Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something is taking in the Nitrates and Phos. Couldn’t see video. I’m using iOS device. What else in the tank besides the torch and zoas?
It is probably the refugium. I will post a picture of this from the video.

Screenshot_20230514_214627_Gallery.jpg

steveschuerger

Corals Admittedly Goni and Torch/Frogspawn nut
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres my happy torches,
It is probably the refugium. I will post a picture of this from the video.

View attachment 3150266
same torch? Looks pretty good there. When exactly during the day was the other pic taken? Mine retract as well but not quite that severely.

OP
OP
N

Nemoreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you dose with for elements and nutrition.
I have been dosing
Tropic Marin All for Reef - increased to 8ml yesterday after torches were introduced.

About of quart of Phyto everyday

Started KZ amino Acid with the introduction of these torches.

Polyplab reef roids 3 times a week.

Food for fishes - I have 3 types of pellets mixed with auto feeder. Spectrum, PE Mysis and TDO

Also feed one from frozen Mysis, Brine or mermaid delight alternate days soaked in selcon.

OP
OP
N

Nemoreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres my happy torches,

same torch? Looks pretty good there. When exactly during the day was the other pic taken? Mine retract as well but not quite that severely.
Yes that is the same torch actually right when I posted the original video and that picture is a screenshot of the video. 5.40pm. The receded picture at 9.00pm.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test kits are redsea and hanna. I think the kits are ok but the reason I say it's not 0 is my refugium is thriving.
If you are exporting too many nutrients, reduce the photo period on the fuge...

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that is the same torch actually right when I posted the original video and that picture is a screenshot of the video. 5.40pm. The receded picture at 9.00pm.
They can look beautiful until the day they bail out... Polyp extension is not a reliable indicator of health.

BRS

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a post I made a while back with a good link explaining what I'm talking about.

OP
OP
N

Nemoreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are exporting too many nutrients, reduce the photo period on the fuge...
I couldn't do that before last week cos my ph used to drop to 7.8. Last week I setup CO2 scrubber and now I could reduce the photo period. Thank you for the suggestion.

steveschuerger

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can look beautiful until the day they bail out... Polyp extension is not a reliable indicator of health.
Yeah I had one that look gorgeous. The next day it was halfway dead. That evening was completely cooked.I’ve had a couple Gonis do the same. Fully extended-unhappy-dead In 2 days .

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
N

Nemoreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To keep Alk and Ph more stable I’d suggest dosing with a 2 part.
I am considering it. I already got the stuff for it. My neptune DOS can only have two at a time and it's being used for AFR. I also picked AFR to keep up with the trace elements. I havent changed water in over four months. When I say this, it's not like 0 water change. I do add a quart of phyto every day and remove the same amount of water. Also a gallon of water for pods every 5 days. So according to my calculation I replace 14 gallons of water every month.

AquaCave Logo Banner

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I figured thats normal cos other corals like Zoas and Gonis do the same. Now that the lights are going down, I got a good pic of the skeleton. Attached below. Out of the three, the one that stays extended overnight has lot of flesh around the skeleton outside. The two that looks like this are the ones that recede at night.

View attachment 3150227
It looked good in the video. Flow may be just a little high but assure:
Salinity is not elevated
Moderate -medium light and water flow
Placement- upper half of tank
Calcium No lower than 380 for skeletal health

Flow should be tentacles waving gently in the flow and not bending over the skeleton

OP
OP
N

Nemoreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my torches during the dayView attachment 3150314
They look beautiful. Is that cotton candy in the back with pink/purple tip? I should have also mentioned, since this was my first try at a torch, I bought the 3 cheapest available from a well known seller. They might have reduced the price cos of it and I didn't know to look for it.

Dburr1014

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal on many points about torches.
Looking happy is not a good indicator.
Flow looks good on the video however the coral does not. Heavy receeding, but this was done before it was in your care.
I don't recommend them sitting in the sand like you have them. They can get irritated. Can you elevate them some off the sand?

