Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually tried to grow that algae for a tang and to not get dinos. So when I stopped dosing nitrate and Phos, it went away on its own. The reason I say they are not truly 0 is cos I have a refugium with chaeto and it is growing well. I also have zoas that are growing really well. So I dont think it is true 0. It just dont show up on tests. Even when I was dosing, it rarely showed up on test kits. I used both Hanna and redsea. Only battle with algae is CUC and manual removal. This time I didnt even do that. CUC took care of it.
I have 2 kessil A360x for lighting. I increased the photo period since I got the torch by an hour to 7 hours. with 2 hour ramp up and 2 hour ramp down. Color specs, I think 0 green or red, there is 70 UV, and rest is all mostly blue. I have a PAR meter so I usually dial in based on the coral req and acclimate them over 2 to 4 weeks.
You said "they're not actually 0 because my chaeto is growing well"... guess what is taking up your nitrates and phosphates and causing them to bottom out? If they're not "really 0", what are they? Giving false numbers won't help your cause here. I could be wrong, but your whole approach and provinding of information here seems to be wrong. What kind of Hanna checker are you using? HR? If so, that's why it's probably not able to detect it properly for you. If I am not mistaken green and red also cause algae growth like crazy (therefore should be kept at a minimum), but they should not be 0, but I could be wrong on this one.

AS
OP
OP
N

Nemoreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said "they're not actually 0 because my chaeto is growing well"... guess what is taking up your nitrates and phosphates and causing them to bottom out? If they're not "really 0", what are they? Giving false numbers won't help your cause here. I could be wrong, but your whole approach and provinding of information here seems to be wrong. What kind of Hanna checker are you using? HR? If so, that's why it's probably not able to detect it properly for you. If I am not mistaken green and red also cause algae growth like crazy (therefore should be kept at a minimum), but they should not be 0, but I could be wrong on this one.
I gave the exact numbers above. Atleast of everything I check. It's Hanna HR[minimum is 0.1PPM]. Not the ULR and also redsea. They both read zero since beginning of this year. Haven't had any issues with that yet. All the zoas are growing well.

And what do you mean by false numbers? I gave the actual readings last night.

Here again
Parameters
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Phosphate 0
Ph 8.2 - 8.00
Salinity 1.025
Alkalinity 8.54
Calcium 431ppm
Magnesium 1343ppm
Temp 79.1

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Nemoreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update from seller - They saw the pictures and acknowledged that it is missing the flesh band and they usually have an inspection for this before shipping. Somehow this was missed. So they have asked me to keep them posted on the progress.

This should be the case cos they have really good feedback and customer service.

Avast

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Reef Chasers Aquaculture
Back