Market shifts: What controllers are poised to make the biggest gains this next year?

BRS

What controllers are poised to make the biggest gains in the market this next year?

• Apex

Votes: 132 27.4%
  • Hydros

Votes: 235 48.8%
  • GHL

Votes: 28 5.8%
  • Reef Factory

Votes: 38 7.9%
  • Reef Pi

Votes: 32 6.6%
  • Other

Votes: 17 3.5%

• Total voters

Toky916

Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purely from a market gain i expect Reef Factory to be up there. Not very big in USA since its not available (yet), but their line up of products is increasing steadily. They just released their roller mat, pumps coming soon, multi tester (think mastertronic) coming soon. It could be a big year for these guys, if they get it right.
Reef Factory are also loved in Australia due to their support, quick release date and availability. Something that none of the other manufacturers are even close to (in Australia).

Personally I dont care at all for Neptune or Hydros. Not because i think their products are bad, but because these companies seem to focus on America either exclusively, or mostly.
Neptune is considered dead in Australia - and Neptune's excuses as to why they pulled their only AU power board and not replaced it do make you shake your head. Whats the use of a Neptune system if there is no power board available? Trident reagants have long lead times, months and no LFS is capable of getting them in consistently. Finally the distributor in AU is horrible, with my local LFS going as far as to say its a cartel.
Hydros - not available anywhere outside of USA.
So for those two companies, actually releasing to the international market in full (and supporting their products internationally) would be for me the best thing they could possibly do right now.

GHL - I have no thoughts on these guys. GHL is not popular or even close to it in Australia. More expensive than Neptune keeps most people away.

ReefPi - Great for the DIYer. But unless you are really invested in it, its a rather "ugly" and "large" solution that would require careful planning to take up minimal amount of space, be water safe and look good. If you want to put the effort into it, its a great project. Oh and the unavailability of Raspberry Pi's over the last year or two makes this project harder, and more expensive (PI prices going up)

my 2cents.
Great point.
I have been pleased with Hydros so far. I wish they would add an independent salinity probe.
haha surprisingly you still have Ecotech pumps. When I redo mine I got 2 plus’s 4s and two of the smaller ones. Remove all the drivers and cords.

CincyReefer07

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow… seems like I need to look into this Hydros bandwagon…

I’ve been with Apex for over a decade, and while I’ve had my share of issues over the years, their customer support has always been excellent… but I wonder if they’re loosing the edge and getting overtaken in the near future…

BRS (or the PE conglomerate that owns BRS) just purchased Neptune, so curious to see the response to this competition.
They didn’t “just” purchase Neptune…. It’s been a couple years I believe at this point now. Can tell by the BRS videos of the last couple years how heavily they promote Neptune over anything else or rarely mentioning anything else

BAMatter

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote Hydros, and have been excited about their product line, innovation, and the fact that they listen to their customer base for ideas and improvements. This is my first controller and I did a lot of research on Hydros as they were just starting out. Wasn’t a whole lot to research, but I liked their platform, ease of use, and expandability. Been solid watching them grow since they released the Control 4, and I really think they’re going to do more amazing things with it…

Attachments

• E49196C2-26B0-40A3-AD03-4B1DA404FBB2.jpeg
    E49196C2-26B0-40A3-AD03-4B1DA404FBB2.jpeg
    145 KB · Views: 96

n2585722

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm completely clueless with using these things. If your pumps are on separate controllers how do you integrate those into a single system.
If you are referring to the Hydros you make a collective and once a controller is a member of the collective all inputs and outputs are shared with the collective as a whole. So it acts like a large controller consisting of all the members. I have 9 controllers in my collective now. I added them a little at a time over the two years. I replaced a Archon with it and so far I have not found anything I wanted to do with it I was doing with the Archon.

Last edited:

rtparty

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you are the companies selling these, you will never know market share. I have heard rumors and one of them is STILL outselling all the others combined and it isn't even close.

I have used the big three (Apex, Hydros, and GHL.) You couldn't give me two of them at this point.

