Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took well over a year to finally get coralline algae to grow in my 24 gallon AIO cube. I never added any of the coralline additives on the market, just waited for the purple stuff on my snails to take off. I was thrilled because the consensus is that coralline is a sign of a mature, stable tank. Yay!

The CA took off, covering every rock and the back wall. However, I noticed that there was an upper limit to the coralline on the back wall. It abruptly stopped about 4 inches from the top. It is as straight as a ruler, without a single spot of CA above. I first thought maybe it was a lack of light, so I adjusted the light to make sure the top four inches were well lit. It made no difference. The CA refused to grow above this apparently arbitrary line.

Then I finally saw what was causing this strange phenomenon. When I do a water change each week, I remove 5 gallons. That is the line! The coralline apparently cannot tolerate being out of the water, even briefly (20-30 minutes).

Has anyone else noticed this in their tanks?

diwit

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took well over a year to finally get coralline algae to grow in my 24 gallon AIO cube. I never added any of the coralline additives on the market, just waited for the purple stuff on my snails to take off. I was thrilled because the consensus is that coralline is a sign of a mature, stable tank. Yay!

The CA took off, covering every rock and the back wall. However, I noticed that there was an upper limit to the coralline on the back wall. It abruptly stopped about 4 inches from the top. It is as straight as a ruler, without a single spot of CA above. I first thought maybe it was a lack of light, so I adjusted the light to make sure the top four inches were well lit. It made no difference. The CA refused to grow above this apparently arbitrary line.

Then I finally saw what was causing this strange phenomenon. When I do a water change each week, I remove 5 gallons. That is the line! The coralline apparently cannot tolerate being out of the water, even briefly (20-30 minutes).
also check out this Apartments for rent in Keserwan Lebanon. if you are having any troublr to find best service.
Has anyone else noticed this in their tanks?
So in the last week or two I've had a fairly rapid growth of what appears to be bright green coralline algae. From the pictures I've looked at, it is similar. I know its nothing bad, and it kind of looks cool. Can someone tell me what it is there for? I read that it will turn purple eventually? Does it signify anything about my tank? Thanks

Corals.com

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I never really noticed it dying when out of the water that length of time, something to take note of during water changes. I am pretty quick on water changes though, the water is down maybe 2-3 minutes at the most.

Avast
Deltec

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

RED SEA
Back