Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok Reefer Community, I need help. I got out of the hobby for about 18 mos. And looking to get back in but I want to do it right. Money isn’t really a concern but I am a value shopper.

I just bought a new tank and it will be delivered next week. It is a Planet Aquarium 150 (60” x 24” x 24”). External overflow. I am planning my lights. I want 3 islands of rock work with plenty of room for the fish to swim but I want to have a SPS prominent mixed reef.

I am looking at the Reefi lights as they seem to be pretty solid lights with a great warranty but I get so confused on spread etc…feels like some people will say you need 10 and then others will say 2 are just fine…LOL. I want great coverage front to back and side to side. Should I go with the Uni Pro 2’s (how many and what layout) or the Duo Extreme (again, how many and what layout. Also, how high should I mount them off the water? WAF is also a consideration. I will probably start with a tank mount but build a floating canopy at some point.

if the ReeFi are a mistake, let me know but would be interested in any experience and recommendations!

BRS

Eric R.

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally think the Reefi's are great lights in terms of both design (par, spread, spectrum, etc.) and price, especially compared to similarly priced lights. That being said, I also don't have experience with a wide range of lights as I'm relatively new to the hobby and tend to buy mostly used equipment. I have the gen 1 Unos. I know that Jim Graham (aka telegraham) who does a lot of light testing likes them.

Daniel, who owns Reefi, tends to be fairly helpful and responsive, so if you have questions, I'd suggest contacting him directly. I'm not sure that he's active here, but I know he's on the humblefish forum, so if you want to post over there I'd expect you'd get a response with his recommendation.

OP
OP
pgooden

pgooden

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally think the Reefi's are great lights in terms of both design (par, spread, spectrum, etc.) and price, especially compared to similarly priced lights. That being said, I also don't have experience with a wide range of lights as I'm relatively new to the hobby and tend to buy mostly used equipment. I have the gen 1 Unos. I know that Jim Graham (aka telegraham) who does a lot of light testing likes them.

Daniel, who owns Reefi, tends to be fairly helpful and responsive, so if you have questions, I'd suggest contacting him directly. I'm not sure that he's active here, but I know he's on the humblefish forum, so if you want to post over there I'd expect you'd get a response with his recommendation.

Awesome, thanks for suggestion. I will definitely cross-post over there and see what he says. Definitely still open to feedback from others!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
pgooden

pgooden

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too! I’ll definitely start a build thread. Really want to do this one right. I have never had what I would consider great success with corals. My problem has been chasing parameters and panic changing things too quickly after reading way to many opinions. Going to work with a LFS that always has really nice corals to get me setup and teach me.

I’m super pumped.

Eric R.

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too! I’ll definitely start a build thread. Really want to do this one right. I have never had what I would consider great success with corals. My problem has been chasing parameters and panic changing things too quickly after reading way to many opinions. Going to work with a LFS that always has really nice corals to get me setup and teach me.

I’m super pumped.

Rich Ross calls it developing your blue thumb. I've been watching/listening to Reef Beef on youtube/as a podcast, and as a somewhat beginner (I'm just over a year into keeping a reef tank, and have been lurking on forums for about 3 years now), I've found it incredibly helpful to help winnow down the helpful/reliable information from the noise.

I recommend checking out these two chunks from their longer videos, and if you like them, to check out the rest:

telegraham

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rich Ross calls it developing your blue thumb. I've been watching/listening to Reef Beef on youtube/as a podcast, and as a somewhat beginner (I'm just over a year into keeping a reef tank, and have been lurking on forums for about 3 years now), I've found it incredibly helpful to help winnow down the helpful/reliable information from the noise.

I recommend checking out these two chunks from their longer videos, and if you like them, to check out the rest:

This is how hobbyists should help each other. Respect.

@pgooden ... don't watch #72. telegraham is all 6s and 7s!

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
https://www.triton.de/en/
Back