Steve2020

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I researched both GHL & Apex previously and went with the GHL. Now that Hydros is in the game, I would happily make the switch if something happens to my GHL unit.
Guess you're stuck with GHL lol. Very robust system that should last you for quite a while. 10,000,000 on and off cycles tested on the Power Bar 6E. Who else can say that. Programming the P4 is easy if you understand Boolean Algebra which most people have seem to have forgotten since the 9th grade lol. German engineering can't be beat for quality and reliability IMO. Food and beverage are the largest manufacturing groups in the world and 80% of the beverage production lines around the world are manufactured by 2 Germany companies. 15% by an Italian/French company and the rest from all other countries combined including the USA. These numbers are rounded to the nearest 5%. I am talking complete turnkey production lines. I recently retired from one of those Germany companies, so I have a pretty good knowledge of their manufacturing quality. I have the GHL Profilux 4 and am extremally happy with it. All my probes are at 2yrs of use and still very accurate. Even the conductivity probe is still reliable. That's what you get with high quality lab grade measuring devices and yes there are differences in so called lab grade sensors.

Dave-T

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydros all the way…really isn’t up for debate anymore…..easiest to setup and works with more third party equipment and tests ALL major water parameters and minor trace elements (if needed like Iron for instance with refugiums)….a lot of Apex users have been leaving for Hydros for reliability as well…Hydros controllers are IP65 rated and they use better hardware (ie meanwell power supplies that are passive cooled on their 8 plug hardwired outlets)…Hydros also doesn’t pigeon hole you where you have to choose the right option at the beginning or it quickly becomes garbage and have to rebuy the “right” module…all the modules are interchangeable with every hydros controller so that as your system grows, you’re not stuck having to buy all new equipment….Hydros offers the best redundancy in case of a failure in one of your controller modules…each module is a separate brain…if one fails, the next Hydros module takes completely over….best of all, they’re made end to end in house in Louisiana….they’re not made in China and other factories like the other company…why is that important? It means they can control the quality of each unit before it goes out the door…... they have alot of new products that will be coming out in Q1 such as the Kraken which allows you to take all the power bricks out of your cabinet and replaces it with one industrial grade meanwell power supply that’s waterproof which is excellent for cable management and safety plus it has a WHOLE system battery backup feature…not just for pumps but whole system in case your house loses power…also coming out in Q1 is the x10 controller that has 4 built in high precision dosers from Kamoer plus it comes with an K10 salinity probe that is rated for saltwater (Apex uses the less accurate K1 probe which is rated mostly for fresh water)…..if you couple the x10 with the Hydros iV for $120…you have an isolated vessel away from your equipment that can house your salinity probe to test conductivity accurately as compared to just directly in the sump where pumps can cause interference…also, at no extra cost, Hydros allows in Q1 in the software, the ability to test Alkalinity using any high precision dosing pump OF YOUR CHOICE (just have to calibrate the units accordingly) OR you can use three of the four dosers on the X10 directly OR just 2 of the precision dosers on X10 coupled with a simple Hydros doser pump powered by a drive port on X10 (to pump waste water from test to a waste bin - doesn’t have to be high precision for that) so it frees up one of the precision pumps maybe so you can do two part dosing AND get alkalinity testing at no extra charge….you can use the Hydros iV to facilitate the test as well OR you can use any glass cup and will work as well…it’s all about options and they understand that reefers like different products and don’t like being pigeon holed to use brand specific equipment dictated by a controller company…that’s the difference
and tests ALL major water parameters and minor trace elements”.

Wait - what? Is that true? Calc, alk, mag, nitrate, phosphate, …. It does automated testing? And it’s accurate? I had no idea. Please tell me more. I’m on GHL, getting frustrated waiting for the “ION Director”. I’m getting close to the point where I could be talked into scrapping the GHL ecosystem altogether.

design.maddie

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa! I thought I was going to be on a lone hill when I selected Hydros. I love my DC skimmer and have been eyeing all their other gear as I plan my tank upgrades. Then BAM!! ~54% vote for Hydros.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wait - what? Is that true? Calc, alk, mag, nitrate, phosphate, …. It does automated testing? And it’s accurate? I had no idea. Please tell me more. I’m on GHL, getting frustrated waiting for the “ION Director”. I’m getting close to the point where I could be talked into scrapping the GHL ecosystem altogether.
I think they are referring to it linking up to the Mastertronic. It will also link to the Alkatroinc or the Kamoer KH Carer. I have the KH Carer and really like it. Below are the readings I get from my KH Carer on my Hydros.

