OP
OP
Tinnerito

Tinnerito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good, and take a photo of the kit and test card showing nitrates. It will help

Edit we don't need you to retest, just photos of the kit and card
These are what I use most of the time, and yeah it turns out I was reading it at 5ppm, not 0.25ppm. I think its because most of the time I'll be testing for ammonia, and I am used to the second color level being 0.25. But thanks so much for the help though! I think I will buy a nitrate based fertilizer from my local(not so local) reef shop this weekend to get those numbers a bit higher before trying again. :)

Attachments

• 20240920_175344.jpg
    20240920_175344.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 29

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are what I use most of the time, and yeah it turns out I was reading it at 5ppm, not 0.25ppm. I think its because most of the time I'll be testing for ammonia, and I am used to the second color level being 0.25. But thanks so much for the help though! I think I will buy a nitrate based fertilizer from my local(not so local) reef shop this weekend to get those numbers a bit higher before trying again. :)
How are you measuring salinity?

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using this thing. It measures salinity by ppt. I just put some sea water under the slide, and shine a light through to see.
How are you calibrating it?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! My first leather coral has officially died, and has melted away. :( However I would like to use this opportunity for improvement. I've read that leather corals need a lot of nitrate, and at the time I was under the impression that the amount of nitrate ideal for a typical reef aquarium would be safe for leather corals, however I was wrong, and they need a lot more. I scoured the internet but couldn't find the info for such a simple question, hence I came here. What should my nitrate be for leather corals? It currently is about 0.25, and I am still working to raise those numbers. Thanks in advance!

I'd class 0.25ppm nitrate as very low.

Leathers I'd run somewhere around 25-50ppm

eliaslikesfish

Kinda Addicted to Anemone’s and Clowns.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are you running for filtration? if you’re using any chemical media you might try removing that for a while to get your nitrates up.

OP
OP
Tinnerito

Tinnerito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are you running for filtration? if you’re using any chemical media you might try removing that for a while to get your nitrates up.
I run an EHEIM canister filter with biological, chemical, and mechanical filtration. I suppose I can try removing the carbon layer for a bit and see what that does. Thanks for the info! :)

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well according to instruction, it should show accurate results as long as I clean it regularly, and that there is no air in the space that the water is being incased in.
this is true, as long as it is calibrated first. i have the same one, yours came with a little screwdriver right? grab some calibration solution from amazon and retest after you calibrated. there are some vids on youtube to help guide the calibration process as well. happy reefing :D

OP
OP
Tinnerito

Tinnerito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is true, as long as it is calibrated first. i have the same one, yours came with a little screwdriver right? grab some calibration solution from amazon and retest after you calibrated. there are some vids on youtube to help guide the calibration process as well. happy reefing :D
I get it now. I watched a video on how to calibrate it, but when I finished, The test for my reef tank showed a salinity of 60 ppt, which can't be right. I was told to calibrate it to 35 ppt with another fluid. What do you do to calibrate it?

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't buy calibration solution.

Make your own and that way you know it is correct.

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't buy calibration solution.

Make your own and that way you know it is correct.
would if i had time, getting solution has worked perfectly fine for me though. in the year I’ve had this refractometer I think I’ve recalibrated it once

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back