Kessil Show Off Thread (Warning, may be picture heavy!)

Which Kessil Product Do You Use Or Have Used

• Total voters

itisjp

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using a Seneye, and it consistently records above 500 par at 72% PUR every time I measure it in the middle of the tank near the top where I have my lights mounted. Argue if you like but I will take a consistent measurement with that device. Granted I have a 5 foot tank with the middle two lights closer than 18 inches. I just know what my Par and Pur readings are. By all means if you don’t believe it come over and measure for yourself. The outer two lights are further apart so I can keep a mixed reef. And I keep looking I have yet to find anything specific for PAR or PUR care for specific coral. I would love to see something like that though. They have enough power to grow any Acro I have put in the tank so far and once I knocked it down from 80 to 60% on the LED’s the coral started looking much better and the coloration improved.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems the Seneye is very generous with PAR levels. BRStv's measurements of the A360WE were much more conservative with a LiCor as were my own measurements with an Apogee meter. I have no PUR data to provide to the conversation but can say 60% color has produced great coloration for my acroporas.

Edit: I cant reproduce those PAR levels with my lights mounted 5" above the water for what it's worth.

itisjp

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saying my middle two lights are much close than 18 inches so it’s almost certain I am combining hot spots but it’s by design so I can have high par in the middle and lower par on the outer two lights. I kept moving them around before I mounted them. Not trying to be combative, it’s just the readings I get. The middle two are about 8 to 10 inches apart and a little offset from the x-axis buy 3 or 4 inches.

itisjp

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems the Seneye is very generous with PAR levels. BRStv's measurements of the A360WE were much more conservative with a LiCor as were my own measurements with an Apogee meter. I have no PUR data to provide to the conversation but can say 60% color has produced great coloration for my acroporas.

Edit: I cant reproduce those PAR levels with my lights mounted 5" above the water for what it's worth.
Just remember in that same episode they also mentioned how close the Seneye was in accuracy to that Apogee... Which is one of the main reasons I bought a Seneye.

Hentz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is this frag tank, I think your better off with 360s. Even in a shallow tank 160s are not meant for high demand corals.

So I actually found a pretty incredible deal on a Red Sea Max Nano. Includes the AI Prime HD. Planning on kinda flipping it to help fund a Frag tank as my Corals paid for this tank alone.

Though thinking about it, I may just keep it and use this as my Frag/QT tank since it’s full setup as it is. But would rather switch out the Prime for a Kessil.

Tank is 18x18x18 with filtration built in the back, so front to back of Display is 15.5” I believe. Don’t take my word on that.

It would be mainly for SPS frags and Zoas. It wouldn’t necessarily be a growout tank as my 120 is my main display. But would still like to have some growth in the tank.

Still a Kessil 360 or would the Kessil 160 but suitable?

itisjp

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0D482BF4-7DBE-4D82-A979-725D72CC3A60.jpeg
Not sure what you're using to measure PAR but an A360WE wont produce 500 PAR anywhere under the water if it's mounted 9" above the water.

E268FA6E-7893-4051-9760-E89664EACABB.jpeg

2B40FAD6-B0F3-4112-A4AF-CACC073FC476.jpeg

345F403A-2B5B-44ED-B1F9-CD86D9A67D59.png

itisjp

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

itisjp

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I actually found a pretty incredible deal on a Red Sea Max Nano. Includes the AI Prime HD. Planning on kinda flipping it to help fund a Frag tank as my Corals paid for this tank alone.

Though thinking about it, I may just keep it and use this as my Frag/QT tank since it’s full setup as it is. But would rather switch out the Prime for a Kessil.

Tank is 18x18x18 with filtration built in the back, so front to back of Display is 15.5” I believe. Don’t take my word on that.

It would be mainly for SPS frags and Zoas. It wouldn’t necessarily be a growout tank as my 120 is my main display. But would still like to have some growth in the tank.

Still a Kessil 360 or would the Kessil 160 but suitable?
I wish I could tell you the answer but the more experience I get with LED’s the more I believe there is a need for people to post par and pur readings for corals with good coloration and growth. I am also interested in what you put in a frag/grow out tank... I am also wondering what I can use for the same thing. If you figure it out please let me know.

