Ich in the tank

NemoEnthusiast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi fellows,

I was traveling for a couple of weeks and I requested one of my friends to feed my fish. I have a 50 gallon FOWLR tank. I came back and found 4 of my fishes including a pair of clowns and two other were dead. My purple tang was covered in white spots. However, I have 4 wrasses in my tank (Yellow, red, dragon, and two spot) and non of them had any spot. I immediately moved purple tank to qt and started copper treatment. Long story short now my tang is ok and has no signs of ich after 2 weeks. All of my wrasse have been in my DT throughout the last couple of weeks when tang was in copper and they are absolutely fine. They are eating and swimming well and have no sign of ich or any disease.

My questions are, should I move my Tang back to my DT? How to know if the tank is disease free? I had plan of moving all these guys to my 310 gallon FOWRL tank, can I move my wrasses from this 60 gallon to 250 directly as they don't have any sign of disease?

Your guidance in this matter will be highly appreciated
Thanks in advance

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was white spots all over the fish and it went away by use of copper.... So I am quite confident it was ich.... do wrasses do well in copper?
All my wrasses were copper treated before going into my tank. Ich is a progressive disease and can take weeks or longer before fish succumb to it. Starts with a few dots that go away then come back more each time. Velvet can kill fish quick like 24 to 48 hours. Brook also known as clownfish disease can do the same.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hi fellows,

I was traveling for a couple of weeks and I requested one of my friends to feed my fish. I have a 50 gallon FOWLR tank. I came back and found 4 of my fishes including a pair of clowns and two other were dead. My purple tang was covered in white spots. However, I have 4 wrasses in my tank (Yellow, red, dragon, and two spot) and non of them had any spot. I immediately moved purple tank to qt and started copper treatment. Long story short now my tang is ok and has no signs of ich after 2 weeks. All of my wrasse have been in my DT throughout the last couple of weeks when tang was in copper and they are absolutely fine. They are eating and swimming well and have no sign of ich or any disease.

My questions are, should I move my Tang back to my DT? How to know if the tank is disease free? I had plan of moving all these guys to my 310 gallon FOWRL tank, can I move my wrasses from this 60 gallon to 250 directly as they don't have any sign of disease?

Thanks in advance
Please furnish pictures under white lighting for confirmation.
How long did you treat with copper and at what treatment level?
Cupramine or coppersafe?
Wrasse can tolerate coppersafe at 2.25 as well as chloroquibe Phosphate.

OP
OP
NemoEnthusiast

NemoEnthusiast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please furnish pictures under white lighting for confirmation.
How long did you treat with copper and at what treatment level?
Cupramine or coppersafe?
Wrasse can tolerate coppersafe at 2.25 as well as chloroquibe Phosphate.

This is the condition of my infected fish

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0

This is the condition of my wrasses.... they are absolutely ok
Please use You tube version as this has audio but no video

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi fellows,

Thanks in advance
You need to treat all of the fish with copper, not just the tang. Be a little more careful. with the wrasses. Additionally your tank should be fish-less for 6-8 weeks

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
The gragon and coris wrasse look a little thin. The other two especially yellow, I think I see dots and to be safe, quarantine them and if you can get your hand on coppersafe- Its best. If only cupramine, treat a .425 - .45 and verify using Hanna Brand copper test kit and for 30 days. Because 1 or more are infected, the display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off however any coral and inverts can remain in the display tank.
Are you by chance using display to treat with cupramine now?

Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You can see the wrasses... they don't have even a single spot.... it's been over 6 weeks now they are absolutely ok

Nice Coris aygula - mine always seem to change color when they get to that size.

I can’t explain why the wrasses didn’t succumb to ich - they aren’t resistant or anything.

I agree with the others that they need to be treated with Coppersafe and then the tank be held fishless for 60 days.

OP
OP
NemoEnthusiast

NemoEnthusiast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gragon and coris wrasse look a little thin. The other two especially yellow, I think I see dots and to be safe, quarantine them and if you can get your hand on coppersafe- Its best. If only cupramine, treat a .425 - .45 and verify using Hanna Brand copper test kit and for 30 days. Because 1 or more are infected, the display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off however any coral and inverts can remain in the display tank.
Are you by chance using display to treat with cupramine now?

Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
I haven't added any copper to my DT. So if I treat wrasses with copper in QT, I should add sand to the QT tank right as all wrasses sleep in it ? Will it be ok to add copper to a tank with sand inside it?

OP
OP
NemoEnthusiast

NemoEnthusiast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Coris aygula - mine always seem to change color when they get to that size.

I can’t explain why the wrasses didn’t succumb to ich - they aren’t resistant or anything.

I agree with the others that they need to be treated with Coppersafe and then the tank be held fishless for 60 days.
Thanks a lot for your reply Jay,

I would like to ask the same question to you as well, to treat wrasses with copper in QT, I should add sand to the QT tank right as all wrasses sleep in it ? Will it be ok to add copper to a tank with sand inside it?

OP
OP
NemoEnthusiast

NemoEnthusiast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would like to ask the same question to you as well, to treat wrasses with copper in QT, I should add sand to the QT tank right as all wrasses sleep in it ? Will it be ok to add copper to a tank with sand inside it?
Also, can I treat them all with copper all together? If so should I use copper safe or cupramine will work too? I will be really greatful if you could tell me the level of copper that I should maintain if I QT them all together.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Add sand to a
I haven't added any copper to my DT. So if I treat wrasses with copper in QT, I should add sand to the QT tank right as all wrasses sleep in it ? Will it be ok to add copper to a tank with sand inside it?
Add sand to a deep bowl or dish

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Also, can I treat them all with copper all together? If so should I use copper safe or cupramine will work too? I will be really greatful if you could tell me the level of copper that I should maintain if I QT them all together.
Coppersafe at level 2.25 monitored with a Hamma brand copper kit

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It is best to use inert well rinsed silica sand in a tray for wrasses in QT. You can use coral sand, but it will suck up some copper, so you would need to retest and add more copper more frequently.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back