+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loc Line Return Splitter fitted

So as per previous post I was having real issues with the single return on the reefer as it was blasting the sand around at the front of my tank quite drastically. I fitted a temporary fix using flexi pipe but it looked awful and didn't really do the job as well as I would have liked. I had also anticipated issues with dead spots on either side of the large central weir so in an attempt to kill 2 birds with one stone I ordered the Loc Line return Splitter from Ebay. For anyone interested it was £23 which I know is more expensive than buying the bits individually but I couldn't find anyone with stock of the "y" connector.

Anyway here it is :

IMG_6424.JPG

IMG_6426.JPG

IMG_6428.JPG

I had to wrap the male end of the splitter in Plumbers tape which I think is also known as teflon tape ( Not sure though ) About 10 wraps should do the trick. I did 5 or so, pushed it in, pulled it out and repeated until it was snug. This is the same way that the standard reefer return nozzle is fitted so it can be pulled out by had fairly easily.

IMG_6442.JPG

This should be the first thing that anyone with a reefer 250 or bigger does as a matter of course and tbh even better would be if red sea fitted them as standard. The lines can be shorter if you wanted and also extended by just ordering more locline parts.

Still messing with the flow power and direction but this is simply brill !

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over my sump I placed the ATO reservoir, the reservoir is 10 gallons
IMG_4303.JPG

AS
OP
OP
jameswetton2895

jameswetton2895

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over my sump I placed the ATO reservoir, the reservoir is 10 gallons
View attachment 431242
That cupboard is making my jealous. I am restricted to the reefer cabinet unfortunately as Nothing is anywhere near my display :( What are dosing with all those pumps ?

jsker

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That cupboard is making my jealous. I am restricted to the reefer cabinet unfortunately as Nothing is anywhere near my display :( What are dosing with all those pumps ?
Balling method with Aquaforest 1+2+3+ and Np Pro, Pro bio S. The other three heads are extra elements dosed in very small amounts.

OP
OP
jameswetton2895

jameswetton2895

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Balling method with Aquaforest 1+2+3+ and Np Pro, Pro bio S. The other three heads are extra elements dosed in very small amounts.

Wow. Can you put a picture of your display tank on ?

I was going to dose the red sea reef foundation elements but read a little about the triton elements last night. Does anyone know if its possible / advisable to just use the triton elements as pose to going the whole triton hog. Don't have a refuge at the moment so can't do it properly. Also anyone have a preference on what brand of dosing chemicals to use in order to keep Calcium, Magnesium, Kh at the correct levels ?

Avast

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the aquaforest line is pretty awesome. I use their reef salt and some manual dosing of the elements. but from what I have seen, if you can go full AF, your corals will love you.

OP
OP
jameswetton2895

jameswetton2895

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the aquaforest line is pretty awesome. I use their reef salt and some manual dosing of the elements. but from what I have seen, if you can go full AF, your corals will love you.

Thanks, I set up with ATM hot salt because it is extremely clean and mixes very quickly. I presume to change salts to AF I would just do a large water change and then usually changes from then on ? Presume I need to wait for cycle to be well on that way.

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I set up with ATM hot salt because it is extremely clean and mixes very quickly. I presume to change salts to AF I would just do a large water change and then usually changes from then on ? Presume I need to wait for cycle to be well on that way.
No need for a large WC. Just switch salts and do your regularly scheduled changes. The tank will adapt quickly and probably for the better

World Wide Corals

jsker

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The AF salt mixes in a few minutes. If you go to my build thread in my signature, there are pictures of my system there. I would start in February, I went full blown AF then. The 1+2+3+ 1+ has your Ca Mg plus 2 trace elements, 2+ has alk plus 1 trace element 3+ has minor elements and potassium.

OP
OP
jameswetton2895

jameswetton2895

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need for a large WC. Just switch salts and do your regularly scheduled changes. The tank will adapt quickly and probably for the better
Oh thats even easier. Wanted to try to keep to as few brands as possible so AF might be the way to go.

