Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed this four times now to make sure it wasn’t a coincidence but everytime I dose flatworm stop within 5-10 secomds my maxima clam retracts and spreads its mantle like it got ticked off with something (assuming flatworm stop) anyone else experience this?

KrisReef

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure what you’re describing. When I saw the title I was wondering if you were talking about a rhythmic spasm like perhaps repeated electrical shock- stimulus like I’ve seen in clams after adding assorted chemicals (alk, calc, nitrates,) and other things that are supposed to be safe? I have repeatedly found that soon after the clam fades into death. Spreading? (this is text discussion is getting a bit squalid -perhaps you should post a quick video clip if you can?

Family first, I hope you’re not seeing what I saw.

OP
OP
Vested

Vested

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure what you’re describing. When I saw the title I was wondering if you were talking about a rhythmic spasm like perhaps repeated electrical shock- stimulus like I’ve seen in clams after adding assorted chemicals (alk, calc, nitrates,) and other things that are supposed to be safe? I have repeatedly found that soon after the clam fades into death. Spreading? (this is text discussion is getting a bit squalid -perhaps you should post a quick video clip if you can?

Family first, I hope you’re not seeing what I saw.
I wish I got a video I just dont know If i want to dose it again incase it is bad. The clam is back to normal pretty quick, it looks like the mantel gets all wrinkled and retracts then will eject water and then maybe a minute later back to normal. But the response is almost immediately after dosing.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

KrisReef

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I got a video I just dont know If i want to dose it again incase it is bad. The clam is back to normal pretty quick, it looks like the mantel gets all wrinkled and retracts then will eject water and then maybe a minute later back to normal. But the response is almost immediately after dosing.
Interesting. They are very in tune with the water quality around them. I know a lot of medications warn people to add them in the tank in front of a return pipe or power head so that the medication will diffuse quickly to avoid shock to the creatures. I like to add food in the flows in the DT but put “medicine” into the sump so it gets diluted there before it gets pumped into the main tank.

I do think that we saw the same kind of response from the clams in this case. It will be interesting to see if other folks have had clam losses from the same product, or not?

OP
OP
Vested

Vested

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. They are very in tune with the water quality around them. I know a lot of medications warn people to add them in the tank in front of a return pipe or power head so that the medication will diffuse quickly to avoid shock to the creatures. I like to add food in the flows in the DT but put “medicine” into the sump so it gets diluted there before it gets pumped into the main tank.

I do think that we saw the same kind of response from the clams in this case. It will be interesting to see if other folks have had clam losses from the same product, or not?
Yeah supposedly its safe for everything, Ill keep this updated if anything weird happens. The clam has only been in my tank for a month though so if it dies cant say its directly related to the kz dosing.

formallydehyde

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah supposedly its safe for everything, Ill keep this updated if anything weird happens. The clam has only been in my tank for a month though so if it dies cant say its directly related to the kz dosing.
The label looks like it only says it's safe for fish, corals, "microorganisms," algae and "biological processes." Says nothing about safety for molluscs or any inverts besides coral. They also don't say what's in it. Thinking of that thread where all those people had clams die after dosing Vibrant due to its only ingredient turning out to be a quaternary ammonium compound.

Last edited:
Corals.com
OP
OP
Vested

Vested

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The label looks like it only says it's safe for fish, corals, "microorganisms," algae and "biological processes." Says nothing about safety for molluscs or any inverts besides coral. They also don't say what's in it. Thinking of that thread where all those people had clams die after dosing Vibrant due to its only ingredient turning out to be a quaternary ammonium compound.
Thats a good point, I hate that they dont say what is in it and I dont feel like risking it for unknown results lol.

minus9

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thats a good point, I hate that they dont say what is in it and I dont feel like risking it for unknown results lol.
There's definitely iodine/iodide in there, so be careful how much you dose. I forget how much I was dosing when I used it, but it wasn't the recommended amount (far less), but over time my iodine level was too high, along with a few other elements. I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze, especially since they don't tell you what's in the bottle. As mentioned before, it's most likely wormwood, with a few other additives, but who knows? If I don't know what's in the bottle, then it doesn't go in my tank. There are plenty of healthy tanks out there that don't use it, so I really don't think it has an overall benefit to the health of the animals or system. But I'm sure there are plenty out there that swear by it's power, which is okay.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Top Shelf Aquatics
Back