Copper power with Kanaplex or Ruby Reef Rally?

OP
OP
th365thli

th365thli

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the prazi seems to have helped. The blue tang is no longer scratching this morning and seems to have better breathing. Same with lavender. When should I do a water change and put back the skimmer cup?

Unfortunately the naso didn't make it...
I'm not sure why, I had an aerator and the skimmer overflowing. The display tank was full of micro bubbles. Does prazi stress the fish? Did the spasming flukes kill it? Ammonia spike? It was eating and healthy literally the night before. It seems to have a mark on it, don't know if it's just weird pigmentation @Jay Hemdal

Attachments

• 791561A6-4BD1-44DA-8007-392FABD1E442.jpeg
    791561A6-4BD1-44DA-8007-392FABD1E442.jpeg
    149.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 5457CD1A-94A4-49A2-9C44-92D1A63EA99C.jpeg
    5457CD1A-94A4-49A2-9C44-92D1A63EA99C.jpeg
    158.8 KB · Views: 16
AquaCave Logo Banner

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to see. If the naso is freshly dead, lift up a gill cover and look at the gills. If they are white or very light pink, that is a sign of anemia. Dark red is normal.

What can happen is - if a fish has a very heavy fluke infestation, the prazi causes the flukes to all drop off at once. This leaves hundreds/thousands of tiny holes in the fish's skin and/or gills and the fish bleeds out. This results in anemia and sometimes death. White gills are a sign of that. However, if the fish has been dead for 4+ hours, the gills will naturally turn more pale.

Jay

OP
OP
th365thli

th365thli

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to see. If the naso is freshly dead, lift up a gill cover and look at the gills. If they are white or very light pink, that is a sign of anemia. Dark red is normal.

What can happen is - if a fish has a very heavy fluke infestation, the prazi causes the flukes to all drop off at once. This leaves hundreds/thousands of tiny holes in the fish's skin and/or gills and the fish bleeds out. This results in anemia and sometimes death. White gills are a sign of that. However, if the fish has been dead for 4+ hours, the gills will naturally turn more pale.

Jay
Is it possible for no signs of illness but still flukes? Would seem weird if it had a heavy infestation and no signs

AquaCave Logo Banner

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible for no signs of illness but still flukes? Would seem weird if it had a heavy infestation and no signs

No - you would have likely seen rapid breathing, flashing/scratching or tattered fins/cloudy eyes on the fish.

The marks are likely post-death artifacts. Tangs are not sensitive to praziquantel itself and it sounds like you had the aeration issue covered.

Jay

OP
OP
th365thli

th365thli

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - you would have likely seen rapid breathing, flashing/scratching or tattered fins/cloudy eyes on the fish.

The marks are likely post-death artifacts. Tangs are not sensitive to praziquantel itself and it sounds like you had the aeration issue covered.

Jay

This is a mystery to me. I see no signs of velvet/ich, or anything else. All other fish are eating. Even the Copperband, supposedly sensitive to medication, ate frozen clam this morning.

Perhaps it was just stress, it was the smallest tang, a juvenile, though I saw no aggression towards it. Maybe juvenile tangs are more sensitive to Prazi?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a mystery to me. I see no signs of velvet/ich, or anything else. All other fish are eating. Even the Copperband, supposedly sensitive to medication, ate frozen clam this morning.

Perhaps it was just stress, it was the smallest tang, a juvenile, though I saw no aggression towards it. Maybe juvenile tangs are more sensitive to Prazi?

No, I've dosed hundreds (perhaps thousands) of tangs with prazi and have never had an issue.

I didn't ask - how long have you had the naso? We are see a lot of issues with nasos coming in and just not doing well. If you've had it less than a month, that could be the issue.

Jay

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
th365thli

th365thli

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I've dosed hundreds (perhaps thousands) of tangs with prazi and have never had an issue.

I didn't ask - how long have you had the naso? We are see a lot of issues with nasos coming in and just not doing well. If you've had it less than a month, that could be the issue.

Jay
Hmm, I just got it, had it less than a month. Maybe the prazi was just the tiniest thing that tipped something over the edge.

Any theories on why new nasos suddenly aren't doing well?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, I just got it, had it less than a month. Maybe the prazi was just the tiniest thing that tipped something over the edge.

Any theories on why new nasos suddenly aren't doing well?
It seems to be due to more nasos coming from SE Asia after Hawaii closed down, in conjunction with longer box times due to Covid. Nasos from Hawaii were sturdier.
Jay

OP
OP
th365thli

th365thli

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems to be due to more nasos coming from SE Asia after Hawaii closed down, in conjunction with longer box times due to Covid. Nasos from Hawaii were sturdier.
Jay
Thanks for sharing. Did they tend to gradually decline or very suddenly go south?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing. Did they tend to gradually decline or very suddenly go south?

Pretty quickly - the cases we see in less than a week. Some people think it is from collection with cyanide, I'm not so sure, because this species isn't too hard to catch in barrier nets, they shouldn't have to use cyanide on them.

Jay

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Reef Diaper
Back