Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank recently just died off and all I’m left with is one clown fish that survived everything and he used to be paired with another clown but that one didn’t make it. I’m planning on starting over in a new tank and Im wondering if I get a new clown fish and introduce both of them at the same time in the new tank will they pair up? Also one thing to note is that the clown fish I have right now is still a young at two and an half inches and the new one will be almost full grown.

OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hard to say, if it was alone or with another clownfish in a pair for 2+ weeks and then alone another 2 weeks, it could have already started to transition to female. 2.5 inch+ is big for a clown as said before and more than old enough to transition to a female. Just buy a smaller clownfish and you will be fine. Most clownfish come in way smaller than 2.5inches so it should be very easy to find
I’m not talking about mine anymore I’m just curious what age they start transitioning

Upvote 0

dedragon

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not talking about mine anymore I’m just curious what age they start transitioning
the problem is you dont know what age you buy the clownfish at, so if you buy one its hard to judge what age it is. If breeding and you know the exact age of hatching it could transition at about 10 months or earlier. If this is also asking for breeding purposes I would also advise not to if it is for monetary purposes as clownfish are so easily bred that most LFS are already loaded with clownfish and wont give you much at all for them. You will end up losing money if you tried to breed them, just how it is. If it is for a side project to have it is nice but hard to find homes for all the babies

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dedragon

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current pair of clownfish are 8 and 4 years old and have been breeding for a long time but I wouldnt ever raise the fry unless I wanted a little side project as it isnt worth it. The fry just turn into coral and fish food for me

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current pair of clownfish are 8 and 4 years old and have been breeding for a long time but I wouldnt ever raise the fry unless I wanted a little side project as it isnt worth it. The fry just turn into coral and fish food for me
I was going to do it as a side project

Upvote 0
Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

UNLEASH THE FULL POTENTIAL OF YOUR REEF
Back