Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am new to having a torch. I just got this and this is the 4th day. It is nice and extended and looks happy but I was curious if it is showing skeleton and if yes, will this cure itself? One thing I also noticed is, at night this receded into the stony part completely and then you see a thin round skeleton around it.

Thanks in advance.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
N

Nemoreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won’t let me watch the video for whatever reason to see what it looks like but them closing up at night is normal.
I figured thats normal cos other corals like Zoas and Gonis do the same. Now that the lights are going down, I got a good pic of the skeleton. Attached below. Out of the three, the one that stays extended overnight has lot of flesh around the skeleton outside. The two that looks like this are the ones that recede at night.

20230514_205325.jpg

AquaCave Logo Banner

natashakay.

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is still hope for it but something is definitely upsetting it and if not corrected you may loose it but it could also bounce back. How long have you had it? Has it been dipped? Is it near the others that are happy?

OP
OP
N

Nemoreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is still hope for it but something is definitely upsetting it and if not corrected you may loose it but it could also bounce back. How long have you had it? Has it been dipped? Is it near the others that are happy?
I just got it. Today is its 4th day and I received it like this. I did dip bayer and coral rx. Seems happy all day and it is next to two other torches. Not close enough to touch anything or each other. I just started dosing amino acids. And this tank usually gets a lot of live phyto everyday. Like almost a quart cos I have 2 mandarins in there. Only other thing I could think of is, I have an orange spotted Blenny and it kicks up sand and might be falling on these torches a bit. But they don't close at all during the day. The full PAR at this location will be 120 and right now is in its acclimation mode for 28 days started at 40%

Top Shelf Aquatics

natashakay.

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got it. Today is its 4th day and I received it like this. I did dip bayer and coral rx. Seems happy all day and it is next to two other torches. Not close enough to touch anything or each other. I just started dosing amino acids. And this tank usually gets a lot of live phyto everyday. Like almost a quart cos I have 2 mandarins in there. Only other thing I could think of is, I have an orange spotted Blenny and it kicks up sand and might be falling on these torches a bit. But they don't close at all during the day. The full PAR at this location will be 120 and right now is in its acclimation mode for 28 days started at 40%
I would just watch it for now. Could just be need some time from the dip and to acclimate to your tank! As long as it’s still coming out everyday I would worry to much but would keep an eye on it. I know I have a torch in mine and after dipping it when I got it, it took a bit for it to come around and look nice

steveschuerger

Corals Admittedly Goni and Torch/Frogspawn nut
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured thats normal cos other corals like Zoas and Gonis do the same. Now that the lights are going down, I got a good pic of the skeleton. Attached below. Out of the three, the one that stays extended overnight has lot of flesh around the skeleton outside. The two that looks like this are the ones that recede at night.

View attachment 3150227
Definitely not happy. Not a goner yet, but I recently lost a couple that started to do this and we’re gone in 3 days. What are your parameters, flow, lighting? Also how old is the tank?

CLICK TO VIEW

coralconor

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were you able to see the video? Picture looks bad and this is at lights out.
I saw the pic video didn’t work but I had one that likes identical to the photo and it lasted maybe another week or 2 but good luck I’m hoping it isn’t too far receded

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

View attachment 3150227
If you've only had it for 4 days, I wouldn't buy anything else from whoever sold it to you. The tissue is extremely receded and it appears to be quite unhealthy.

Avast
OP
OP
N

Nemoreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not happy. Not a goner yet, but I recently lost a couple that started to do this and we’re gone in 3 days. What are your parameters, flow, lighting? Also how old is the tank?
Tank is 6 months old.
Flow is similar to the video except it changes throughout the day cos I have two gyre x330s on both ends with OGC cycle. But most of the time, it looks like that in the video.
Lighting - it will eventually get 120 par but now it is on acclimation mode for 28 days which started at 40%
Parameters
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Phosphate 0
Ph 8.2 - 8.00
Salinity 1.025
Alkalinity 8.54
Calcium 431ppm
Magnesium 1343ppm
Temp 79.1

OP
OP
N

Nemoreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are starving your coral. You need to increase your nutrients. How are other corals looking?
I don't think it's true 0 cos I have zoas that are growing fast. I tried to up nitrates and phosphates 3 times by dosing and all three times I ended up with green hair algae. It disappears on its own in two weeks once I stop dosing.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's true 0 cos I have zoas that are growing fast. I tried to up nitrates and phosphates 3 times by dosing and all three times I ended up with green hair algae. It disappears on its own in two weeks once I stop dosing.
I recommend getting better test kits then. Regardless, the torch was on life support when you bought it and likely won't survive (through no fault of your own).

OP
OP
N

Nemoreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you've only had it for 4 days, I wouldn't buy anything else from whoever sold it to you. The tissue is extremely receded and it appears to be quite unhealthy.
Two out of three are like this. Other one looks really healthy. The thing is, all three of them look really happy during the day. Out and flowing. How long should I wait to see if this will survive in my tank?

steveschuerger

Corals Admittedly Goni and Torch/Frogspawn nut
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 6 months old.
Flow is similar to the video except it changes throughout the day cos I have two gyre x330s on both ends with OGC cycle. But most of the time, it looks like that in the video.
Lighting - it will eventually get 120 par but now it is on acclimation mode for 28 days which started at 40%
Parameters
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Phosphate 0
Ph 8.2 - 8.00
Salinity 1.025
Alkalinity 8.54
Calcium 431ppm
Magnesium 1343ppm
Temp 79.1
Something is taking in the Nitrates and Phos. Couldn’t see video. I’m using iOS device. What else in the tank besides the torch and zoas?

OP
OP
N

Nemoreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend getting better test kits then. Regardless, the torch was on life support when you bought it and likely won't survive (through no fault of your own).
Test kits are redsea and hanna. I think the kits are ok but the reason I say it's not 0 is my refugium is thriving.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Pirates Reef Corals
Back