Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought a meteor shower coral about 2 weeks ago and it hasn’t changed since I got it. I know they’re supposed to open and spread so I was wondering if I’m doing something wrong with it or placed it wrong? Wrong lighting? someone let me know.

4AA91E59-3167-4D89-928D-4D70A57C1FBD.jpeg

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals can take months to settle in and start growing. You’re also not going to notice any growth until it encrusts on the rock it’s sitting, which will take a while. I usually never notice coral growth day to day or week to week, it’s usually only on when I really look at a piece or see an old photo that I realize how much it’s grown. Cyphastrea like lower light, probably around 50 par, what kind of lighting do you have? Did you turn on the white lights for a photo or do your lights always look like that. It’s polyps should be extending, its a little concerning that they haven’t for two weeks. What are your parameters (Alk, cal, mag, PH, P04, and N03) and are they stable?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
at11ok

at11ok

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals can take months to settle in and start growing. You’re also not going to notice any growth until it encrusts on the rock it’s sitting, which will take a while. I usually never notice coral growth day to day or week to week, it’s usually only on when I really look at a piece or see an old photo that I realize how much it’s grown. Cyphastrea like lower light, probably around 50 par, what kind of lighting do you have? Did you turn on the white lights for a photo or do your lights always look like that. It’s polyps should be extending, its a little concerning that they haven’t for two weeks. What are your parameters (Alk, cal, mag, PH, P04, and N03) and are they stable?
The light came with the tank and stays as a white light. I am planning on buying a light I can change for less light though.
iron-0
Copper-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-0
Chlorine-0
Alkalinity-40
Carbonate-120
Ph-7.6
I can’t test for magnesium or calcium right now
I know the alkalinity is lower which I’ve been treating slowly.

Upvote 0

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have an LED light which came with the tank. I plan on getting a new light that I can have less light soon.
What came with it.

Upvote 0

HeyLookItsCaps

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that a “come with it” LED typically isn’t gonna be enough for what you’re wanting.
If it’s a small tank I like the AI prime, got mine used on fb marketplace and it’s a great little light

Upvote 0

sfin52

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure the box just said bright white led lights that are attached to the covers.
So this is a fw combo you bought. Those lights won't grow coral. What type of lights do you have coming for your tank

Upvote 0

sfin52

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light came with the tank and stays as a white light. I am planning on buying a light I can change for less light though.
iron-0
Copper-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-0
Chlorine-0
Alkalinity-40
Carbonate-120
Ph-7.6
I can’t test for magnesium or calcium right now
I know the alkalinity is lower which I’ve been treating slowly.
Whats your salinity

Upvote 0
OP
OP
at11ok

at11ok

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much are you looking to spend
I’m trying to stay under 200 and yeah not sure which one yet still researching which ones would be good. My other 4 corals are doing ok though and are growing I have 3 Kenya trees and a rainbow acan which I bought at the same time as the meteor shower and has grown new polyps which is was I was concerned for only the meteor shower.

Upvote 0

HeyLookItsCaps

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a 55 gal I was looking for a 48 In long light to put on top.
If you want to go T5 aquatic life makes a good one, ATI sunpod is even better. Or if you want to go LED there’s a ton of options out there that you can read up on here. I run 3 AI hydras with 4 T5 bulbs in an quadriceps life fixtur they call a “hybrid setup”.

either way that would be a great upgrade. I went hybrid because t5 doesn’t give that “shimmer” that LED does. I ran just the 3 LED for years before going up to the hybrid.

Upvote 0

sfin52

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying to stay under 200 and yeah not sure which one yet still researching which ones would be good. My other 4 corals are doing ok though and are growing I have 3 Kenya trees and a rainbow acan which I bought at the same time as the meteor shower and has grown new polyps which is was I was concerned for only the meteor shower.
Lower the motor shower they do like very low light

Upvote 0

HeyLookItsCaps

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would check fb marketplace etc, I have found hydras for 100-150 per light and you could definitely get away with two if you needed to.

Upvote 0
TCK Corals

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
WWW.ANIMATEDCORALS.COM
Back