+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Unfortunately, my Japanese Swallowtail angel who had survived ich treatment now seems to be showing signs of bacterial infection. She is now suffering from fin rot with redness close to the base of the fins as well as a cloudy eye. I've purchased Kanaplex, Metroplex, Focus, and Garlic Gaurd to dose her food as of the last feeding she was eating although I fear she may not make it until the package arrives tomorrow. If by chance she does, does anybody have any experience using this product in conjunction with copper power? I still have 2 clowns, 2 bangai cardinals, and a fox face still being treated and I am wondering if it would be could practice to treat them with antibiotics as a precautionary measure.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can help if you post pictures and video.
Kanaplex in the water (not the food) might help, but not in a display tank. Garlic won’t help, and metroplex is an anti protozoal drug that only has minor benefit for some rare bacteria.
Jay

Avast
OP
OP
Fishrocker1

Fishrocker1

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kanaplex in the water (not the food) might help, but not in a display tank. Garlic won’t help, and metroplex is an anti protozoal drug that only has minor benefit for some rare bacteria.
Jay
This is what I’m dealing with now. She is breathing heavily and her pectoral fins are almost gone. Both eyes are now cloudy. Can’t believe this happened so quickly. After I’ve spent so much time making sure the fish in qt are healthy

Attachments

• IMG_5223.MOV
    18 MB
OP
OP
Fishrocker1

Fishrocker1

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Nitrofurazone or Erythromycin with copper, but not Kanaplex.

Generally, I don't like mixing meds (unless it's copper and prazi), unless you really have to.
Nitrofurazone would've been a go-to for me but apparently, Furan-2 no longer exists or is impossible to find.

OP
OP
Fishrocker1

Fishrocker1

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
Another update,

Just all the fish in qt. The angel has unfortunately stopped eating as expected however worryingly now one of the clownfish has also started to refuse food. She looks like she is breathing heavier than usual and not swimming usually either. Any thoughts on this :downcast-face-with-sweat:.

Attachments

• clownfish.MOV
    16.7 MB

ReefCheef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be very cautious overmedicating fish. I know there is a whole school of thought online dedicated to throwing every chemical known to mankind at every fish problem, but very few actually do anything productive other than end the fish's suffering faster.

All these medications people reference are really for very experienced, very dedicated people that can afford to spend all day monitoring and administering the medications. For the average person, if you start down this road it's just going to end in you killing all your fish. Better to let a disease kill them than to kill them yourself IMO. A tank full of clean (proper params) saltwater that was mixed with RODI water that has a healthy bacterial population is the best remedy for 95% of fish illness IMO.

This synopsis does not apply to people like Jay or Humblefish. It applies to nearly everyone else.

OP
OP
Fishrocker1

Fishrocker1

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be very cautious overmedicating fish. I know there is a whole school of thought online dedicated to throwing every chemical known to mankind at every fish problem, but very few actually do anything productive other than end the fish's suffering faster.

All these medications people reference are really for very experienced, very dedicated people that can afford to spend all day monitoring and administering the medications. For the average person, if you start down this road it's just going to end in you killing all your fish. Better to let a disease kill them than to kill them yourself IMO. A tank full of clean (proper params) saltwater that was mixed with RODI water that has a healthy bacterial population is the best remedy for 95% of fish illness IMO.

This synopsis does not apply to people like Jay or Humblefish. It applies to nearly everyone else.
I 100% agree with you in most instances. However, in this case, I believe further medication is warranted. My angel is definitely suffering from some sort of secondary infection. My display tank has been fallow for a few weeks now due to a fishkill presumably from a very strong strain of ich that killed 6+ fish. I basically watched months of dedication disappear in front of me in a matter of days. Clowns have particularly never done well in my system for some reason and it's even more aggravating to me now that one of my clowns in qt seems to not be doing well despite being treated with copper. I do regular water changes when the ammonia creeps up and still, problems seemingly appear from nowhere. Ugh, fish are such a headache.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw that I responded to your other thread on this same issue - that’s a sure way to get me confused (grin). I’ll stick with the other thread.
Jay

Spare time

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tank full of clean (proper params) saltwater that was mixed with RODI water that has a healthy bacterial population is the best remedy for 95% of fish illness IMO.

This is just absolutely false. The only reasonable way "healthy bacterial populations" would do anything is in regards to the microbiome of the fish, which is not something hobbyists can test for nor analyze. Your last statement is also like saying that medical doctors and nurse practitioners are the only ones that should use medicine because they understand medicine.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
This is what I’m dealing with now. She is breathing heavily and her pectoral fins are almost gone. Both eyes are now cloudy. Can’t believe this happened so quickly. After I’ve spent so much time making sure the fish in qt are healthy
Agree - No Kanaplex to foods and this is very much bacterial which kanaplex will address both the fin rot and cloudy eye issue. When fish are not eating, it is an ideal treatment as its absorbed by the fish. I am concerned with the heavy breathing and do assure ammonia-nitrate and temp has not become elevated

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Fishrocker1

Fishrocker1

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I appreciate the input I have a more up to date thread that I’ve been updating based on the response to treatments. It’s been a bit of a roller coaster with a couple of shocks but overall going well at the moment I’ll drop the link below if you wanna check it out .

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
https://www.triton.de/en/
Back