Most Coral "Names" are Mean Nothing Guys... Beyond Scientific Name it's Purely Made Up for Marketing

BRS
Corals.com

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All coral trade names are 100% marketing BS that totally works!

About 20+ years ago I was a vendor at a frag swap and had some really nice blue zoanthids for sale. Folks came up and really liked them and asked the name. I said I don't play the name game---they said Oh, OK and walked away. By the afternoon I got fed up not selling those zoos and continually acting like the purist by not naming them. So, I made up a name, King's Ransom. Suddenly I started selling a few frags, then more and more. By the end of the swap folks were coming up and asking Do you have any more of them King's Ransom zoos?

Lesson learned, but still ignored by me for the most part :)

Fort Salty

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the vast majority of people are spending their money on a feeling. Like the previous poster mentions, these people are not interested in the coral, but in the feeling it elicits. It is the sad reality of the world we live in. Now if these names meant something, that would be useful. I'm glad that I don't need to know the scientific names because I really don't have much use for Latin, personally.

Honestly, one can live by that middle ground if he wants. It is really up to the individual to make good choices. Maybe you need help spending $1000 and these crazy names are exactly the help you were looking for. ;)

FS

Top Shelf Aquatics

ryshark

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rarely by online with all the lfs's in SoCal but I'm not bothered by certain names as its easier to see the same coral at my lfs's for half the price of the same coral online and makes it easier to identify rather than getting all scientific with the species. It is pure comedy looking online at the same coral online at various websites with different made up names and buying the exact same coral locally for half or more depending on what online store is charging. Plus the local stuff is easily twice the size of the same coral online.
Which store locally has good selection of lineaged named acros? Thanks

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Printed Reef - Custom Reef Accessories
Back