Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang! That's a beast of a skimmer. I think I could fit my kid in that reactor chamber...

Did you need to adjust your sump water level to accomodate the excess water when this is powered off? I feel like this alone would be enough to flood my sump.
Give me a call. We'll figure out your draindown volumn and what if any the protein skimmer would add. You may not need as tall nor this large diameter for your system and if you are using a needle-wheel you will be extremely surprised at what it is not removing and all it is destroying. Oh, and I'm not a new member, I've belonged to this group for years but rarely look or read, except in this case my customer said he was posting his Lifereef skimmer here.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

FishTruck

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think with the 8” body and 55” of height that two Venturi’s are absolutely necessary.
I am curious. I'm running a seven footer (standard 6 inch diameter though) with just one venturi and I have to actually turn the pump power down - else I have to run the waterline so low in the skimmer that it dirties up the main cylinder (not just the neck) - making it a pain to clean.

I do like your modification of having two air drains, even with my my one venturi it sometimes blows the lid off the top. I think I may copy your design there!

legionofdoon

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Breaking in Bad
That's what mine looked like on a 40 breeder with about 70 total gallons when I first switched over from a needle wheel cone skimmer, now it's more of a tea than a stout but it always keeps a stable foam. It also knocked a dent in my chaeto growth. The skimmer body has more coraline than the rest of my tank but I don't think it matters, I just clean the neck every few months.

legionofdoon

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what it pulled since 10 pm last night.

Attachments

• IMG_20220616_114808364.jpg
    IMG_20220616_114808364.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 24
Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Ultraman

Ultraman

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what it pulled since 10 pm last night.
That’s definitely lighter than what I pull on my VS3-30” on my 375 gallon tank since October. That skimmer is a standard Venturi with a Mag 1800, it pulls dark green to brown liquid. Probably pull out about half that much in one day. But, every tank is so different. What pump are you running?

Nutramar Foods

legionofdoon

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s definitely lighter than what I pull on my VS3-30” on my 375 gallon tank since October. That skimmer is a standard Venturi with a Mag 1800, it pulls dark green to brown liquid. Probably pull out about half that much in one day. But, every tank is so different. What pump are you running?
DCP 8000 was running a mag but the DCP works better. It only on about 70 gallons so I'm happy with the color.

OP
OP
Ultraman

Ultraman

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DCP 8000 was running a mag but the DCP works better. It only on about 70 gallons so I'm happy with the color.
Yep, it’s what works for each tank. You probably drift downwards on your salinity a bit, but that’s not a biggie if you replace it.

Top Shelf Aquatics
AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Neptune
Back