Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank recently just died off and all I’m left with is one clown fish that survived everything and he used to be paired with another clown but that one didn’t make it. I’m planning on starting over in a new tank and Im wondering if I get a new clown fish and introduce both of them at the same time in the new tank will they pair up? Also one thing to note is that the clown fish I have right now is still a young at two and an half inches and the new one will be almost full grown.

OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any new clown should be significantly smaller than the current one - to do otherwise risks having 2 females that will fight with each other.
well it’s going to be a new tank so technically they will both be new and like I said the one I have now is still really small and the new one I’m holding right now is almost full size

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
So my tank recently just died off and all I’m left with is one clown fish that survived everything and he used to be paired with another clown but that one didn’t make it. I’m planning on starting over in a new tank and Im wondering if I get a new clown fish and introduce both of them at the same time in the new tank will they pair up? Also one thing to note is that the clown fish I have right now is still a young at two and an half inches and the new one will be almost full grown.
I just added two clowns to clowns that are in existence over 3 years. You will get lucky or have to isolate existing clown in acclimation box for a week to two if aggression is shown.
Best is to introduce new fish to tank right before lights out and it will go smoother with the confused clown where the new one came from

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was the dominant one then you should buy a much smaller clownfish. Clownfish usually come in tiny so it shouldnt be hard to find a small one
Well since it will be the smaller one won’t it submit to the bigger one?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added two clowns to clowns that are in existence over 3 years. You will get lucky or have to isolate existing clown in acclimation box for a week to two if aggression is shown.
Best is to introduce new fish to tank right before lights out and it will go smoother with the confused clown where the new one came from
What about introducing both of them at the exact same time?

Upvote 0

Graemesreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its hit or miss, I would suggest if you can to possibly trade it in and start with a new young pair. Reason being I had a pair of snowflakes and a pair of mocha storms for quite some time until the female mocha befriended the male snowflake and all hell broke out. Now stuck with a miserable male mocha and a miserable female snowflake. All attempts to pair either have been unsuccessful with the now boss chasing them out of the tank. P.S. stay away from mocha storms they be baby daddy thieves and turn as mean as maroons.

Upvote 0

dedragon

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vette i think you might have misunderstood, OP plans to add only 1 new clownfish but pair it up with the existing clownfish, just in a new tank

Upvote 0

dedragon

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well since it will be the smaller one won’t it submit to the bigger one?
The problem is it could have already started to transition to female given its size of 2.5 inches (which is actually a nice size for a clownfish, mine arent much bigger and i have had them for 8 years and 4 years). If it has started to transition it will just become a big fight, best chances would be to add a new smaller clownfish

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Vette i think you might have misunderstood, OP plans to add only 1 new clownfish but pair it up with the existing clownfish, just in a new tank
I know that and had it right. I am suggesting that he IF needs be isolate the existing clown if battle starts to allow new fish to explore tank and settle in. Clowns can change sexes and if a male will turn into an aggressive female. Ive seen too many clown wars and a sole clown can quickly turn into a bulldog
I mentioned my other clowns as I was prepared for the worse adding 2 given to me and did have to place 2 in my sump for over a week.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that and had it right. I am suggesting that he IF needs be isolate the existing clown if battle starts to allow new fish to explore tank and settle in. Clowns can change sexes and if a male will turn into an aggressive female. Ive seen too many clown wars and a sole clown can quickly turn into a bulldog
I mentioned my other clowns as I was prepared for the worse adding 2 given to me and did have to place 2 in my sump for over a week.
Quick question, once one of the fish transitions to a male or a female is it permanent or if they need to they change sex again?

Upvote 0

dedragon

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They all start as juveniles. The largest/most aggresive one turns female and the second largest/or aggresive turns male. Males can turn into females later, but females cant turn into males

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They all start as juveniles. The largest/most aggresive one turns female and the second largest/or aggresive turns male. Males can turn into females later, but females cant turn into males
What happens when there is no other clown fish, do they just stay male?

Upvote 0

dedragon

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hard to say, if it was alone or with another clownfish in a pair for 2+ weeks and then alone another 2 weeks, it could have already started to transition to female. 2.5 inch+ is big for a clown as said before and more than old enough to transition to a female. Just buy a smaller clownfish and you will be fine. Most clownfish come in way smaller than 2.5inches so it should be very easy to find

Upvote 0
Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
NYOS
Back