OP
OP
jameswetton2895

jameswetton2895

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The AF salt mixes in a few minutes. If you go to my build thread in my signature, there are pictures of my system there. I would start in February, I went full blown AF then. The 1+2+3+ 1+ has your Ca Mg plus 2 trace elements, 2+ has alk plus 1 trace element 3+ has minor elements and potassium.

Brilliant. Thats nice that dosing the normal 3 elements will also include the minor elements as well. Are the products pre mixed or require mixing before dosing ? Do they have any other products that are worth doing ... like liquid foods or additives ?

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
jameswetton2895

jameswetton2895

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok So this mornings update I fed the clowns again. They are defo eating more and more each day which Is a good sign, they appear to have chosen the corner where they like to be fed though as if I drop pellets anywhere else they look at me as if to say "no way".

Test results :

NH4 - 0.05
NO2 - 0.05
NO3 - 0

Then I noticed this just underneath where I feed the clowns ....
IMG_6454.JPG

I am wondering if that small brown patch is the start of the dreaded but inevitable diatoms. If they are I will actually be quite happy to see those little ***** haha.

Also Thursday was the first day that I could have turned the skimmer back on but I thought I would give the colony a couple more days to "attach", so skimmer and Phosphate reactor turned back on this morning.
IMG_6456.JPG

IMG_6458.JPG

Skimmer is a deltec c1660 with controller and the reactor is a H2ocean reactor running Rowaphos.

OP
OP
jameswetton2895

jameswetton2895

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mentioned the pellets that I am feeding well here they are,

IMG_6443.JPG

IMG_6445.JPG

I have never had any experience with using pellets, these seem quite small so I am thinking I might try to find some medium sized ones. does anyone know what size I should be getting for a nice sized pair of clowns. Also Should I try feeding them some frozen food, I have only fed pellets since I put them in.

CLICK TO VIEW

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frozen typically has more nutrition and less phosphates. As I understand, flakes and pellets are on the high end for phosphates. My clownfish will eat anything. My hand included.

OP
OP
jameswetton2895

jameswetton2895

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frozen typically has more nutrition and less phosphates. As I understand, flakes and pellets are on the high end for phosphates. My clownfish will eat anything. My hand included.

You may well be spot on however I was told that the pellets have a higher nutritional value than frozen food ? The related it to use always eating frozen food ... I will look into it further, might see how they get on with some frozen mysis later tonight.

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may well be spot on however I was told that the pellets have a higher nutritional value than frozen food ? The related it to use always eating frozen food ... I will look into it further, might see how they get on with some frozen mysis later tonight.
Oh wow... now I'm not 100% sure. Time to read!

AS
OP
OP
jameswetton2895

jameswetton2895

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow... now I'm not 100% sure. Time to read!

Just been having a read, I think if you use a high quality pellet food then they tend to be packed with a lot of protein ( the reddish pellets anyway ) Same applies to the greenish pellets which tend to be crammed full of veggies. The problem with frozen food is that freezing significantly reduced the nutritional value of the food itself. Saying that the meaty food will contain certain amino acids which make up protein that can't be packed into pellets.

I think the only thing that people agree on is that once established a varied and regular feeding schedule is best.

Last edited:

jsker

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brilliant. Thats nice that dosing the normal 3 elements will also include the minor elements as well. Are the products pre mixed or require mixing before dosing ? Do they have any other products that are worth doing ... like liquid foods or additives ?
Ha, AF has a pre mixed 1+2+3+ in 5000 ml containers. One can also mix their own with a saving of over half of the premixed. If you need the recipe let me know and I will post it here for you. Here is a link to the AF products and yes they have foods and additives. If you would like to read more about the AF product line go here link . I do not work for AF or work in any facet of the hobby, just so that you know.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Cultivated Reef
Back