Issue with cycling.

Monad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just started up my new tank. As a source of bacteria, I used Ocean Direct Live Sand and Dr. Tim's One and Only for Reef tanks. For ammonia, I used Dr. Tim's Ammonium Chloride. Tank is filled with saltwater at 1.025 specific gravity. Original water is RODI.

I added the bacteria and ammonium chloride as directed. Tested the ammonia levels a few hours later and barely got any reading. The next day I checked again, no ammonia. I added the rest of the bottle. Took another test the next day, no ammonia but nitrates between 20ppm and 40ppm. No nitrites ever showed up during these tests.

I did a large water change, around 30%. This seemed like an unusually fast cycle, so I went to my LFS two days later, I would have gone sooner but they were closed, and bought their ammonium chloride, MicroBacter QuikCycle.

I added enough to cycle a 75 gallon tank. My display is 90 gallons plus the sump.

I tested it again after a few hours. Ammonia was about 2ppm.

Then the next day I tested it again and my ammonia had gone up to being a little above 4ppm. I did a massive water change about 25%. Ammonia did not go down at all.

Does anyone have any experience with something like this? Any advice?

I took pictures of some of the tests and would be happy to share them for reference if anyone asks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
API

Which I have learned is a bad testing kit but did not know at the time I bought them.
Likely false readings and I encourage you to take a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and compare readings- then you'll know where your levels truly are at

OP
OP
Monad

Monad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likely false readings and I encourage you to take a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and compare readings- then you'll know where your levels truly are at
Thank you. I'll do another massive water change tomorrow to be safe and see if I can grab a new testing kit at my LFS.

If they don't have one, I'll still do the massive water change. I'd rather have to little ammonia and not know it than have too much and not know it.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your issues!

What test kit(s) are you using? I'm thinking your ammonia test kit is a bit squirrely.

I like Dr. Tim's One and Only, I think it works where many reefers here say it's "snake oil". But it's not known as one the the fastest products to cycle a tank (Fritz TurboStart seems to be the winner for a super quick cycle).

When you say you "just started your tank", how long has it actually been running?

Typically, in my experience, that ammonium chloride is strong stuff. If you added it 'as directed' you should have been at about 2.0 ppm ammonia in your tank. If you did not measure any ammonia, that's another sign your ammonia test kit isn't giving you accurate results.

If you added enough ammonium chloride to "treat a 75 gallon tank", and your tank is presumably much smaller, there is a chance you've overdosed the ammonia, which will result in a "stalled" cycle, or a cycle that takes longer than it should.

The API test kits are popular because they are inexpensive and readily available, though here on R2R many members say they are not very accurate or trustworthy. I actually think their ammonia test kit isn't bad, but it's sounding like your particular ammonia test kit is off.

If you have to get another test kit, I'd suggest the Salifert ammonia test kit. It's inexpensive, easy to use and read, and seems to have a good following here at R2R.

https://www.chewy.com/salifert-aqua...T--Qsm8EHmBNh-Fuqu-jpWZ1s4VaH4zxoC-5cQAvD_BwE

Good luck with your tank!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Thank you. I'll do another massive water change tomorrow to be safe and see if I can grab a new testing kit at my LFS.

If they don't have one, I'll still do the massive water change. I'd rather have to little ammonia and not know it than have too much and not know it.
Recommended - Either Hanna brand or Salifert

coltpwrs7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API

Which I have learned is a bad testing kit but did not know at the time I bought them.
I just went through the same thing..

Less is better… API test kits suck…. Get an ammonia alert badge, leave it in the tank for a few hours and post the results. 10 bucks at Petco.
My initial opinion.. your tank is cycling normally, and your api test kit is going to scare the crap out of you soon.
IMG_5536.jpeg

OP
OP
Monad

Monad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your issues!

What test kit(s) are you using? I'm thinking your ammonia test kit is a bit squirrely.

I like Dr. Tim's One and Only, I think it works where many reefers here say it's "snake oil". But it's not known as one the the fastest products to cycle a tank (Fritz TurboStart seems to be the winner for a super quick cycle).

When you say you "just started your tank", how long has it actually been running?

Typically, in my experience, that ammonium chloride is strong stuff. If you added it 'as directed' you should have been at about 2.0 ppm ammonia in your tank. If you did not measure any ammonia, that's another sign your ammonia test kit isn't giving you accurate results.

If you added enough ammonium chloride to "treat a 75 gallon tank", and your tank is presumably much smaller, there is a chance you've overdosed the ammonia, which will result in a "stalled" cycle, or a cycle that takes longer than it should.

The API test kits are popular because they are inexpensive and readily available, though here on R2R many members say they are not very accurate or trustworthy. I actually think their ammonia test kit isn't bad, but it's sounding like your particular ammonia test kit is off.

If you have to get another test kit, I'd suggest the Salifert ammonia test kit. It's inexpensive, easy to use and read, and seems to have a good following here at R2R.

https://www.chewy.com/salifert-aqua...T--Qsm8EHmBNh-Fuqu-jpWZ1s4VaH4zxoC-5cQAvD_BwE

Good luck with your tank!
Thank you!

By just started, I mean the tank is six days old. I tested it for ammonia multiple times and got wonky results. The first few tests showed no ammonia. Then I added the MicroBacter QuikCycle and it skyrocketed.

The tank is a 90 gallon display plus the sump so about 95 gallons.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!

By just started, I mean the tank is six days old. I tested it for ammonia multiple times and got wonky results. The first few tests showed no ammonia. Then I added the MicroBacter QuikCycle and it skyrocketed.

The tank is a 90 gallon display plus the sump so about 95 gallons.
The MicroBacter product doesn't, to my knowledge, contain ammonia, so this test result is again indicating that your ammonia test kit is almost certainly squirrely.

If your budget allows, get a Hanna Ammonia Checker, and if not, grab the $12 Salifert test kit I linked above.

And in the meantime, find a good Local Fish Store (LFS) that can test your water using reliable methods. In other words, don't just go down to your local PetCo (not trying to bash) and have them test your water using the same API test kits you're already using :)

I hope that helps, best of luck!

OP
OP
Monad

Monad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone still following, I bought the Red Sea test kit based on the recommendation of my LFS. I read it today and got a 0.2ppm reading on the ammonia and zero on the nitrite.

I dosed some more ammonia and brought it up to about 1.4. I also got a SeaChem ammonia badge.

If it drops to zero in the next 24 hours I’m cycled. If not, I’m still happy because this means I haven’t poisoned my tank.

I will also never buy API test kits for saltwater again.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back