May we please discuss seam breaks in 2-3 yr tanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they can pay me to advise owners how to skip cycle transfer all animals from one tank to another for sure

as a liaison, with the new tanks department

rtparty

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think one thing to make sure of is to not fall to the fallacy of more easily accessible data/info = greater true frequency of events. Meaning just because you hear of red sea tanks with issues, doesn't mean its exclusive to or even unique to red sea. No one is reporting the true number of broken and unbroken tanks across brands, so take this thread with a grain of salt.

Find one other brand with 10 seam fails in the last year. Hell, last 5 years. Throw in that the failure is in the identical spot and always around the 2-3 year mark.

These aren't one off random incidents. There is a very distinct and easy to see pattern.

yanetterer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I may offer a suggestion @brandon429. If you and others are going to continue posting links to all of the failures in this thread, consider editing the first post to make a running list of all of the links. I think having a list of failures would be more impactful for anyone who stumbles onto the thread, rather than having the failures get lost in pages of discussion.

I got it started for you, hopefully I didn't miss or duplicate any.

Post #83
Post #86
Post #104
Post #116
Post #123
Post #124
Post #125
Post #138

areefer01

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I may offer a suggestion @brandon429. If you and others are going to continue posting links to all of the failures in this thread, consider editing the first post to make a running list of all of the links. I think having a list of failures would be more impactful for anyone who stumbles onto the thread, rather than having the failures get lost in pages of discussion.

I got it started for you, hopefully I didn't miss or duplicate any.

Post #83
Post #86
Post #104
Post #116
Post #123
Post #124
Post #125
Post #138

I understand you said start but if you are all going to track it should probably be in Excel or Sheets and have some more information. Something like date, link to post, one line note, total failure, caught before, action taken, closure, etc.

Loosy goosy doesn't really help much but structure may.

yanetterer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand you said start but if you are all going to track it should probably be in Excel or Sheets and have some more information. Something like date, link to post, one line note, total failure, caught before, action taken, closure, etc.

Loosy goosy doesn't really help much but structure may.
I agree, I didn't know if something like a spreadsheet could be embedded in a forum post, so I figured getting the links together at least provided some sembleance of order.

A more detailed spreadsheet sounds like a task to delegate to the thread starter :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feel free to collate any way that’s helpful

crazily, amazingly, shockingly, a new one for Monday

from this thread:

Brand new seam split, this post:
E42A8FBF-3010-4880-BCBD-711336877BBB.png

7727A26A-9AA4-4761-8FDB-D8BE4DBB703B.png

the mode of collection isn’t that important to me although that’s very organized above

the warning to me is in the number of pages showing breaks, brand new ones. I think anyone owning a 2-3 yr old model had better get darn good floor insurance

I heard State Farm pays the best, least hassle. They should come as a sales bundle with Red Sea

Last edited:

mmorriso

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I previously owned a Red Sea 525XL. While preparing the tank to move house, I noticed what I believed to be worm damage (It looked like a tiny little tunnel) to my bottom seam on the right pane of the tank.

The tank was already empty, so I reached out to Red Sea to see if they saw any problems with me applying a silicone patch over the damage.

They immediately offered me a replacement tank, and as they didn’t have any 525XL’s in the country, the gave me a free upgrade to a 625XL.

Comparing the two, I can see a number of improvements that have been made in the three years between when I bought my tank and the more recent XL’s:

- All corners now have silicone seam guards, so some failures were perhaps due to improper scraper use.
- There is now a metal lip under what was previously the floating front glass, so some failures were perhaps due to lack of support when leaning on the front glass.
- There is now an aluminium strut supporting the middle of the tank, so some failures were perhaps due to bowing / sagging of the stand.
- All glass is now much thicker, on all sides. This would be the most expensive change, so I think some failures were definitely the result of lower than required contact surface area for the silicone seam.

Anyway, those are my observations of the changes between V1 and V3 XL models. I think these observations are useful as Red Sea would not have made these improvements without reason so it seems there were a range of root causes for various failures.

The thicker glass would definitely have been the most impactful change, so to me it seems clear that prior models that had thinner glass were running close to the wind with regards to surface area for silicone seams.

