Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"For now" is the key here. Long term is what needs consideration. Going cheap now is fine if you never intend on sps, LPS, or various anemone. You don't want to have to buy upgrades later.
but I do eventually want an anemone, so I'd rather get good lighting instead

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with cheap black box LED'S. They will grow everything you can find. However no customization and the light they give off looks awful (IMO). I switched to Kessils and couldn't believe the visual difference. They're expensive, but you get what you pay for which is why I recommended them originally. There's 10000 ways to reach the finish line in this hobby though.

OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"For now" is the key here. Long term is what needs consideration. Going cheap now is fine if you never intend on sps, LPS, or various anemone. You don't want to have to buy upgrades later.
But I do eventually want a anemone so I'd rather get better lighting

Jekyl

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but I do eventually want an anemone, so I'd rather get good lighting instead
Well, you have 2 months after cycling the tank before you should add any coral at all, and ANY lights are even needed. You have another 6 months after that before I would suggest getting an anemone. That's a long time to research lighting.

mrpontiac80

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATO…. I’ve been using the reefbreeders Prizim now for 2 years. It’s one of the lower cost ato’s available and works fantastic. I will use it again on other builds.

ATO reservoir…. I personally use a 10 gallon Petco tank that cost $20 as my reservoir. I did add a glass top for evaporation also from Petco for maybe another $20.

Lights…. I started out with AI HD Primes. They are awesome lights. They have all the control you want. I have since upgraded to Reefbreeders photon and will use again.
My friend uses Chinese black boxes over his 125 and you know what? For 4 years now he has had excellent success.

apex… still on my wish list. I do feel it is not necessary to start with and as a new reefer, you might gain more of an understanding of your tank without all the controls. Dosing by hand and etc is not too bad and eventually you can work up to a controller. It’s just another tool to help.. but definitely not required.

tests…. I would definitely recommend Hannah so you are not deciphering colors.
I do like Red Sea for the other stuff like mag, cal, and trace.

just my thoughts as everyone has a different budget and funds available.
Here is my homemade control board and ATO tank :grinning-face-with-sweat:
A1369333-1F35-4D2E-8FA0-5F4F297D6FC1.jpeg

OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATO…. I’ve been using the reefbreeders Prizim now for 2 years. It’s one of the lower cost ato’s available and works fantastic. I will use it again on other builds.

ATO reservoir…. I personally use a 10 gallon Petco tank that cost $20 as my reservoir. I did add a glass top for evaporation also from Petco for maybe another $20.

Lights…. I started out with AI HD Primes. They are awesome lights. They have all the control you want. I have since upgraded to Reefbreeders photon and will use again.
My friend uses Chinese black boxes over his 125 and you know what? For 4 years now he has had excellent success.

apex… still on my wish list. I do feel it is not necessary to start with and as a new reefer, you might gain more of an understanding of your tank without all the controls. Dosing by hand and etc is not too bad and eventually you can work up to a controller. It’s just another tool to help.. but definitely not required.

tests…. I would definitely recommend Hannah so you are not deciphering colors.
I do like Red Sea for the other stuff like mag, cal, and trace.

just my thoughts as everyone has a different budget and funds available.
Here is my homemade control board and ATO tank :grinning-face-with-sweat:
View attachment 2946193
Nice and yeah these suggestions have been made previously so I've got alot to look at!

jabberwock

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
water chemistry is a whole nother thing I'm confused on. I'm used to freshwater which seems so simply compared to saltwater. Corals and what not need certain parameters and I'm scared to death of hurting something.
You need to accept up front that you will have losses. Just like any other pets, we generally outlive them. Would hate to see you devastated when someone decides to go carpet surfing. My firefish got through the IM 25 mesh lid last night but thankfully landed in the back chamber.

I picked up an ATO reservoir from Walmart for 10 bucks... It is just a plastic jug, but works great. You will want an ATO for this tank if you live in a hot dry climate, maybe not needed in the 02189.

I thought this list might help you. Not perfect, but a good general list of what I did. The Tuna Blues are doing great for soft corals and macro algae. I built my own stand, and they were having a sale on the "pedestal" when I bought my tank so I got that for free.

I am into this setup for about $1700 and I have about $300 in my livestock.

reef_sheet.jpg

Jekyl

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't rush things. Building is the fun part. From then on it's just staring at a box of water that just doesn't seem to be quite right. Equipment can be added as you go. Get your tank, mixing station, rocks, salt, pumps, Heaters and heater controller. From there build a scape and get things wet. Even if it sits like that, empty and wet for months, you're still maturing the tank.

Koh23

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its for the ATO and the powerhead, I'm almost positive I put that lol
And still, that is at least 400$ overpaid...

Small pump, cheapest ato, even diy....

Invest money where it matters, investing in expensive and unecessary equipment dont guarantee sucess....

1100 for lights,rock and flow, rest buy what u can...

AquaCave Logo Banner

Jekyl

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And still, that is at least 400$ overpaid...

Small pump, cheapest ato, even diy....

Invest money where it matters, investing in expensive and unecessary equipment dont guarantee sucess....

1100 for lights,rock and flow, rest buy what u can...
100% agree. During the first few months or even a year you're still going to be quite invested in the tank. Constantly checking or changing things. Plenty of opportunities to top off or check parameters. An ATO is a luxury, not necessity. Apex while very useful requires you to be familiar with dosing and parameter swings. Both things that you won't have a clue about until at minimum the end of the ugly phase. Mine lasted about a year.

jabberwock

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't rush things. Building is the fun part. From then on it's just staring at a box of water that just doesn't seem to be quite right. Equipment can be added as you go. Get your tank, mixing station, rocks, salt, pumps, Heaters and heater controller. From there build a scape and get things wet. Even if it sits like that, empty and wet for months, you're still maturing the tank.
Well said. For perspective, I started purchasing components in June, tank got wet first week of september, ocean live rock first week of october, first fish 10 days later, yesterday I completed my stocking plan with the last fish for now. (neon blue goby).

Nutramar Foods

Jekyl

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I encourage you to go the ocean live rock route. I have done the dry rock ugly phase algae farmer routine and I never will again!
Agreed. Won't use dry rock again myself.

Corals.com

Koh23

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stupid as it may sound, but, tank, skimmer, ato, heaters, chillers, controllers..... They are not on "buy priority" list...

After deciding on tank size, lights, adequate quantity of rock and sand - that is first.

No necessary to buy, but ensure money for it, so when time comes, all one need to do is click "order".....

It makes life so easier when you have secured money for most expensive and important items....

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AF
Back