Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh. Thanks. I stand corrected, I guess. I've done some work with using PWM to control the speed of DC motors, and I always used the PWM signal on the power lead to the motor to control the speed. I don't get why they'd need an extra pin to do that. But there's a lot I don't know.

Anyway, I just did some testing on my Kessil. I turned everything else off and used a decibel meter on my phone to check the fan noise on the light. I put the mic on the phone right up to the light. And this confirms what I said. At intensities of 100% all the way down to 1%, the sound is the same - 50-60db. Not until you turn the light off (0%), does the fan turn off.

So what's up with that? Do you really think my brand new light is defective?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

_AV

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PWM is a very weak signal, coming from the controller. It must not be used to power anything directly, especially the motors. The power comes separately and the PWM signal comes separately. Hence the need for the extra wires. Both, to provide sufficient power and to protect the controller from the voltage spikes coming from the motor itself.

If the light works properly, you won't get the fan running at full speed immediately by just changing intensity. It will ramp up very very gradually as the temperature of the LED cluster increases.
If there is a problem on the fan circuit, the fan goes full speed at any intensity and shuts entirely off when the intensity is at a zero.

Another possibility, is that the fan is not balanced, this often happens if one or more fins break off during shipping. The fan would then be making a significant noise at any speed, but also there is a noticeable vibration that can be felt holding the light in your hand.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dave-T

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried turning the light off for an hour to let it cool, and repeated the same experiment. The fan still comes up to 100% as soon as I turn the light on at 1% intensity. So I guess I will go ahead and contact Kessil support. Ugh.

Nutramar Foods

Harold999

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried turning the light off for an hour to let it cool, and repeated the same experiment. The fan still comes up to 100% as soon as I turn the light on at 1% intensity. So I guess I will go ahead and contact Kessil support. Ugh.
Let us know what Kessil says. Your experience is exactly mines.

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I heard back from Kessil. At first they said it wasn't normal, and asked me to blow out the light with compressed air, send them the serial number, proof of purchase, and a video demonstrating the problem. So I did all that and they now say it is normal. They said "Yes, the fan operates at a single speed as it's not a variable-speed fan." Frustrating, but I believe them. It's probably fine for most people, with all the other background noise that a tank generates, but my tank is SILENT, and I want to keep it that way. My Mitras lights are dead quiet, and my sump is in another room. So the tank is quiet.

So, moving on - any suggestions for (silent) Kessil alternatives?

_AV

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I heard back from Kessil. At first they said it wasn't normal, and asked me to blow out the light with compressed air, send them the serial number, proof of purchase, and a video demonstrating the problem. So I did all that and they now say it is normal. They said "Yes, the fan operates at a single speed as it's not a variable-speed fan." Frustrating, but I believe them. It's probably fine for most people, with all the other background noise that a tank generates, but my tank is SILENT, and I want to keep it that way. My Mitras lights are dead quiet, and my sump is in another room. So the tank is quiet.

So, moving on - any suggestions for (silent) Kessil alternatives?
Care to post the video you sent them?

AquaCave Logo Banner

_AV

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm... Very hard to determine as I can't really hear a drastic difference in the actual noise.
For a moment it did sound like a vibration type of noise...

Do you want to send it to me for an evaluation?
If it turns out to be normal, you'll only pay return shipping and get it back.
If there is in fact a problem, I'll repair and will do a video on it. It would have a nice back story for once. I'll charge for a typical kessil repair and you will have a normal working light back.

If interested, just submit a repair request here: https://www.fixreef.com/mail-in-repair/
Mention your R2R user name in the ticket so that I remember to record a video.

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, but I'm sure enough that it's normal. I don't think the noise would bother most people. The issue is that it's not a variable speed fan. I wouldn't be happy with any light that doesn't have a variable speed fan. My bad for not doing my homework first.

So what's out there that would meet my stringent standards?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Harold999

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, but I'm sure enough that it's normal. I don't think the noise would bother most people. The issue is that it's not a variable speed fan. I wouldn't be happy with any light that doesn't have a variable speed fan. My bad for not doing my homework first.

So what's out there that would meet my stringent standards?
I run a Radion XR15 G5 Pro on a tank at 50% power and the fan is never on.
I don't know at which power it goes on and how loud it is then because i simply never had it run over 50% so i can't tell you for sure if that's the light for you.
For me it is! I hate fan noise.

