Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m not sure what that would accomplish. I already know I can hear it from across the room. Measuring the sound right next to the fan was just a way to quantify it. My room is very quiet, and right now the Kessil fan is the loudest sound in the room. I just don’t like fan noise, to many or most people it probably wouldn’t be a problem. If I had your fridge or wine cooler, I would be complaining about them too. Apparently the 500 does have a variable speed fan. I might try that, if replacing the fan doesn’t solve the problem for me.
I think if the light has any fan that you'll probably not like it, so your options are probably slim to none in regards to finding something that can attain what you're after. I have both lights, 360x and 500x, so you'll most likely hear the fan on the 500x as well. I get that you want to attain dead silence in your living area, but personally I enjoy a little water trickle/movement, as this relaxes me. But sound/audio is my profession.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
D

Dave-T

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if the light has any fan that you'll probably not like it, so your options are probably slim to none in regards to finding something that can attain what you're after. I have both lights, 360x and 500x, so you'll most likely hear the fan on the 500x as well. I get that you want to attain dead silence in your living area, but personally I enjoy a little water trickle/movement, as this relaxes me. But sound/audio is my profession.
It sounds like you haven't read my original post. I have 6 GHL Mitras lights also over the same tank. Even though there are 6 of them, and each has twice the wattage of the Kessil, I don't hear their fans because they have variable speed fans.

Anyway, I just opened up the Kessil to replace the fan. Unfortunately, this was another case of my being "ready-fire-aim" when taking on a project. The Noctua computer fan that I saw recommended as a Kessil 360 replacement fan comes in a housing. The newer A360X light has the fan mounted right inside the heat sink. No housing. This actually seems like a better design, but I can't use this fan as a replacement. Perhaps there is a housingless fan I could use, or I could try to pull a fan out of the housing, but I'm starting to run out of steam on this project.
7EFD67F7-EB01-4967-99F5-7B1B911685F2.jpeg

F37B15CB-C6AF-4B77-99A4-CAD951B8BAC6.jpeg

Harold999

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you haven't read my original post. I have 6 GHL Mitras lights also over the same tank. Even though there are 6 of them, and each has twice the wattage of the Kessil, I don't hear their fans because they have variable speed fans.

Anyway, I just opened up the Kessil to replace the fan. Unfortunately, this was another case of my being "ready-fire-aim" when taking on a project. The Noctua computer fan that I saw recommended as a Kessil 360 replacement fan comes in a housing. The newer A360X light has the fan mounted right inside the heat sink. No housing. This actually seems like a better design, but I can't use this fan as a replacement. Perhaps there is a housingless fan I could use, or I could try to pull a fan out of the housing, but I'm starting to run out of steam on this project.
View attachment 3037414

View attachment 3037413
Can't you solder some kind of (pc?) fan controller or adjustable resistor to the fan? This will come outside the housing and has to be adjusted by hand but at least it's a way of reducing the sound.
If you use the light at max 60% the fan has only to run at 60% too.

Removing 40% of the fanblades will decrease airfow too altough it might run faster due to less weight. :)

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
D

Dave-T

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm. Adding a potentiometer could maybe work. I guess the worst thing that could happen is that the light overheats and dies. I wonder if it has built-in overheating protection that will automatically shut it off.

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm. Adding a potentiometer could maybe work. I guess the worst thing that could happen is that the light overheats and dies. I wonder if it has built-in overheating protection that will automatically shut it off.
I'd totally try that with one of those Chinese kessil knockoffs versus possibly trashing a good A360x.

minus9

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

View attachment 3037414

View attachment 3037413
I've read your post and understand. The Mitras have a much bigger housing, which helps to reduce the noise of the fans. There's probably not much you can do with the Kessil that will reduce the noise to your liking. I'll bow out now, as I don't think I can help out here. Good luck!

AquaCave Logo Banner

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a good idea. Where can you find one of these Chinese Kessil knockoffs?
Ask and we shall receive.

AliExpress... It's actually about 140$

US $36.82 30%OFF | A7S2 Himarine 100W Reef LED Light WiFi Program Seawater Marine Coral Reef Lights SPS LPS AquariumA7S2 Fish Tank Lighting EN APP

World Wide Corals

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Battlecorals
Back