Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I understand brine shrimp are not as nutritious. Also missing a compound that marine fish need (DH something I think) If you do want to feed brine you should feed newly hatched. First day or 2 after hatching. They are super super easy to hatch and u can buy the eggs on Amazon. Equipment is just 2 soda bottles and and a air pump. I have hatched a few batches and will continue on occasion but I'm mainly doing pods. Also pretty easy =) Let me know if u want more info on any of it. Happy to help!

OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I understand brine shrimp are not as nutritious. Also missing a compound that marine fish need (DH something I think) If you do want to feed brine you should feed newly hatched. First day or 2 after hatching. They are super super easy to hatch and u can buy the eggs on Amazon. Equipment is just 2 soda bottles and and a air pump. I have hatched a few batches and will continue on occasion but I'm mainly doing pods. Also pretty easy =) Let me know if u want more info on any of it. Happy to help!
ok cool ill try to get some frozen mysis assap

Top Shelf Aquatics
AquaCave Logo Banner

Gahngoo

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don’t eat food you put in the tank. Live pods are what they eat
That's not true. I've had mandarins for years. A home aquarium will never have enough pods to fully sustain a mandarin.

I feed them nutrimar ova (shrimp eggs), then move them onto mysis. Then they'll pretty much eat any frozen stuff that fits in their mouth. I had one that used to eat flake food too.

Main thing is initially giving them a lot of attention with spot feeding small food and moving them onto larger, more meaty foods over time. Then I just feed them once a day with the rest of the fish, no spot feeding. They're only tough because people don't know how to care for them or they're not willing to do what's required.

I have a target mandarin living in a 10g. Got her as a minnow. She's about 8 years old now. I have to shoo her away from my corals when I feed them because she is a pig. She eats everything.

My 2¢

Last edited:
OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not true. I've had mandarins for years. A home aquarium will never have enough pods to fully sustain a mandarin.

I feed them nutrimar ova (shrimp eggs), then move them onto mysis. Then they'll pretty much eat any frozen stuff that fits in their mouth. I had one that used to eat flake food too.

Main thing is initially giving them a lot of attention with spot feeding small food and moving them onto larger, more meaty foods over time. Then I just feed them once a day with the rest of the fish, no spot feeding. They're only tough because people don't know how to care for them or they're not willing to do what's required.

I have a target mandarin living in a 10g. Got her as a minnow. She's about 8 years old now. I have to shoo her away from my corals when I feed them because she is a pig. She eats everything.

My 2¢
how do you move on from spot feeding to feeding with the rest of the tank?

Gahngoo

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do you move on from spot feeding to feeding with the rest of the tank?

They like to eat, so they actively go after floating/sinking food once they realize all the stuff that's been hitting them in the head is actually food.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They like to eat, so they actively go after floating/sinking food once they realize all the stuff that's been hitting them in the head is actually food.
ok great! thank you, love the way you worded "once they realize all the stuff that's been hitting them in the head is actually food"

jjflounder1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brine has no nutritional value so no, don’t feed that. I did have an mp10 in there, no refugium, ample live rock though from the ocean with lots of pods.
Newly hatched brine are an excellent source of protein .... Adult Frozen brine are not the best source of nutrition ... I soak Frozen brine in Amin-Omega . Kind of like selcon . ..
Although brine shrimp are not the best source of nutrition ...some days getting the kids to eat a Happy meal it's better than nothing ...

jjflounder1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always shut off all flow in the tank feed my other fish Omega One Mini pellets ... Kind of let them fill their bellies first . Then I would spot feed my Mandarin cyclops baby brine shrimp Frozen brine shrimp soaked in Brightwell's AminŌmega. he would almost bottle feed from a long tube connected to a syringe ... After 8 months he's finally starting to take omega One Mini pellets from the Sand ... When the Mandarin slows down eating ( takes an honest 5 or 6 minutes ) I turn one wave pump on low.... my firefish likes chasing down the last of the brine shrimp ... I give him a minute or two before I turn all the pumps back on ..
The entire tank loves a treat of freshly hatched live brine shrimp ...

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newly hatched brine are an excellent source of protein .... Adult Frozen brine are not the best source of nutrition ... I soak Frozen brine in Amin-Omega . Kind of like selcon . ..
Although brine shrimp are not the best source of nutrition ...some days getting the kids to eat a Happy meal it's better than nothing ...
I've got mine taking Mysis shrimp now, it decided to do this on its own without training so I was lucky I guess

Terry Mattson

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into the Poseidon reef system for growing pods and phytoplankton. I have a mandarin in a 93 gallon reef system. You will have new pods every 7 to 10 days and if a culture crashes Poseidon Reef systems replace quickly.

20200206_085531.jpg

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into the Poseidon reef system for growing pods and phytoplankton. I have a mandarin in a 93 gallon reef system. You will have new pods every 7 to 10 days and if a culture crashes Poseidon Reef systems replace quickly.

View attachment 1455413
I'll have a look into it but for a 93 gallon wouldn't you be fine with a good refugium and live rock?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Terry Mattson

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have a look into it but for a 93 gallon wouldn't you be fine with a good refugium and live rock?
I had copods everywhere in the tank and refugium. After adding the mandarin the population went down to a point that I no longer saw just a few. Took about 8 to 10 weeks. Then started buying pods. To expensive. So I now grow my own.

OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had copods everywhere in the tank and refugium. After adding the mandarin the population went down to a point that I no longer saw just a few. Took about 8 to 10 weeks. Then started buying pods. To expensive. So I now grow my own.
Do you have much rock?

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

RC
Back