Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm a noob/intermediate with raspberry pi. I'm not sure if I'm using a compatible setup here for a reef-pi application. I'm using a cqrobot ADS1115 16-Bit ADC Module for connecting a temp sensor and a ph sensor. Neither are options when adding a sensor in reef-pi

I've got i2c and 1 wire enabled. And I can see the ADC at address 48 but nothing else.

When I run: ls /sys/bus/w1/devices/

I get the following:

00-400000000000 00-c00000000000
00-800000000000 w1_bus_master1

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Also for wiring I have the adc run ground to ground, vcc to 3.3v, sda and sca to same but with each a 4.7k to the 3.3v

Sral

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm a noob/intermediate with raspberry pi. I'm not sure if I'm using a compatible setup here for a reef-pi application. I'm using a cqrobot ADS1115 16-Bit ADC Module for connecting a temp sensor and a ph sensor. Neither are options when adding a sensor in reef-pi

I've got i2c and 1 wire enabled. And I can see the ADC at address 48 but nothing else.

When I run: ls /sys/bus/w1/devices/

I get the following:

00-400000000000 00-c00000000000
00-800000000000 w1_bus_master1

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Also for wiring I have the adc run ground to ground, vcc to 3.3v, sda and sca to same but with each a 4.7k to the 3.3v
Hi, ReefPi will only ever see the ADC module on I2C address 48 with your sensors. will then need to introduce a driver under config->drivers and add an ADS1115 driver for address 48.

Afterwards, go to config->admin and reload

Then go to config->connectors and add inlets for your sensor using the ADS1115 driver you just created with the „pin-number“ corresponding to the ADC channel that you connected the corresponding sensor to. The gain setting sets the measurable voltage range, as I have eluded to here. Remember that you should not apply signals above VCC+0.3V, which in your case would be about 3.6V.

Afterwards you would only need to apply a transform function to convert the voltage to your signal, e.g. something like „v/1.65*7“ if you signal goes from 0V to 3.3V for a pH from 0 to 14. you’ll likely find that function in the description of your sensors.

Sral

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sry, I spoke too soon about the address. If you look at the datasheet it will actually specify an I2C address of 0x48, which is hexadecimal code (specified by the 0x) for the number 72 ( 4*16^1 + 8*16^0 = 4*16+8*1 = 72).

The ADS1115 driver in ReefPi will therefore need to have the address 72.

OP
OP
elbarto

elbarto

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thank you for the responses. So now I'm still having an issue. I got the rpi to see the ads module and the driver installed on reef-pi but I still can't get it to see the ph sensor. The ph sensor has an LED on it and shows it's getting power but when I go to add the input with the corresponding pin there's no options under the pin select field.

Any further help is greatly appreciated!!

Sral

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strange. You should get 4 pin options irrespective of the connected sensor(s) since the ADS module just measures the voltage on the input(s). If no sensor is connected that voltage is just an arbitrary value, but still measurable.

A few things:
- did you go to config->admin for a reload after including the driver ?
- If you did, try a full reboot instead.
- Now try again to include an analogInput under config->connectors using the ADS1115 driver
- If that doesn’t work it looks like a UI-Bug. Try completely refreshing the Webpage by pressing CTRL+F5
- Try again to include the AnalogInputs under config->connectors

OP
OP
elbarto

elbarto

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So tried all that and still no luck. Swapped out the ADS for another one that I had and it worked just fine. Bad board I guess. Thanks again for the help! Very excited to see your progress with the TDS sensor. I have chronic hard water issues.

Nutramar Foods

Sral

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So tried all that and still no luck. Swapped out the ADS for another one that I had and it worked just fine. Bad board I guess. Thanks again for the help! Very excited to see your progress with the TDS sensor. I have chronic hard water issues.
Interesting ! @Ranjib is that expected behavior from the ADS1115 driver, e.g. that the driver definition goes through, but the AnalogInput connector has no pins to select for that driver if the board is somewhat malfunctioning ?

I’m glad to help, please do share your Setup if you can find the time. It’s always interesting to look at other people’s work and try to learn something !

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting ! @Ranjib is that expected behavior from the ADS1115 driver, e.g. that the driver definition goes through, but the AnalogInput connector has no pins to select for that driver if the board is somewhat malfunctioning ?

I’m glad to help, please do share your Setup if you can find the time. It’s always interesting to look at other people’s work and try to learn something !
No. Check if there’s any driver load error . If no error is logged, it could be ui bug. if it’s a ui bug then reselect the driver from drop down or switch to another driver and then again select the ads115 driver to resolve,. I can’t think of any other reason than these two

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back