LC's 9th Anniversary Live Sale THREAD! 500+ WYSIWYG Corals, 100 Corals Listed Every Hour! 10AM PST/1PM EST, Saturday, January 28th.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Charlie the Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oddly enough, I was into this since I was a little kid. Fish / reefing are really the first passion I ever had, and I got my first fish tank when I was 7-8 or so. Then I got my first marine aquarium when I was around 14. So I feel as though I was born liking this stuff (;

OP
OP
Legendary Corals

Legendary Corals

Vendor Extraordinair
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The next drop of corals is now live!

1674937929952.png

New Game! - Memes for Reef Nerds

For this game, make whatever kind of meme you'd like that's coral related! Just have fun, something that only other coral reefers would understand.

The winner will be drawn randomly!

Link to meme generator:

1674937861114.png

Last edited:

tbrown3589

It's just me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
When I was 12 my mom had a reef tank. She kept a snowflake eel and a grouper. I was always fascinated when she fed them. When I was older and had my own house I found a 75 gallon tank at a Thrift Shop for $5 and decided it would be a saltwater reef tank. I added a MH light, a sump, and a skimmer and went to work!

OP
OP
Legendary Corals

Legendary Corals

Vendor Extraordinair
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just joined the sale, Sweet Zoas, when is the next drop? and what time zone are you in?
Thanks for joining in! We're on PST time. Drops are very 30 minutes, starting on the hour.

OP
OP
Legendary Corals

Legendary Corals

Vendor Extraordinair
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always been drawn to and had a love for all things Ocean and ocean animals, ever since I was little. Never knew about reef tanks though (since no one in my family shared my same love for animals). 8 years ago I accidentally walked into what I thought was a pet store to pick something up for my puppy, and to my surprise found a Reef store with an amazing little biocube reef setup that I knew I had to emulate. The rest is history! :D
A new pet store AND it got you into the hobby! That little puppy got some new roommates from that one visit. I too started off with an AIO tank, although I went with NanoCube.
I always had a FW aquarium growing up that my Mom would maintain, but it wasn't until I had a college roommate with a SW tank that I truly fell in love with the hobby. I helped maintain that aquarium for a couple years and after moving out, eventually started my own!
That's so cool to have met a reefer in college! I would have been instant friends with them. I always thought bringing a SW tank into a college dorm was a lot of work. And at least you got to learn how to keep a reef tank for free at first!

Very similar, i started with freshwater. new store in town had bio cubes setup and on display. the store owner burned me good at 16..
Ah yes, the good old All in One tank scheme. It really sucks us in. I also entered the hobby with an aio (NanoCube).

I grew up in Monterey, CA and for a time during my undergrad worked at a marine lab. Tough not to want a slice of the ocean in my house after growing up with it!
Hey, Monterey! I'm in San Jose. Did you work at Monterey Bay Aquarium or is there another place to visit?

Growing up my father kept both freshwater and saltwater tanks. I always loved watching the different fish and other creatures. I started with 20 gal freshwater/ turtle tank back in the earlier 2000's and still have it going except he's in a 65 gal now,. But always wanted to try a saltwater reef tank. Then in fall of 2021 I finally decided to take the plunge and jump into saltwater with a Fuval 13.5 and the rest is history.
A covid hobby! Fluval has such great tanks now. Did you see one set up for saltwater?

I was 9 years old going to the movies with my mom at a mall in Miami, and next to the theatre was a store called aquarium depot. On the display window I saw a tiny little acrylic tank with the waterfall filter, a little light and a nemo. We went in and the rest is history.
This is why LFS are so important in this hobby. Being able to see the magic of the ocean and to know that it's possible to have a piece of it in your home. Also... Congrats on the win!
1674938310043.png

I started reefing after taking a trip to Florida. I went snorkeling and so the beauty of our ecosystem. Later on that day, I talked to the instructor. He continued to explain how big of a danger the Great Barrier Reef is in. So longgggggg conversation and sad story, I decided to start researching and learning about how they spawn, to the way the rat amd survive. I decide to buy all kinds of corals amd tanks. I would frag them and sell them to pet stores. I also knew a lady that would send some of my frags off to a foundation that would bring them into a coral farm in the actually ocean that they have till this day. There are coral farms all around the world to try and reproduce the coral animals. I love having a piece of that in my heart.
Seeing corals out in their natural habitat is such an incredible experience. I actually went to the Great Barrier Reef myself early last year. I only saw a blip of it, but holy moly the size of corals and fish out there is incredible. It's definitely something every reefer should strive to see once in their life. You have such an admirable way of viewing the hobby!

