Keeping a baby sea turtle as a temporary pet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer your question one can probably be kept "ILLEGALLY" in a pool depending on what type of turtle it is. Some eat jellyfish, some sponges and some living things.

Either way it will not fare well when you are in jail, but if that doesn't concern you, find out what that specific turtle eats in the wild.......Then turn yourself in to the Dept of Environmental Protection.

While you are in jail, the "turtle" authorities will release the turtle back into the sea and maybe send you post cards of it's travels. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Many years ago, they used to sell baby sea turtles in a large store in Manhattan. (Aquarium Stock Company) They sold for $50.00. Now those people can't use their bath tub because there is a 400 pound turtle in it. :anguished-face:
We need a multi emoji I wanted to laugh but at the same time this is sage advise. I gave it a like. but here is the laugh for the comedic delivery. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really wonder about these posts. I think its gotta be a troll, who doesnt know sea turtles are endangered and you go to jail if you get caught messing with them in anyway. Also the myriad of like wise off the wall stuff. Then they post a video from one of these meatheads looking for internet fame ( I'll admit Paul the first video does know stuff) and I think well they are young and impressionable. Then they dont listen to people who know telling them dont. Is this the "I'm a teenager I know everything" stage? I dont have kids so I have not dealt with it personally. I am still on the fence. I think troll to get a rise, they know exactly what they are doing. Or are they really that dense. No one in any of the videos has a sea turtle. Why are you posting videos of people without sea turtles if keeping sea turtles is the question? So for my own faith in the next generation I am going troll. I refuse to believe the next gen is that out of "touch".

PS... dont watch these guys they dont have the best intensions for their animals its about views, subscribes, and likes not the hobby or keeping animals. You want to watch people keeping animals that actually care look into kamp kenan, Brian Barczyk (rip), Reefer matt probably more I cant think of.
LOL! I remember being a teenager and 'knowing everything'!!!! I still can't believe I had that mindset!

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to keep just one newly hatched baby sea turtle from a beach in Miami in a medium sized indoor saltwater pond/tub? When it gets larger I can release it back into the wild. Has this ever been done before? If not, should I document this in a personal blog website for the public to see?

Just because someone on YouTube does something doesn’t mean you should do it as well. That’s always been my motto

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You couldn't provide that creature with what it needs. You should bring it to a public aquarium where they have the facility to raise it.

I wonder if it would ever be released at all. It may just be placed in a sanctuary.

Noble that you want to help it, but please don't try to do it yourself. .

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to keep just one newly hatched baby sea turtle from a beach in Miami in a medium sized indoor saltwater pond/tub? When it gets larger I can release it back into the wild. Has this ever been done before? If not, should I document this in a personal blog website for the public to see?

You already received an answer but as far as turtles go... there are captive bred Diamondback Terrapins but they have certain care requirements ofc. They produce a lot of waste and looks like the OP here removes them and feeds them in a freshwater tank and puts back? I am sure it would require a lot of research.

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dispite the legality of keeping such a creature, chances are when you are caught, it turtle will go to a public aquarium.
While in your possession it may pickup a disease and the authorities will never release it back in the wild.
We are always reminded to never release live stock to the wild if it has ever been in a home for many reasons.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I see nothing good about this idea! How did you happen to come across this turtle? IT belongs in the ocean. IT seems to me that you will lessen it's chances for survival. It is also illegal here in Virginia to even touch them.

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dream on... not legal unless you are a public aquarium with special licenses, even then, they're are only allowed to have them for a year or so and it has to be for the purpose of rescue/rehabilitation.

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched the videos, sad.
Releasing fish from the QT back in the wild. Never thinking about disease.i hope he gets caught honestly. Then maybe he will stop.
Not to mention, don't fish usually struggle going back into the wild if they are raised in captivity?

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to mention, don't fish usually struggle going back into the wild if they are raised in captivity?
Yes also if something like a designer clownfish was released and managed to survive and breed it would taint the gene pool of wild species,potentially giving them some traits that would hurt them in the wild.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just because someone on YouTube does something doesn’t mean you should do it as well. That’s always been my motto
You're telling me i can't get my car to fly with this one simple hack!?

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're telling me i can't get my car to fly with this one simple hack!?
You will never believe how we got this car in the air!!!! (followed by a thumbnail of a guy with a shocked face, red arrows, the car being blacked out, a couple of ads thrown in the video, and the car was actually a toy car that the guy threw in the air)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back