Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way of really telling where the deadpsots are until the sand is in, not without knowing if it'll blow about. I'll definitely bear that advice in mind though, thanks mate!
Yeah you will always be messing about with them even when you get new coral ect

Avast
OP
OP
JoshO

JoshO

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick picture of the chamber 1 basket/director.
Works like a charm. All 3 chambers have consistent water levels and the water is flowing perfectly through the media. Really happy with how it's turned out.
Top shelf is foam, cut from the stock block that is supposed to go in chamber 2, cut it to about an inch thick. I've made 2 so it makes maintenance easy. There will be a thin floss pad sat at the bottom of chamber 1 and 2 to trap any detritus that manages to bypass the foam so again weekly cleaning is easier.
IMG_20200304_125517.jpg

MrDLHughesY

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick picture of the chamber 1 basket/director.
Works like a charm. All 3 chambers have consistent water levels and the water is flowing perfectly through the media. Really happy with how it's turned out.
Top shelf is foam, cut from the stock block that is supposed to go in chamber 2, cut it to about an inch thick. I've made 2 so it makes maintenance easy. There will be a thin floss pad sat at the bottom of chamber 1 and 2 to trap any detritus that manages to bypass the foam so again weekly cleaning is easier.
View attachment 1455618
Looks good I would put the thin floss pad on top of the foam and change it every few days or when you see it needs changing.

OP
OP
JoshO

JoshO

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good I would put the thin floss pad on top of the foam and change it every few days or when you see it needs changing.
I've seen a lot of people use floss before sponge but surely this defeats the object because larger particles are filtered by foam and then smaller by floss?

MrDLHughesY

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen a lot of people use floss before sponge but surely this defeats the object because larger particles are filtered by foam and then smaller by floss?
Personally I don’t use the foam I just use the floss and the floss catches everything before it travels through everything else

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
JoshO

JoshO

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this mod and am very much planning on stealing it once my 3D printer comes back to life.
More than welcome to, glad it's of help! No doubt a 3d printed version will fit more snug and be even more effective!

OP
OP
JoshO

JoshO

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update, not a lot happening yet as I'm waiting for a few more bits for the DT so I can set it up and get it cycling!
I've got the 2 clowns still in QT, but they're currently separated with a breeder net due to a lot of aggression. 1 fish ended up in a really bad way but is healing well, not feeding too great but still having small amounts so hopefully once it's healed up it'll improve it's feeding! They're currently undergoing Cupramine treatment, it should finish at the same time the DT is ready.
As for the DT I've spend MORE time on the rock, cutting bits off and puttying them back on in other places to make it as good as possible for future corals.
The idea is for the left hand 50% of the rockwork to be sps dominant and the right hand 50% is going to be lps, mainly acans and zoas

Corals.com
OP
OP
JoshO

JoshO

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caught back up, I loved the scape, can't wait to see the new one is like.
Sorry your clowns aren't friends.
Thanks, it's slightly changed from the pictures on here due to all the cutting and sticking!
It's a real shame as they were both really nice fish, in great condition but now one is really bashed up!

OP
OP
JoshO

JoshO

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE
Sadly we lost the clown that was suffering, seemed to be on the mend, all fins healing but then it stopped feeding and was spending a lot of time on the bottom. Water was tested and everything was fine, the other fish no stressed remotely!
On a slightly more positive note, tomorrow the DT will be finally getting filled! With everything that's happening in the world I felt I ought to get it set up before we're told to stay indoors!
Had a nice delivery today which had all the final components I needed to get up and running! I'll be mixing the saltwater overnight and rinsing the substrate in the morning.
I've started putting the mini control cabinet together, I'll pop a picture below! The red box is where the temperature controller is going.
Once everything is finished tomorrow I'll post a ton of photos of it all step by step!

IMG_20200319_191016~2.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
JoshO

JoshO

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the salt side, always love to see more pico reefs!
Thanks, this is the bigger version of the Evo, the 13.5 so it's the nano not the Pico! I don't think I'd manage with a Pico!

OP
OP
JoshO

JoshO

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top Shelf Aquatics

najer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
JoshO

JoshO

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen this a lot, stick it in your profile haha

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
JoshO

JoshO

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's finally running!!
Got the water heating and salt added this morning so it would be ready by this evening.
Gave the substrate (Caribsea special grade) a good rinse...still ended up with a bit of cloud but never mind!
Then set about levelling the stand properly (my floor is dreadful).
Once this was done I centred the tank on top and added some wire retainers behind it to keep everything tidy.
Once the water was up to temp I added the substrate to about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch, the rockwork and filled it up slowly, added the wavemaker and heater, filled to the level I wanted and set the equipment away!
Finally I dosed ATM colony and added some Dr Tim's Ammonia chloride to bring the level to 1.5 and now it's going to run until the ammonia is zero and the nitrate is up nicely! Once it's done I'll do a 25% water change and go for a round 2, once that's finished the clown should be out of quarantine!
Absolutely over the moon with how it looks and the changes I made to the rockwork.
IMG_20200320_205738.jpg
IMG_20200320_205745.jpg
IMG_20200320_192637.jpg
IMG_20200320_192333.jpg

OP
OP
JoshO

JoshO

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick final tidy up of the control cupboard, used a spare piece of card to temporarily hide wires, I'll be deciding over the next few days how best to house wires, I'm going to be adding a temp controller next to the wavemaker controller, and I want to leave room for a 2nd wavemaker if needed.
As for dosing etc I have another empty cupboard next to this one which will eventually house that and possibly an ATO when I eventually upgrade the light and remove the lid
IMG_20200321_141726.jpg
IMG_20200321_142024.jpg

AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

TCK Corals
Back