Oddly enough, I was into this since I was a little kid. Fish / reefing are really the first passion I ever had, and I got my first fish tank when I was 7-8 or so. Then I got my first marine aquarium when I was around 14. So I feel as though I was born liking this stuff (;
My dad always had fish tanks so I too was in the hobby at a young age. Did you end up going to bookstores for all of your fishy knowledge too? There was no internet back then haha.

When I was 12 my mom had a reef tank. She kept a snowflake eel and a grouper. I was always fascinated when she fed them. When I was older and had my own house I found a 75 gallon tank at a Thrift Shop for $5 and decided it would be a saltwater reef tank. I added a MH light, a sump, and a skimmer and went to work!
A snowflake eel and grouper? What an awesome duo! 75 gallons for $5 is incredible. You can't even buy eggs for that price anymore.

OP
OP
Legendary Corals

Legendary Corals

Vendor Extraordinair
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are they easily diffrent or? i see the normal one calling me
1674938865088.png

And for the LC Grafted Tiger Lithophyllon, here's some more grown out pieces. I originally found this with just a sliver of the other color and carefully tried to grow it out. It took a little over a year of selective fragging, but it worked!

1674938886180.png

1674938891105.png

mww00ds

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A new pet store AND it got you into the hobby! That little puppy got some new roommates from that one visit. I too started off with an AIO tank, although I went with NanoCube.

That's so cool to have met a reefer in college! I would have been instant friends with them. I always thought bringing a SW tank into a college dorm was a lot of work. And at least you got to learn how to keep a reef tank for free at first!

Ah yes, the good old All in One tank scheme. It really sucks us in. I also entered the hobby with an aio (NanoCube).

Hey, Monterey! I'm in San Jose. Did you work at Monterey Bay Aquarium or is there another place to visit?

A covid hobby! Fluval has such great tanks now. Did you see one set up for saltwater?

This is why LFS are so important in this hobby. Being able to see the magic of the ocean and to know that it's possible to have a piece of it in your home. Also... Congrats on the win!
View attachment 2995308

Seeing corals out in their natural habitat is such an incredible experience. I actually went to the Great Barrier Reef myself early last year. I only saw a blip of it, but holy moly the size of corals and fish out there is incredible. It's definitely something every reefer should strive to see once in their life. You have such an admirable way of viewing the hobby!

My dad always had fish tanks so I too was in the hobby at a young age. Did you end up going to bookstores for all of your fishy knowledge too? There was no internet back then haha.

A snowflake eel and grouper? What an awesome duo! 75 gallons for $5 is incredible. You can't even buy eggs for that price anymore.
Differently not a covid hobby, sadly I had to actually work during the pandemic. Something about being an "essential worker" at the time. Nope, just a long time dream that I could finally achieve

tbrown3589

It's just me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Differently not a covid hobby, sadly I had to actually work during the pandemic. Something about being an "essential worker" at the time. Nope, just a long time dream that I could finally achieve
We were told if things got bad we would have to go to a hotel so our families couldn't infect us.

mww00ds

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We were told if things got bad we would have to go to a hotel so our families couldn't infect us.
My wife is a middle school counselor and was home the whole time getting paid. Long story short my shop put on a few extra pound from her covid baking experiments LOL

OP
OP
Legendary Corals

Legendary Corals

Vendor Extraordinair
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hour 4 is now live with the next drop of corals!

1674939676557.png

New Game! - Your Favorite Coral and Why

For this game, comment and post a photo of what is your favorite coral that you own. You know, the one you secretly whisper to that it's your favorite among all of your other pieces. The one coral that if you had to start all over again, it would 100% have a place in your tank. The one coral that if you could keep forever would follow you through all of your tank upgrades.

You can also write and show about your favorite type of coral too in case you love the species more than the specific piece.

1674939691328.png

tbrown3589

It's just me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hour 4 is now live with the next drop of corals!

View attachment 2995368

New Game! - Your Favorite Coral and Why

For this game, comment on what is your favorite coral that you own.You know, the one you secretly whisper to that it's your favorite among all of your other pieces. The one coral that if you had to start all over again, it would 100% have a place in your tank. The one coral that if you could keep forever would follow you through all of your tan upgrades.

View attachment 2995369
IMG_20230103_173020512.jpg

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Pirates Reef Corals
Back