Ich on Achilles tang

nemotang2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my Achilles tang has ich but wanted confirmation here. See attached videos. Right now he has a single dot in the body. A few days ago, he had three dots on the opposite side which went away. The dots faded away over a day or two, instead of disappearing all of sudden. He went thru full quarantine process but I have quarantine tanks in another room, so possibly cross contamination happened

Attachments

• IMG_7193.mov
    26.4 MB
  • IMG_7192.mov
    18.8 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I think my Achilles tang has ich but wanted confirmation here. See attached videos. Right now he has a single dot in the body. A few days ago, he had three dots on the opposite side which went away. The dots faded away over a day or two, instead of disappearing all of sudden. He went thru full quarantine process but I have quarantine tanks in another room, so possibly cross contamination happened
Unfortunately there are dots all over the glass and too much reflection from glass and windows. Please close blinds or curtains and clean glass and post again
Preliminarily I can tell you this fish is susceptible to ich and velvet, not a magnet as others often call them

OP
OP
nemotang2019

nemotang2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a couple photos and circled the white dot I’m referring to. It’s very distinct. It’s hard to take still pics of him cuz he’s always moving.

IMG_7197.jpeg IMG_7199.jpeg

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One dot is not enough to confirm. But watch very closely. If dot disappear then reappear in a different location and in increasing number over a couple of days, Ich would be indicated. On the other hand, I've had tangs present one spot that remained for weeks before disappearing, indicating a mucus plug.

OP
OP
nemotang2019

nemotang2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dots seem to stay for a few days then fade away and come back in diff spots.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't see definitive ich on this fish, better videos would help. However, I do see its right eye is cloudy and it is breathing too fast. Are both eyes cloudy? Is the fast breathing because you caught it or otherwise manipulated it right before the video? If not, then even if there is ich present, there is some other, more serious issue at work here.

What was the quarantine process used?

Jay

OP
OP
nemotang2019

nemotang2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woke him up at night to take the videos. I took more videos during the day. See attached. He had his right eye cloudy like that a month ago, then it went away on its own, then a few weeks later,his left eye was like that right after I was trying to catch him. I did two rounds of maracyn (not 2) which helped the left eye damage go away. Now his right eye is like that. It’s been a constant issue for the past 4-5 weeks. One eye at a time. For the possible ich, the new videos show it better. He now has two dots. One on each side.
He went thru 4 weeks of copper 2.3-2.5ppm checked by Hanna, then 3 rounds of prazipro, and two week of hypo at 2.019 till one of his tank mate died. So at that point, I moved him over to the display tank. He didn’t show any dots for a while until I decided to remove bubble algaes by hand for a couple hours. The next day, the tang showed the dots. I have UV light on all the time.

Attachments

• IMG_7289.mov
    59.7 MB
  • IMG_7288.mov
    9.9 MB
  • IMG_7287.mov
    7.9 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woke him up at night to take the videos. I took more videos during the day. See attached. He had his right eye cloudy like that a month ago, then it went away on its own, then a few weeks later,his left eye was like that right after I was trying to catch him. I did two rounds of maracyn (not 2) which helped the left eye damage go away. Now his right eye is like that. It’s been a constant issue for the past 4-5 weeks. One eye at a time. For the possible ich, the new videos show it better. He now has two dots. One on each side.
He went thru 4 weeks of copper 2.3-2.5ppm checked by Hanna, then 3 rounds of prazipro, and two week of hypo at 2.019 till one of his tank mate died. So at that point, I moved him over to the display tank. He didn’t show any dots for a while until I decided to remove bubble algaes by hand for a couple hours. The next day, the tang showed the dots. I have UV light on all the time.
I couldn’t see much in the three new videos. The rapid breathing I saw may have been due to the fish’s high activity level in the tank. The tank has good circulation, but make sure it also has good aeration (bubbles in the water, from a skimmer or an airstone).

If this does turn out to be ich, given the early stages and all the fish in the tank, I would consider trying ich management. Here is a post about that:

OP
OP
nemotang2019

nemotang2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. If I do ich management, for future incoming fishes, do I just quarantine for fluke w prazipro? I assume no point of quarantining for ich cuz the display already has it. And I assume velvet would show during the fluke quarantine process?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. If I do ich management, for future incoming fishes, do I just quarantine for fluke w prazipro? I assume no point of quarantining for ich cuz the display already has it. And I assume velvet would show during the fluke quarantine process?
No - I would for sure fully quarantine all incoming fish with the standard protocol. If ich management works, ich will eventually die out in your display, but could be brought back in by new fish.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back