Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biggest misconception for new reefers is that everything needs to be perfect and all equipment is a must. This hobby isn't as hard as its made out to be, and the BRS videos are designed to make you buy things.
yeah, I just wanted everything to be perfect for the corals and fish I'll eventually be keeping I don't want anyone to die on me or for me to put them in the wrong environment.... I'm very serious about the fish I keep lol. But I've done freshwater my whole life and have no idea where to start on saltwater inhabitants

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you lol! I heard really good things about the Tunze stuff which is why I picked it are the Jebaos adjustable too? and mine keeps looking at all my research like she's going to tell me No never mind no tank lol
I have the same jebao pumps I started with almost 5 years ago. Top off systems while nice, and very useful, aren't necessary. I don't have one. Just top off daily while feeding.

Jekyl

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, I just wanted everything to be perfect for the corals and fish I'll eventually be keeping I don't want anyone to die on me or for me to put them in the wrong environment.... I'm very serious about the fish I keep lol. But I've done freshwater my whole life and have no idea where to start on saltwater inhabitants
Good tests, RoDi, sufficient lighting and willingness to learn water chemistry is all that's needed to be successful.

Nutramar Foods

Cell

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze powerheads are great. Silent, durable, effective. But they aren't exactly low profile if that is your goal. I'm a big fan of the Jebao SLW series based on the Nero design. I've been running 5 of them in various tanks for several years now and have had zero issues.

OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good tests, RoDi, sufficient lighting and willingness to learn water chemistry is all that's needed to be successful.
water chemistry is a whole nother thing I'm confused on. I'm used to freshwater which seems so simply compared to saltwater. Corals and what not need certain parameters and I'm scared to death of hurting something.

OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze powerheads are great. Silent, durable, effective. But they aren't exactly low profile if that is your goal. I'm a big fan of the Jebao SLW series based on the Nero design. I've been running 5 of them in various tanks for several years now and have had zero issues.
I'll have to check them out then!

AS

tydeck

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Focus on the vital parts. Tank, lights, pumps, heater, lid, . Don’t forget your scape.

$500 will get you a great light that never needs an upgrade

ATO can wait. Apex is awesome but can wait for awhile.

Cell

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
water chemistry is a whole nother thing I'm confused on. I'm used to freshwater which seems so simply compared to saltwater. Corals and what not need certain parameters and I'm scared to death of hurting something.
Seems way more intimidating that it really is. The worst part about water testing is how boring and tedious it can be.

Jekyl

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry. That's step 10 and you're still on step 1. It's a lot easier than you think.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Cell

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATO is really a great purchase if it can fit in the budget. You can get by without the Apex and use a Kasa Smart Strip instead for power monitoring and control

Sans ato, a cheap gravity fed bottle ATO is effective, but also an eye-sore.

OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems way more intimidating that it really is. The worst part about water testing is how boring and tedious it can be.
My weekly water test with my freshwaters drive me nuts especially because it's the same result week after week which is good! But like you said it's tedious lol

OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Focus on the vital parts. Tank, lights, pumps, heater, lid, . Don’t forget your scape.

$500 will get you a great light that never needs an upgrade

ATO can wait. Apex is awesome but can wait for awhile.
Yeah the controllers out, I'm thinking about the ATO I think I just really want one so bad! lol

Nutramar Foods

907_Reefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you lol! I heard really good things about the Tunze stuff which is why I picked it are the Jebaos adjustable too? and mine keeps looking at all my research like she's going to tell me No never mind no tank lol
I'm not an expert on the Jebao powerheads, I do run their wavemaker though which is adjustable/programmable, I've had no issues, and have 2 Jebao return pumps but just for mixing.

A big part of the fun here (I think at least) is researching, learning, trying different things and building out the tank as you go :)

I'm on my second tank and don't know much yet :face-with-tears-of-joy:

OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not an expert on the Jebao powerheads, I do run their wavemaker though which is adjustable/programmable, I've had no issues, and have 2 Jebao return pumps but just for mixing.

A big part of the fun here (I think at least) is researching, learning, trying different things and building out the tank as you go :)

I'm on my second tank and don't know much yet :face-with-tears-of-joy:
I will for sure look at the Jebaos!

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Jekyl

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What types of coral you're intending will also dictate the equipment needed. If just softies, a cheap light and HoB filter is all that's needed. If stuffed with SPS, then every piece of equipment becomes more necessary.

OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What types of coral you're intending will also dictate the equipment needed. If just softies, a cheap light and HoB filter is all that's needed. If stuffed with SPS, then every piece of equipment becomes more necessary.
I plan on just soft for now I don't wanna dive in too deep and end up killing a bunch of poor organisms.

907_Reefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the controllers out, I'm thinking about the ATO I think I just really want one so bad! lol

On ATO, I've run this tank for almost a year without one and as long as you are around regularly to top-up manually, won't be much hassle at all on a 25G. I only installed mine when we have had to travel a few times we recently as we don't have a tank sitter. I do enjoy watching the tank top itself up now though :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Top Shelf Aquatics

Jekyl

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on just soft for now I don't wanna dive in too deep and end up killing a bunch of poor organisms.
"For now" is the key here. Long term is what needs consideration. Going cheap now is fine if you never intend on sps, LPS, or various anemone. You don't want to have to buy upgrades later.

Jekyl

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"For now" is the key here. Long term is what needs consideration. Going cheap now is fine if you never intend on sps, LPS, or various anemone. You don't want to have to buy upgrades later.
Where lighting is concerned

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back