illegal alien eating my pets. I need a trap.

kyreefville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve lost over 50% of snails. 15 astrea down to 7 thinking they were just falling to their death, so I bought 5 trochus and already down to 2-3.

So Im thinking there is an alien that’s has hitch hiked into my tank and eating my pets. So any good trap ideas so I can catch and release or remove?

Besides it just sounds like fun!

OP
OP
kyreefville

kyreefville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like 3 votes for my crabs are eating my snails.

Well that’s not as much fun as building a trap and catching an unwanted hitchhiker.

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like 3 votes for my crabs are eating my snails.

Well that’s not as much fun as building a trap and catching an unwanted hitchhiker.
What kind of crabs do you have?
Hermits won't kill snails for no reason, they want the shell. If none of those dead snail shells are being used it probably wasn't the hermits. Hermits also usually don't kill snails if they have an adequate amount of empty shells. I like to swap out shells my Hermits don't show interest in as well, this gives them plenty of options and I haven't had any snail murders.

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue legged hermits. plenty of snail shells. And thus far no hermits in astrea shells. I feed daily so should be plenty of scrap food plus algae.
I wouldn't blame the hermits then. The algae in your tank could be toxic to your snails ex. Bryopsis and dinos. Could you post pics of it?

OP
OP
kyreefville

kyreefville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6371.jpeg
IMG_6195.jpeg

Some green hair algae, mostly green algae on rock, little bit of red algae on bottom was a short period of red film algae on glass. Overall not a lot of algae. Not sudden loss I put 10 in then within a couple weeks most I could count was 7. Put 5 in and again down to 7 or 8. Put 5 trochus in most I could count 2 weeks later was 3 trochus. Did see 1 tiny baby snail on glass unknown variety grain of sand size.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kyreefville

kyreefville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never seen fish store put anything in water and snails are kept in same system as fish and inverts more of a hobbyist store. Only medication used was rally pro but the slow disappearance started before the rally pro. I did not use rally inch. So medication is not likely culprit.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
if the other inverts seem healthy, its likely the snails are dying of starvation

trochus get stuck upside down sometimes, they arent great at righting themselves. could leave them open to attack from hermits

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh very good possibility I would never find them I have picked up 2 that landed where I could see them.
Yes. Also people say trochus can right themselves and that's true to an extent, but mine still struggled if they fell in certain ways .

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes. Also people say trochus can right themselves and that's true to an extent, but mine still struggled if they fell in certain ways .
I pretty much exclusively went to cerith/nassarius snails because i was tired of turning over other snails when theyd fall off the rockwork

silver-down.gif

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back