Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, couple of weeks ago i've bought 3 frag from a guy, i've noticed it was having aipstasia in his tank and i must say i did not dislike them, yeah not colorfoul but still interesting.

Today i have noticed a small aipstasia near a xenia frag. the frag is detached from the other rocks so it may be just in there and did not go yet on the rest if the rocks (is a nano 15g tank).

How bad are aipstasia? Can i keep it? Pleeeeaseee :D ...no really, are they really bad? they kill other corals? they bring other pest? or they just propagate until where you spent most of the days just trying to get rid of them.

IMG_20220919_191056.jpg

enricocoron

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove the rock, kill all and any you see, they are the reason I gave up on my first tank years ago and on tank two everything has been in Q mainly to avoid them. Apstasia X, Kalk, boiling water with a syringe/needle. I would go get a couple peppermint shrimp as well as likely they have spread and you can't seem them yet.

Nutramar Foods

Garpgarp

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't have any personal experience with aiptasia and what coral they can actually harm, but if you want to keep them go for it. It's not like there aren't known ways to mitigate them if you ever get sick of it.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
let's see updated pic

I was about to write: what a neat crossroads you're at.

fifteen thousand reefers would give $$ each to go back in time to this crossroads, the 1st aiptasia/what to do

I was going to say, get a saw and saw that rock anchor point clean off.

you now have a new shaped rock, missing the entire chunk the aiptasia was formerly on, and all it's mass is gone from your tank. this is the #1 control on the planet, everything else is .0001% risk because aiptasia are from mars

but Ill tell you this, if that boiling was ten or so longer minutes, I will vote it 99.9992 likely to win. but not 100%. you took the stern way even before knowing of the great aiptasia crossroads, impressive response.

*what the masses did before you was joe's juice in the full running reef, causing fragmenting dieoff.

totally opposite of rock is gone, anemone mass 100% gone. boiling if sustained long enough can kill BUT live rock is very thermally-resistant anyone can prove this

lift out a chunk and aim a blue torch lighter on the rock in a non coral spot for 15 secs, heat it

it's still cool even after your laser burn :) it takes a lot of work to get heat into a live rock, and keep it there. so, boiling has a small fail rate.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Tired

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
NEVER boil live rock. You can release toxins into the air if there's anything nasty on it.

A single aiptasia is easy to get rid of. Pull the rock out of the water, and wait for the aiptasia to retract. Once it's all balled up, put a few drops of liquid superglue on it to cover it. Keep an eye on the spot. Most of the time, it'll kill the aiptasia. Now and then the aiptasia squishes out to the side, in which case, all you have to do is repeat the glue to get it properly this time.

Top Shelf Aquatics

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, couple of weeks ago i've bought 3 frag from a guy, i've noticed it was having aipstasia in his tank and i must say i did not dislike them, yeah not colorfoul but still interesting.

Today i have noticed a small aipstasia near a xenia frag. the frag is detached from the other rocks so it may be just in there and did not go yet on the rest if the rocks (is a nano 15g tank).

How bad are aipstasia? Can i keep it? Pleeeeaseee :D ...no really, are they really bad? they kill other corals? they bring other pest? or they just propagate until where you spent most of the days just trying to get rid of them.

View attachment 2833409
I started out with 1 aptasia few months ago also….
image.jpg
image.jpg

brandon429

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
let's summarize

These things will wreck your tank, featured above.

you have a choice to play, or not to play.

if anyone spent 1 hour reading all possible help posts on aiptasia you see this trend:

has one, opts for what the masses recommend, which is any action in the tank where the mass is not removed, or expected to die and rot within the tank, inside a hole, and not leak out viable cells.

that rock above itself, what is that like $18 at most to replace? heck just dry out that rock, buy a replacement to fill it's spot, saving your whole tank for eighteen dollars. then after 3 mos drying, add this rock back.

don't play around with dinos, or aiptasia, and you don't go down the path the masses go down. they all could not stand to part with the original 1 rock, as the first aiptasia showed up at the bottom of a giant rock stack nobody was willing to access. that's just what the martian needs to takeover the planet

OP
OP
fr3n0z

fr3n0z

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NEVER boil live rock. You can release toxins into the air if there's anything nasty on it.

A single aiptasia is easy to get rid of. Pull the rock out of the water, and wait for the aiptasia to retract. Once it's all balled up, put a few drops of liquid superglue on it to cover it. Keep an eye on the spot. Most of the time, it'll kill the aiptasia. Now and then the aiptasia squishes out to the side, in which case, all you have to do is repeat the glue to get it properly this time.
it was like a 3x6cm rock....it was like a small "island" so i tought, why not.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
let's summarize

These things will wreck your tank, featured above.

you have a choice to play, or not to play.

if anyone spent 1 hour reading all possible help posts on aiptasia you see this trend:

has one, opts for what the masses recommend, which is any action in the tank where the mass is not removed, or expected to die and rot within the tank, inside a hole, and not leak out viable cells.

that rock above itself, what is that like $18 at most to replace? heck just dry out that rock, buy a replacement to fill it's spot, saving your whole tank for eighteen dollars. then after 3 mos drying, add this rock back.

don't play around with dinos, or aiptasia, and you don't go down the path the masses go down. they all could not stand to part with the original 1 rock, as the first aiptasia showed up at the bottom of a giant rock stack nobody was willing to access. that's just what the martian needs to takeover the planet
For what it’s worth I have a friend who removed aptasia covered rock from his tank and put outside on the side walk for 2 months!!!! Then put back in his tank and within 3-4 weeks all the aptasia grew back!!! I would not believe it if I wasnt just at his house and seen with my own eyes.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And you are never supposta boil live rock this is very dangerous to do as the toxins get released into the air thru the steam and when you breath it you can get sick. Assuming toxins was on the boiled rock. But this is documented !!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

brandon429

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I 100% believe that someones dried rock sprouted the martian enemy

that was untested advice for me to relay, legit.

take this rock in question here in the pic #1, cut off only the end numbs with a rotary saw.

put the nubs back in the tank, leaving out 90% of the rock + aiptasia gone lol, universal measures. well-tested measures. quit kid gloving aiptasia, and enforce man will upon them. leave a divot where that aiptasia used to be; get creative, you have power tools, rinse it all off outside the tank before setting back into the scape.

OP
OP
fr3n0z

fr3n0z

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it boiled about 15 min so should be gone, rocks was probably starting to live but i started the tank (in june) from dead spaghetti rock so it wasn't full of life i believe. Frag was unattached to it so it give ti a go. problem is my 3 only frag they all came from that tank of the guy that had aiptasia in first place...sooo...i'm f***ed.

HBtank

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have thousands and thousands of aptasia. This is to feed my nudibranch system. I have 2 80 gallon frag tanks and 1 40 gallon breeder full rim to rim
I figured you had berghia, impressive

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
FM
Back