Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought a meteor shower coral about 2 weeks ago and it hasn’t changed since I got it. I know they’re supposed to open and spread so I was wondering if I’m doing something wrong with it or placed it wrong? Wrong lighting? someone let me know.

4AA91E59-3167-4D89-928D-4D70A57C1FBD.jpeg

HeyLookItsCaps

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a steal! There aren’t many people in my area into reefing let alone stores. I have to go to petco for all of my fish and would have to go to the next city over to go to actual stores dedicated to fish.
Modern shipping has really changed the game, you might be surprised what can show up on your doorstep! Just take it slow and have patience, I’ve lost more over my 14 years doing this than I’d ever want to admit. Glad you found us on R2R

Upvote 0
OP
OP
at11ok

at11ok

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Modern shipping has really changed the game, you might be surprised what can show up on your doorstep! Just take it slow and have patience, I’ve lost more over my 14 years doing this than I’d ever want to admit. Glad you found us on R2R
Yeah I’ve been looking into buying online too but I’ve learned it’s only worth it when you buy a lot at once because of the shipping fee. I’m also glad I found you guys. R2R has help so much already so I’m glad I decided to make and account and make myself part of the community.

Upvote 0

HeyLookItsCaps

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’ve been looking into buying online too but I’ve learned it’s only worth it when you buy a lot at once because of the shipping fee. I’m also glad I found you guys. R2R has help so much already so I’m glad I decided to make and account and make myself part of the community.
Some stores are only 30-40 for shipping, now I won’t tell you not to get the free shipping by making a big order because I’m the guiltiest man in courthouse on that one. I swear I will buy an extra 100 bucks in coral to save 40 in shipping, that’s seriously bad math

Upvote 0

HeyLookItsCaps

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make a build thread if you haven’t! It’s a great way to go back and see documentation of your progress. I have build threads from my original 30 gallon dating back to 2007, and it’s so cool to see how things go and change with time.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
at11ok

at11ok

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some stores are only 30-40 for shipping, now I won’t tell you not to get the free shipping by making a big order because I’m the guiltiest man in courthouse on that one. I swear I will buy an extra 100 bucks in coral to save 40 in shipping, that’s seriously bad math
That’s going to be me too I could already see it lol

Upvote 0
OP
OP
at11ok

at11ok

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make a build thread if you haven’t! It’s a great way to go back and see documentation of your progress. I have build threads from my original 30 gallon dating back to 2007, and it’s so cool to see how things go and change with time.
I actually do have one and need to update it with my new blenny I got recently and the 2 new corals I got too.

Upvote 0

Gtinnel

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if I just missed it somewhere but if no one else mentioned it you shouldn't keep your nitrates at 0. When nitrates and phosphates (which you should test for if you arent) are left at 0 it can starve corals, potentially killing them. It's also a good way to end up with dinos.

I killed quite a few corals before finding out that 0 nitrate and phosphate was not a good thing.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
at11ok

at11ok

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if I just missed it somewhere but if no one else mentioned it you shouldn't keep your nitrates at 0. When nitrates and phosphates (which you should test for if you arent) are left at 0 it can starve corals, potentially killing them. It's also a good way to end up with dinos.

I killed quite a few corals before finding out that 0 nitrate and phosphate was not a good thing.
Oh I have heard of that actually but don’t know how to raise it to a still safe level and maintain it there.

Upvote 0

Gtinnel

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I have heard of that actually but don’t know how to raise it to a still safe level and maintain it there.
Some people just feed more or do less nutrient export (like not running a skimmer all the time, or reducing the light on a fuge, etc), but if you go that route you have be careful that phosphate doesn't get to high. I personally just dose nitrate to the tank when needed. You can do it with a store bough solution like NeoNitro or you can make your own solution from sodium nitrate.

Upvote 0

HeyLookItsCaps

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people just feed more or do less nutrient export (like not running a skimmer all the time, or reducing the light on a fuge, etc), but if you go that route you have be careful that phosphate doesn't get to high. I personally just dose nitrate to the tank when needed. You can do it with a store bough solution like NeoNitro or you can make your own solution from sodium nitrate.
I stopped running carbon, pulled my filter socks, and feed a little heavier. I’m actually in the process of dialing in the “right number” but I’m getting close. If I shoot too high I can always fall back on the things I pulled

Upvote 0
OP
OP
at11ok

at11ok

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a skimmer running which is that white thing on the left side and I do feed my gosh more to provide food for my snails and blenny

Upvote 0

Gtinnel

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped running carbon, pulled my filter socks, and feed a little heavier. I’m actually in the process of dialing in the “right number” but I’m getting close. If I shoot too high I can always fall back on the things I pulled
I tried doing some of those but I then had my phosphates get higher than I wanted, so I just started dosing nitrate by hand when needed. As I've added more fish I only seem to add nitrates once a week at the most.

Upvote 0

HeyLookItsCaps

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried doing some of those but I then had my phosphates get higher than I wanted, so I just started dosing notrate by hand when needed. As I've added more fish I only seem to add nitrates once a week at the most.
Gotta get your poop soup right! Sounds like you’re on top of it!

Upvote 0
TCK Corals

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Kessil
Back