Mixing Salt

Austin’s Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m starting up my 210. I put my rock and sand in. I heard people talk about you mix your saltwater in your tank so put most of it with premade saltwater and then the rest with RODI. I’ve been slowly putting salt in and got it to 1.020 so far.

My main question is will the salt sit in the sand or will it resolve?

Worried that whenever I add fish it gets moved and have a spike.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m starting up my 210. I put my rock and sand in. I heard people talk about you mix your saltwater in your tank so put most of it with premade saltwater and then the rest with RODI. I’ve been slowly putting salt in and got it to 1.020 so far.

Welcome! it will not resolve, but it will dissolve, as long as you have flow in the tank. You want to aim for 1.026 specific gravity.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When starting out weigh your salt out until you get your desired salinity. Then record the weight. What I do is a 20 litre bucket I put a marker pen mark near the top for reference of water every time the same then I weigh out my salt in grams and add to the rodi water power heads in and small heater to match tank temperature this way it takes all the messing about out of the job this is more for water changes but works for me. I think I read could be wrong 35 grams per litre gives you 1.025 my maths could be out but I am sure I’ve read it somewhere.

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You can bury salt in the sand and it will dissolve. No worries about that. Water always will until the saturation point(which is way higher than you want).

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back