Is it ok to let alk drop for new SPS frags?

TCK Corals

The Last Strider

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short I have several new SPS frags. My first in the tank. My DKH is 10.5, calc is 508, and mag is 1395. Nitrates are 16 and Phosphates are 0.12. I guess a lack of checking my numbers led to the spike in DKH. I usually keep it around 8 to match my salt. I run a calcium reactor because I watched too much BRS and became convinced I needed one way before I did. (No fault of theirs of course) I still don't need it, or the kalk stirrer, or 70% of the other crap I paid way too much for, but that's another story for a thread I'm still looking for. With regard to SPS all I hear is stability, stability, stability. So should I maintain the 10.5 or allow the alk to drop to 8 in the coming days? Also will this drop stress the frags? So far they are looking ok 3 days in. Thanks in advance

Dburr1014

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short I have several new SPS frags. My first in the tank. My DKH is 10.5, calc is 508, and mag is 1395. Nitrates are 16 and Phosphates are 0.12. I guess a lack of checking my numbers led to the spike in DKH. I usually keep it around 8 to match my salt. I run a calcium reactor because I watched too much BRS and became convinced I needed one way before I did. (No fault of theirs of course) I still don't need it, or the kalk stirrer, or 70% of the other crap I paid way too much for, but that's another story for a thread I'm still looking for. With regard to SPS all I hear is stability, stability, stability. So should I maintain the 10.5 or allow the alk to drop to 8 in the coming days? Also will this drop stress the frags? So far they are looking ok 3 days in. Thanks in advance
One time my alk spiked to 12. I stopped all forms of dosing and it went down 1 dkh per day. Did that 3 days then resumed dosing at a lower rate until it was dialed back to 8.

I think 1 dkh is safe per day. I would go more than that. IMO.

Upvote 0
TCK Corals

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tampa Bay Saltwater Live Rock and Live Sand
Back