With regards to support, I’ve never had a bad experience with Red Sea and in Australia at least they’re easily the best large aquarium tank or equipment vendor to deal with, by a long shot.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New one reported

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not buy one as well. that's not being mean, I know 20000+ of them have not broken. it's specifically because out of warranty breaks, 3-4 years (my current fishbowl reef is 17 yrs old, I have lengthy non break requirements) are not being helped they're being upsold for more costs and re-risks, which I find offensive. as soon as I get reports of out-of-warranty seam breaks being replaced without cost, 1st owners (I'm not unreasonably expecting them to warranty a 3rd owned used tank) then I'll link those examples here. Its amazing to me a flower vase from wal mart of the thinnest material not meant to have weight+rocks+reef lights shined on it nearly two decades can hold up, but a $4000 red sea tank can't, for as many pages as we're showing.

mmorriso

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its amazing to me a flower vase from wal mart of the thinnest material not meant to have weight+rocks+reef lights shined on it nearly two decades can hold up, but a $4000 red sea tank can't,
It’s amazing to you that it’s easier to hold 1 litre of water as compared to 400+ litres of water? You can’t understand how a small volume single pane blown glass vessel can be stronger than a vessel made of multiple panes held together with silicone? This thread itself is titled “seam breaks” and it’s amazing to you that tanks with seams have issues that tanks without seams don’t?

I think this thread is a good idea but comparing a vase to a 400 litre fish tank is ridiculous, they’re fundamentally different from a materials perspective.

Glass can only be so thick before it’s hard to see through, silicone is only so strong and you need thicker glass for more surface area.

I’m not trying to be a Red Sea apologist but rimless tanks are simply risky at large volumes and Red Sea was the first company to offer large volume rimless tanks. In my country, Waterbox and Aqua One are the only other companies that offer “off the shelf” rimless tanks of 250+ litres (Maybe CADE but I never see them in real life) and they also now appear on my Facebook feed with leak posts.

If you look at the G2 line from Red Sea, the major change is the inclusion of a top brace. Red Sea grew their business substantially off the back of rimless tanks, if even they’re moving away from that design, that’s as big of an indictment as you’ll get.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you picked up and held a thin glass deco vase from wal mart, it's paper thin, not meant for all the rocks and water and constant light degradation and occasional bumps

yes, red sea is well below par in anyone's books.

mmorriso

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you picked up and held a thin glass deco vase from wal mart, it's paper thin, not meant for all the rocks and water and constant light degradation and occasional bumps

yes, red sea is well below par in anyone's books.
But it’s a single pane of glass?

No one is saying red seas glass is bursting open, it’s the silicone seams. A chain is only as strong as the weakest links etc.

I’m sure Red Sea could make an amazing vase too, but that’s not what most people want to create a reef in. If you find a 400 litre vase we can keep a few tangs in, let us know.

Rimless large volume tanks are flawed, and most manufacturers have had issues. I posted my experience to this thread in good faith but now it feels like there’s a bit of an agenda. Bye.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the agenda is that these breaks are from year production 2-3 or 4, that's too short of a lifespan to justify this cost and it's patterned serious and not stopping and predictable and anyone barely outside the warranty period is flatly discounted. I like to report on + analyze patterns in reefing, and this is a bad one. usually we're just working simple cycle stalls to save people from getting tricked into buying 5 bottles of bacteria, or we're working free tank transfer biology to prevent crashes of $20K systems, but this particular trend is just offensive to me, that a company can be this close-ended on a matter of such importance.

reefers investing this much cash expect to get 10, 20 years out of it, not 4.

we found and reported and collated this pattern, red sea didn't release it nor any preventative measures people can do to shore up the tanks before they split, that's unacceptable. A thin tiny vessel not even meant for reefing is more reliable than a four thousand dollar system, justify that any way you like.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The start of this thread is me asking to discuss the matter with red sea, who has a forum here to discuss their products and they went silent. any other vendor here would be engaging in discussions. common trolls in my threads are on block, from years ago, they try to derail my work threads routinely but it's easy to just turn them off/no impact.

1685142032077.png
out of sight out of mind / the ignore button is so very nice here, anyone who doesn't want to see this collection build can easy make it not seen

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Coral Frenzy
Back