Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correctly set up .. A jaubert setup is near bulletproof and VERY low maintenance..pay attention to substrate size and plenum height , and you will be pleased.. make sure to have plenty of flow ..its essential when things get started,, I have been using the jaubert method for the last 30+ yrs or so.. my best tank setups by far ..

AS
OP
OP
W

WillpoleReefers

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correctly set up .. A jaubert setup is near bulletproof and VERY low maintenance..pay attention to substrate size and plenum height , and you will be pleased.. make sure to have plenty of flow ..its essential when things get started,, I have been using the jaubert method for the last 30+ yrs or so.. my best tank setups by far ..
Liking your support for this. The Jaubert plenum compartment would be set up exactly as per original spec. Wish I could find a copy of the original Jaubert paper, historical reading if nothing else, proceedings from a conference I think. Seems not to have made it into the online age. Maybe someone has it though!

Steve

Quietman

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My next tank will have a deep sand bed following methods of Dr. Jaubert. There have been some changes and improvements on recommendations since they were first discussed and used. I recommend you search on Methode Jaubert or Jaubert Bac and look at some youtube/sites/forums in Europe -mostly France, they're bigger fans. Google translator is a wonderful thing. You'll find more recent (last 7-10 years) recommendations in setting up the system particularly regarding flow and construction. There's also a good overview on a Macna presentation he did (2018 I believe). It's not the slickest technical presentation - but good information on deep sand bed oxygen and anoxic conditions - the basis for the principle.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Corals.com
OP
OP
W

WillpoleReefers

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My next tank will have a deep sand bed following methods of Dr. Jaubert. There have been some changes and improvements on recommendations since they were first discussed and used. I recommend you search on Methode Jaubert or Jaubert Bac and look at some youtube/sites/forums in Europe -mostly France, they're bigger fans. Google translator is a wonderful thing. You'll find more recent (last 7-10 years) recommendations in setting up the system particularly regarding flow and construction. There's also a good overview on a Macna presentation he did (2018 I believe). It's not the slickest technical presentation - but good information on deep sand bed oxygen and anoxic conditions - the basis for the principle.

Good luck!
Thanks so much that’s helpful, I will try adding some French to the search terms. The system will have a dedicated plenum compartment so I can trim flow in accordance with any recommendations. Good luck with your system

Steve

OP
OP
W

WillpoleReefers

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the dedicated French Jaubertiste forum from the search suggested. Clearly the methode is more popular here (currently visiting by chance). Yet to work out translate on my iPad so my mediocre French is getting stretched in a new direction let’s say!

Steve

CLICK TO VIEW

Quietman

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the dedicated French Jaubertiste forum from the search suggested. Clearly the methode is more popular here (currently visiting by chance). Yet to work out translate on my iPad so my mediocre French is getting stretched in a new direction let’s say!

Steve
I now use a web site translator in Firefox. Chrome and most others have same (as does Safari). I'm my iPhone, just click on the Aa at the far left of address bar. Seems to add translate automatically if website isn't in language of device.

srobertb

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I love a good 10-15cm sand bed. I’d calculate the amount of sand required to create this in my display and that’s what I would use. If there was room, I’d place some macroalgae on top of it.

15” sand beds are not feasible for most of us (which is why few people use them) and quite honestly I don’t think it’s necessary. Not that it wouldn’t work, just that you’ll get the same benefit at 1/2 that depth. I don’t subscribe to the bubble of death theory. I’ve had 6 year old 15cm sand beds release big bubbles during accidental stirring and no one died.

This 10-15cm sand bed plus well-lit macroalgae will provide short term and long term stability. This type of filtration will automatically grow and contract based on your bioload and allows for tremendous leeway while proving stability.

I would not use gravel. Ever. It is a detritus trap. I’ve seen too many “old school” tanks that use gravel and it becomes a nutrient sink as things are trapped in it.

OP
OP
W

WillpoleReefers

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I now use a web site translator in Firefox. Chrome and most others have same (as does Safari). I'm my iPhone, just click on the Aa at the far left of address bar. Seems to add translate automatically if website isn't in language of device.
Thanks for that advice!

AS
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AFX
Back