Somuchflo99

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those pics are beautiful, what are you using to take them? Nice tank as well!
thank you very much I’m just using my iPhone 7s and no filter I love my kessil and it’s hard work that it provides the phone doesn’t do half the light does for my display

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 691159 Just figured I’d throw up a picture of my kessils to the thread everyone’s tanks look great in the thread!! Enjoyed checking them out!!
Mind if I ask what settings you run your lights at? I have one AP700 above my 40B and I am still trying to tune it to where I want

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely! :) What size tank, how far away from the water surface is the bottom of the light and what corals are you keeping?
its a 40B and the light is about 12in above the tank (I think). As far as corals go, I am mostly going to go with zoas, montis and acans (possibly a nem) but the tank is currently empty except for a few fish.

OP
OP
Homelander

Homelander

I'm Homelander, I can do whatever I want.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a 40B and the light is about 12in above the tank (I think). As far as corals go, I am mostly going to go with zoas, montis and acans (possibly a nem) but the tank is currently empty except for a few fish.
I would actually lower the light a bit, down to 8 to 9 inches, and with monti's you can turn it up to around 50%, start out low though and work your way up on intensity :) And as far as spectrum anything under 50% color or ocean blue 3 on the color

Rookie_reefer_420

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mind if I ask what settings you run your lights at? I have one AP700 above my 40B and I am still trying to tune it to where I want
I run them at 20% max in a middle blue setting. I start em at 10% and run em up to 20% and then back dow for the sunset. I only have a few SPS in the tank that I only just put in. So they’re still acclimating to the new lights in general. So far so good at that percentage. Wish I had better information for you

OP
OP
Homelander

Homelander

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run them at 20% max in a middle blue setting. I start em at 10% and run em up to 20% and then back dow for the sunset. I only have a few SPS in the tank that I only just put in. So they’re still acclimating to the new lights in general. So far so good at that percentage. Wish I had better information for you
Any information is good information :)

FragileReefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting a new build. Innovative marine 14 peninsula stocked with only LPS. This seems like the perfect tank for an A80. But as I do more research I find very few similar tanks using the A80, the ones who start with one tend to "upgrade" soon after. Kessil A80's par has been reported to be 50-150 par at 100% which is in the LPS ideal range. Am I missing something here?

Am I just cheap an trying to use a sub par light? Or are the threads filled with gear junkies who want to use the Ap700 turned down to 5%. (Joke).

I know the A160we has more LEDs but is the spectrum different, like does the A80 not have a uv chip?

I wish the A80 was 25watts.

This info was from basic research on this forum, so if I'm off based let me know.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting a new build. Innovative marine 14 peninsula stocked with only LPS. This seems like the perfect tank for an A80. But as I do more research I find very few similar tanks using the A80, the ones who start with one tend to "upgrade" soon after. Kessil A80's par has been reported to be 50-150 par at 100% which is in the LPS ideal range. Am I missing something here?

Am I just cheap an trying to use a sub par light? Or are the threads filled with gear junkies who want to use the Ap700 turned down to 5%. (Joke).

I know the A160we has more LEDs but is the spectrum different, like does the A80 not have a uv chip?

This info was from basic research on this forum, so if I'm off based let me know.

I have no idea what diodes are on the A80 but if I had to guess, I'd be extremely surprised if it had a different spectrum than the A160/A360. One A80 is asking a lot from the A80 in regard to coverage as PAR falls off quite a bit as you move away from the center of the light. I have no doubt that two would work fine but one is pushing it based on coverage (in regard to intensity) base on the measurements I've taken on an H80 (different spectrum but spread is likely very close).

OP
OP
Homelander

Homelander

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20" long you would want two a80s as they lose power the further you get out from under the light.

OP
OP
Homelander

Homelander

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone running 2 a350w's on a 40b? I have them set to 45% blue 30% white at the moment and they have always seemed to produce washed out corals after a month or so, was wondering what everyone elses experience was.
I had a pair of a360s over a 40 Breeder for a while and never went above 50% intensity. How far off the water do you have them?

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
WWW.ANIMATEDCORALS.COM
Back