+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

My tank is about a month old and has been progressing great with minimal issues. Diatoms came and went within a week about 10 days after startup. This bright green algae is starting to coat all the rock, only where the light touches though. It doesn’t come off with a toothbrush, is this the start of coralline? I did add two bottles of coralline cultures after the nitrate cycle was complete.
Thanks!

14088440-75FE-4B7E-AFDB-FBF5C35EBDCF.jpeg C6225A0A-4918-408F-AEA9-5CAFAEC23DBD.jpeg

AS
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
N

NH_Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t really mind it, it’s not particularly ugly and I like that it encrusts. I’ve just read a few things saying coralline can start bright green like this and then slowly transition to purple or pink

pennied

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t really mind it, it’s not particularly ugly and I like that it encrusts. I’ve just read a few things saying coralline can start bright green like this and then slowly transition to purple or pink
Not true. Coralline starts in the color it’s gonna be lol

Avast

mjw011689

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is green coralline, and most of my tanks get a little bit of it before the purple starts kicking in. Not sure if it’s the coralline changing color, or the purple just overgrows the green.

That being said, yours is much darker green than what I’ve experienced. It’s hard to tell from the photos, but is it actually a hard encrusting algae, or do any parts of it have some sort of filamentous look to it? You say it doesn’t come off, so it may be a shade of coralline, just an oddly dark green. I usually see a very light line green.

OP
OP
N

NH_Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a week ago there were a few small filaments that I only say because they were catching bubbles but those disappeared quickly. It’s all just encrusting green now, doesn’t budge at all with a toothbrush.

Budman93

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's natural. All tanks have it although Im not sure why there isnt a name for it. Well im sure there is but i havent heard it browsing the forums here. It will eventually go away as other algaes out compete it.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
Deltec

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Black Label Aquatics
Back