Mollies - Do you need to QT if from freshwater?

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
As per the title - if a Molly is freshwater raised does it need QT before going into a saltwater tank?

/aside from any salinity acclimation
Not so much quarantined but acclimated to salt. While some get away with it, you normally cant drop them in salt and walk away. Same applies to valentini puffer. You want to place them in a container and increase salt level periodicallyover 48 hours to your tank salinity.

OP
OP
P

PotatoPig

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not so much quarantined but acclimated to salt. While some get away with it, you normally cant drop them in salt and walk away. Same applies to valentini puffer. You want to place them in a container and increase salt level periodicallyover 48 hours to your tank salinity.
Thank you - I just picked up three on a whim and while setting up QT it occurred that the freshwater might not need it.

Plan is to drip acclimate them to approx 1.05 in the QT tank over a couple hours and then water change out over the next few days to raise them up to the tank salinity.

/Side note - reducing the QT salinity to 1.05 shook a large number of tiny white worms (Dorvilleidae I think) that the mollies are munching on like crazy as they get siphoned into the acclimation box.

Last edited:
AquaCave Logo Banner

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you - I just picked up three on a whim and while setting up QT it occurred that the freshwater might not need it.

Plan is to drip acclimate them to approx 1.05 in the QT tank over a couple hours and then water change out over the next few days to raise them up to the tank salinity.
As long as the mollies came from pure freshwater and not brackish, you’ll be o.k. Velvet can live down to 4ppt salt, so if the mollies were kept saltier than that, there could be some risk.
Jay

OP
OP
P

PotatoPig

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the mollies came from pure freshwater and not brackish, you’ll be o.k. Velvet can live down to 4ppt salt, so if the mollies were kept saltier than that, there could be some risk.
Jay
Hmmm.

These are Petco fish, kept in freshwater but right next to the saltwater ones. Gonna copper them then just in case of cross contamination from the store handler between catches.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

/Side note - reducing the QT salinity to 1.05 shook a large number of tiny white worms (Dorvilleidae I think) that the mollies are munching on like crazy as they get siphoned into the acclimation box.
They are likely detritus worms
Keep the mollies going. They will eat algae for you

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The question is 'why are you putting a mollie into a saltwater tank'? It is kind of a frowned upon thing to do - for a variety of reasons - if you are using the Mollie as a 'canary in a coal mine' for saltwater diseases, for example.

OP
OP
P

PotatoPig

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The question is 'why are you putting a mollie into a saltwater tank'? It is kind of a frowned upon thing to do - for a variety of reasons - if you are using the Mollie as a 'canary in a coal mine' for saltwater diseases, for example.
Goal is a low aggression FOWLR tank of preferably colorful fish. The Mollies in question are a nice gold and black, and my understanding is they’re bolder swimmers than some of the other fish - or less likely to hide in rockwork, so seem to fit the bill. My hope is they’ll live long and happy little fish lives.

Secondary hope is having a few mollies swimming around will make the tank seem less scary to some of the other fish who hide a lot.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Deltec
Back