks would be 42 days and I want to be on the safe side.
Also I’m keeping shrimp in the tank so that I can keep beneficial bacteria flowing by feeding them is this okay?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vetteguy53081 @Jay Hemdal @threebuoys

well I’m down to just three more fish to catch in the DT the sailfin, hippo tang, and one clownfish via fish trap. They’re the smart ones so I’m assuming gonna take me all day lol.
I want to be 100% sure about two things the fallow period is 4-6 weeks forsure? 6 weeks would be 42 days and I want to be on the safe side.
Also I’m keeping shrimp in the tank so that I can keep beneficial bacteria flowing by feeding them is this okay?

I often mess up with time conversions - "hours, days, weeks, etc." (grin) 45 days at 81 degrees F. is the minimum time I suggest. 60 days is better, and is mandatory if the temp is below that. The longest time, based on that one published paper is 76 days. I typically suggest that folks go with 60 days, unless there is some compelling reason to go with 45 days...like the holding tank is simply not stable enough to hold the fish that long.

Nitrifying bacteria are pretty long-lived, a lack of fish in the tank does not shut them off very quickly - a few invertebrates in a tank, being fed some food is always sufficient to keep the bacteria "ready to go" when the fish are returned.

Jay

OP
OP
C

Coogzreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I often mess up with time conversions - "hours, days, weeks, etc." (grin) 45 days at 81 degrees F. is the minimum time I suggest. 60 days is better, and is mandatory if the temp is below that. The longest time, based on that one published paper is 76 days. I typically suggest that folks go with 60 days, unless there is some compelling reason to go with 45 days...like the holding tank is simply not stable enough to hold the fish that long.

Nitrifying bacteria are pretty long-lived, a lack of fish in the tank does not shut them off very quickly - a few invertebrates in a tank, being fed some food is always sufficient to keep the bacteria "ready to go" when the fish are returned.

Jay
I’ve got some zoas and polyps in the tank aswell as the shrimp will 81 degrees be an issue for them? Also the qt tank is 29 gallons I’m a little worried with the six fish inside that small of a tank what is your opinion on that?
Edit: also one more question should I be concerned about any “dormant” cyst within the tank. I don’t think I have any “dead zone” areas but just wondering.

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I’ve got some zoas and polyps in the tank aswell as the shrimp will 81 degrees be an issue for them? Also the qt tank is 29 gallons I’m a little worried with the six fish inside that small of a tank what is your opinion on that?
Edit: also one more question should I be concerned about any “dormant” cyst within the tank. I don’t think I have any “dead zone” areas but just wondering.
81 degrees is an acceptable high and you can compromise at 80.5 degrees Adding an airstone often helps with higher temps.
Six fish for temporary housing will be fine- Just maintain good water quality focusing on ammonia with a Reliable test kit

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Printed Reef - Custom Reef Accessories
Back