Coral shouldn't be starved to stage off algae. Do you know why you have algae?

Top Shelf Aquatics

steveschuerger

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look beautiful. Is that cotton candy in the back with pink/purple tip? I should have also mentioned, since this was my first try at a torch, I bought the 3 cheapest available from a well known seller. They might have reduced the price cos of it and I didn't know to look for it.
Yes. I had a bit of a windfall money wise and got the torches and a bunch of other corals on a 3 day auction. I love Torches almost as much as Gonis.

OP
OP
N

Nemoreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looked good in the video. Flow may be just a little high but assure:
Salinity is not elevated
Moderate -medium light and water flow
Placement- upper half of tank
Calcium No lower than 380 for skeletal health

Flow should be tentacles waving gently in the flow and not bending over the skeleton
Thank you. Huge fan of your responses to many questions. I even read your responses about problems I dont have.

I have to check again but I have Maxspect gyres on Ocean gyre cycle and I think when this video was taken [5.40pm] is when it kind of gets the highest flow[maybe 6 to 8.00pm is slightly higher] I will lower it by another 10% tomorrow.

salinity is at 1.025. I had lowered it to 1.024 a few weeks go to receive a tang. But increased it back to 1.025 over 2 weeks.

Calcium is at 430ppm. Lowest since the torches were introduced. I think they might be consuming more than I am dosing.

Placement upper half is for flow or lighting? I do have a PAR meter and I can dial in the exact par. Zoas I have seems to not care about the par as long as I acclimate them over two weeks.so can I leave it on sand bed and it will receive around 120par in 24 days[end of acclimation mode].

OP
OP
N

Nemoreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I had a bit of a windfall money wise and got the torches and a bunch of other corals on a 3 day auction. I love Torches almost as much as Gonis.
Same here. Love Zoas, torches and Gonis. These are the three I have in my tank now. And a leptastrea that I got free with the torches.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thank you. Huge fan of your responses to many questions. I even read your responses about problems I dont have.

I have to check again but I have Maxspect gyres on Ocean gyre cycle and I think when this video was taken [5.40pm] is when it kind of gets the highest flow[maybe 6 to 8.00pm is slightly higher] I will lower it by another 10% tomorrow.

salinity is at 1.025. I had lowered it to 1.024 a few weeks go to receive a tang. But increased it back to 1.025 over 2 weeks.

Calcium is at 430ppm. Lowest since the torches were introduced. I think they might be consuming more than I am dosing.

Placement upper half is for flow or lighting? I do have a PAR meter and I can dial in the exact par. Zoas I have seems to not care about the par as long as I acclimate them over two weeks.so can I leave it on sand bed and it will receive around 120par in 24 days[end of acclimation mode].
Yes, they do consume calcium

OP
OP
N

Nemoreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal on many points about torches.
Looking happy is not a good indicator.
Flow looks good on the video however the coral does not. Heavy receeding, but this was done before it was in your care.
I don't recommend them sitting in the sand like you have them. They can get irritated. Can you elevate them some off the sand?

Coral shouldn't be starved to stage off algae. Do you know why you have algae?
Yes I can elevate them. It is glued to a rock now cos my turbo snails can knock it down.

Algae is a long story. I didn't have any real ugly stage cos I added pods, phyto and Chaeto as soon as cycling was done. My nitrates and phosphates have been 0 ever since. I added some cleanup crew which introduced some GHA. It didn't really take off. So I dosed neonitro and neophos so there will be some algae[also wanted it for my tang] I brought them under control 2 weeks after with microbacter clean. And later on 2 more times I did the same cos I was also afraid if I will get dino due to 0 nitrates and phosphates. What you see now in the video is from the third time. It is going away now. Should be gone in a week. The tang didn't survive shipping.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Southwest Aquaculture - a coral lover's dream!
Back