D6D81A02-B4BD-43C6-84BC-51E578D31AB8.png

n2585722

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydros! Easy to use. Good support and pricing is legit .
You can still do complex things with it also. I have my RODI and mixing station automated using the Hydros. It refill my DI storage automatically and transfers the water from my mixing tank to my fresh saltwater tank when the fresh saltwater tank goes low and the mix tank is ready to use. It then refills the mix tank with DI from the RODI. All I have to do is add the salt mix and press a button when it is ready to use. It also controls the Auto water changes along with ATO and All for Reef dosing.

CincyReefer07

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah they are referring to the fact that the mastertronic and alkatronic are compatible with the hydros. So yes, hydros can do all of those things with the mastertronic and alkatronic connected to it. Or with the new Kamoer kH Carer is also compatible, and later this year hydros has its own alkalinity testing device coming out also, which can also do salinity. So through hydros by itself, hydros will have alkalinity, salinity, pH, ORP, and temp testing. And as of right now to get any others, that can be integrated into hydros, you’d need the mastertronic to do stuff like calcium, magnesium, iron, nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, iodine, and OLI

DJ Mike Fury

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’ve attached a screenshot of my Hydros app. Works great!

Attachments

• 8BD77FFC-A5FB-4B1C-989E-0476B74C94A9.png
    8BD77FFC-A5FB-4B1C-989E-0476B74C94A9.png
    129.4 KB · Views: 86

CincyReefer07

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve attached a screenshot of my Hydros app. Works great!
Yes but you are using mastertronic correct? Your post makes it a little misleading what hydros does itself and doesn’t. I’m hydros all the way, don’t get me wrong. I just like to make it clear to people so they don’t feel misled

DJ Mike Fury

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you are the companies selling these, you will never know market share. I have heard rumors and one of them is STILL outselling all the others combined and it isn't even close.

I have used the big three (Apex, Hydros, and GHL.) You couldn't give me two of them at this point.
When a particular company like BRS doesn’t stock a competitor controller properly, doesn’t sell the complete product line, throws away already completed competitor product highlights after the merger, you’re not getting a fair gauge either. It’s just a lame tactic to control a narrative with sales since the new controller is seen as a legitimate threat. With this post, it’s showing that BRS can be a shill for Neptune all it wants in its confines, but outside its bubble, there are considerably better options and the community sees it.

DJ Mike Fury

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but you are using mastertronic correct? Your post makes it a little misleading what hydros does itself and doesn’t. I’m hydros all the way, don’t get me wrong. I just like to make it clear to people so they don’t feel misled
Nothing is misleading. Mastertronic is a facilitator like Trident that you buy separately from the controller itself. Only difference is one is third party and the other isn’t. It’s more semantics than anything else.

CincyReefer07

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing is misleading. Mastertronic is a facilitator like Trident that you buy separately from the controller itself. Only difference is one is third party and the other isn’t. It’s more semantics than anything else.
No I agree with what you are saying. But I’m Just saying, the way you made it sound in 2 posts made the guy think hydros on its own does it all. Be awesome if it did, maybe one day it will, with how well they have been coming out with new products, but in reality right now, it’s the mastertronic doing it, mastertronic is compatible with the hydros and can graph the readings and control the mastertronic

Last edited:

Batt

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I agree with what you are saying. But I’m Just saying, the way you made it sound in 2 posts made the guy think hydros on its own does it all. Be awesome if it did, maybe one day it will, with how well they have been coming out with new products, but in reality right now, it’s the mastertronic doing it, mastertronic is compatible with the hydros and can graph the readings and control the mastertronic
Hydros is releasing this year for you to test alk from it hydro unit. So yes hydros will be able to do some things it self.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been following on Hydros and know people with Apex. I have Icecap 4k gyres and the icecap controller runs hydos firmware and uses hydros app. Easy to use and will give notifications.
I also have sicce SDC wave pumps and an SDC return pump, nice app and will send notifications. Have Reefi Uno lights can only adjust locally but lights once setup why change program. Use 3 Kasa wifi power strips. So I have not decided to purchase a system controller. I am home most days so I observe and I don’t test all the time or do consistent water changes. Now I can leave for 4 days and not worry. If I need to be gone over a week would need a larger ato and auto feeder, still would not require a system controller.

CincyReefer07

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydros is releasing this year for you to test alk from it hydro unit. So yes hydros will be able to do some things it self.
Yea I’m well aware…. But that’s only Alk and salinity. He was making it out like hydros itself will test everything

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back