Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the only issue I have with this is I dont have a sump. I tried to get a hang on the back refrigum but it does not fit ☹
We'll if you can't get a refugium going then the other thing you can try is BBS feeder. I haven't tried it myself but other people have success with it. Search for Mandarin feeder by PaulB on this site

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a pair of blue mandarins from Biota (over a year ago), they eat B2 pellets and Calanus, also mini myasis. I do offer copepods but I buy a bottle every few months and they are doing great!! They were tiny when I got them, but they have grown.
Ah thats good to know. The ones from biota are good with prepared foods?

snakemau

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah thats good to know. The ones from biota are good with prepared foods?
Yes they are! Just be sure to use the B2 pellets and lower your pump/Wavemaker so the pellets make it down to them. When I got mine they were tiny, like 3/4", but now they are almost 2", they been feeding on B2 pellets, PE Calanus and PE mysis or mini mysis. I don't have a refugium in that tank, so every couple months or so I get a bottle of tigger pods and add it at night. They been doing great, no issues. Biota got it!

Nutramar Foods

Mark Bradley

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was very weary of keeping a mandarin.
My LFS had trained one to accept frozen food and was telling me their ‘bad press’ was exaggerated.
They also described the mandarin as a ‘hunter’ - if it knew there was food being added it would find it.
So I braved it - I feed a mix of defrosted brine, mysis, krill and copepods (3/4 times a day) - the LFS has proved to be correct and my mandarin takes no more of my attention than anyone else and is a joy to watch foraging around.
I do put some live copepods in every now and then too.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was very weary of keeping a mandarin.
My LFS had trained one to accept frozen food and was telling me their ‘bad press’ was exaggerated.
They also described the mandarin as a ‘hunter’ - if it knew there was food being added it would find it.
So I braved it - I feed a mix of defrosted brine, mysis, krill and copepods (3/4 times a day) - the LFS has proved to be correct and my mandarin takes no more of my attention than anyone else and is a joy to watch foraging around.
I do put some live copepods in every now and then too.
Ah okay! Someone was telling me that those that take frozen food dont live past 6 months or so? How long have you had yours?

Mark Bradley

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah okay! Someone was telling me that those that take frozen food dont live past 6 months or so? How long have you had yours?
Well - that’s a bit of a tester then as I’ve only had it about 3 months. I do, however, throw in some live pods weekly. In this hobby I’m always a little nervous of ‘sweeping statements’ as it is so full of different opinions

Nutramar Foods
Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Top Shelf Aquatics
Back