Juvenile yellow banded possum wrasse not looking too good please help!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Is it still worth using Praziquantel? On does this seem like a different problem entirely?
As long as it’s in quarantine, you can as it’s one of the recommended protocol for quarantine
Dose at 80% of recommended

Avast
OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as it’s in quarantine, you can as it’s one of the recommended protocol for quarantine
Dose at 80% of recommended
Okay, I have two electric blue hermit crabs that I really don't like in there too is it safe to dose with them in or do I need to take them out?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Okay, I have two electric blue hermit crabs that I really don't like in there too is it safe to dose with them in or do I need to take them out?
They should be safe- prazi generally has impact on bristle worms

Avast
Avast

Cthulukelele

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But why would it get stressed at night?
Had you viewed it sleeping before? Most fish if disturbed while sleeping will get incredibly stressed and often look ill/discolored

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had you viewed it sleeping before? Most fish if disturbed while sleeping will get incredibly stressed and often look ill/discolored
No, she has been doing this not because I disturbed her but on her own terms every night

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imagine being a solitary hermit (like this species) and a giant creature you don't recognize shining lights as bright as you've ever seen finds you in a compromised position.
I do believe in the wild they can be found in groups but yes I understand your point and I don’t think that is what is happening

Top Shelf Aquatics

Cthulukelele

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sitting on the bottom on their sides breathing heavily? She normally sleeps in her cave every night.
Look I'm trying to be helpful here. This is a fish type that often has strange behavior and is easily stressed for challenging to pin down reasons. Fish often wedge against something to sleep including the sand. They tend to breath harder when sleeping and perceived actively like the way these videos and you watching them would induce. It may be issues with flukes and dosing is a reasonable course. My entire point was just understand you may see the same behavior as this is a fish that exhibits these sorts of strange behaviors and is often known for looking dead/dying for a variety of reasons. I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm not trying to convince you of anything. I'm trying to comfort you in case things don't change after the dosing.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look I'm trying to be helpful here. This is a fish type that often has strange behavior and is easily stressed for challenging to pin down reasons. Fish often wedge against something to sleep including the sand. They tend to breath harder when sleeping and perceived actively like the way these videos and you watching them would induce. It may be issues with flukes and dosing is a reasonable course. My entire point was just understand you may see the same behavior as this is a fish that exhibits these sorts of strange behaviors and is often known for looking dead/dying for a variety of reasons. I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm not trying to convince you of anything. I'm trying to comfort you in case things don't change after the dosing.
Thanks, and I apologize, I am just pretty stressed with this new strange behavior as she is my favorite fish and I don’t want anything to happen to her. I’ll dose for flukes and then after observation I’ll put her back in her home.

Cthulukelele

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, and I apologize, I am just pretty stressed with this new strange behavior as she is my favorite fish and I don’t want anything to happen to her. I’ll dose for flukes and then after observation I’ll put her back in her home.
Make sure when you treat for flukes you increase the aeration in the qt tank. Prazi lowers dissolved oxygen via bacterial bloom upon use, and another cause of the labored breathing at night could be an oxygen availability issue, so just make sure there's adequate gas exchange during treatment.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure when you treat for flukes you increase the aeration in the qt tank. Prazi lowers dissolved oxygen via bacterial bloom upon use, and another cause of the labored breathing at night could be an oxygen availability issue, so just make sure there's adequate gas exchange during treatment.
I have an air stone in there but the aerator is a duel air stone aerator so should I put the second one in too? Or is that overkill?

Cthulukelele

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an air stone in there but the aerator is a duel air stone aerator so should I put the second one in too? Or is that overkill?
An extra airstone or a small powerhead pointed at the surface is a decent idea while dosing

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An extra airstone or a small powerhead pointed at the surface is a decent idea while dosing
Unfortunately I don’t have a power head but I’ll add the air stone, thanks for all the help.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back