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a Radion XR15 G5 Pro on a tank at 50% power and the fan is never on.
I don't know at which power it goes on and how loud it is then because i simply never had it run over 50% so i can't tell you for sure if that's the light for you.
For me it is! I hate fan noise.
That’s not a light suitable as a spotlight for an anemone. I already have a well lit tank with my Mitrases. Looking for a Nem spotlight.

Harold999

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here a cheap 30 watt fanless light. Maybe you could put the 35 degrees Kessil lens on it somehow to make it interesting?

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
D

Dave-T

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here a cheap 30 watt fanless light. Maybe you could put the 35 degrees Kessil lens on it somehow to make it interesting?

That's an interesting idea, but I suspect it wouldn't be bright enough. The Kessil is 90 watts, and I need most of its output. I'll keep this suggestion on the back burner though.

The next thing I'm going to try is just replacing the fan with a more quiet computer fan. I have one on order. I'll keep you posted!

Harold999

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an interesting idea, but I suspect it wouldn't be bright enough. The Kessil is 90 watts, and I need most of its output. I'll keep this suggestion on the back burner though.

The next thing I'm going to try is just replacing the fan with a more quiet computer fan. I have one on order. I'll keep you posted!
A different fan of the same size won't do much. It's not the fan you're hearing in the Kessil, it's the airflow.
RPM needs to be reduced or a smaller fan, which both is possible because you don't max out the light.

minus9

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your sound test should've been performed while in operation as it's mounted over the tank and from a distance. If you're next to the light you're going to hear it, but from a distance as part of the ambient "mix", it should "blend" in as part of the ambient noise. I have two 360x's and one 500x over a tank and I can hear the fans when I'm next to the tank, but as part of the ambience, I can hear my frig and wine cooler in the next room over the lights. Also, you know they make noise, so you're listening for them and so you "hear" them more. Take a measurement with the light off from 10' away, then turn it on and take another measurement. Also, make sure you dB is set to "C" weighting and not "A".

Top Shelf Aquatics

Harold999

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your sound test should've been performed while in operation as it's mounted over the tank and from a distance. If you're next to the light you're going to hear it, but from a distance as part of the ambient "mix", it should "blend" in as part of the ambient noise. I have two 360x's and one 500x over a tank and I can hear the fans when I'm next to the tank, but as part of the ambience, I can hear my frig and wine cooler in the next room over the lights. Also, you know they make noise, so you're listening for them and so you "hear" them more. Take a measurement with the light off from 10' away, then turn it on and take another measurement. Also, make sure you dB is set to "C" weighting and not "A".
If someone took the effort to make a tank dead silent, and you're in a quiet room, you will easily hear the A360X from 10 feet away.
People who claim otherwise don't have a dead silent tank, and/or are not in a quiet room, or are deaf.

MarineandReef Jaron

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If someone took the effort to make a tank dead silent, and you're in a quiet room, you will easily hear the A360X from 10 feet away.
People who claim otherwise don't have a dead silent tank, and/or are not in a quiet room, or are deaf.
I think the question is what is normal. My tank is in a living area with the kitchen nearby, a tv next to it, and a Mini Split AC in the room. When anything in the kitchen is on / water running it is louder than the tank. When the ceiling fan is on it is louder than the tank. When the AC is on it is louder than the tank. When the refrigerator compressor turns on it is louder than the tank. When anyone is talking no one notices the tank.

I can not recall the last time any of these other normal indoor devices were not on and the tank alone was making noise. Even if this were the case I don't complain about my loud ceiling fan or AC so I don't know why I would complain about the tank.

BRS

minus9

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not judging, as each person will have their own preferences, just trying to put the ambience in perspective. I will say, you're not going to find another light that has the same capabilities as the Kessil. Anything that has mechanical/moving parts will make some noise, it's basic physics.

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure what that would accomplish. I already know I can hear it from across the room. Measuring the sound right next to the fan was just a way to quantify it. My room is very quiet, and right now the Kessil fan is the loudest sound in the room. I just don’t like fan noise, to many or most people it probably wouldn’t be a problem. If I had your fridge or wine cooler, I would be complaining about them too. Apparently the 500 does have a variable speed fan. I might try that, if replacing the fan doesn’t solve the problem for me.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Coral Frenzy
Back