Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all seriousness as they say there are no stupid questions. At least you asked. My Son and I inherited a small salt water tank off a so called friend ( my first ). It is 4o gallon. It was infested with hair algae because all this guy did was dose it for balance, and little else. Also gave us 2 very problemed aggressive fish. Since I did aquariums for 60 plus years I know the 2 golden rules. Do not overstock, and do not overfeed. It took me several months to straighten the tank out. I run a canister filter, and a hang off the back skimmer with a " Razor " led light. Total investment about $ 2000. My new 90 gallon all set up including a sump under it about$10,000. Everything totally necessary. I will assume you are not in that monetary position. So again glad you asked. First I would sell the tang which are always in demand. Never deal with that person in the store ever again. Start your education. Bulk Reef Supply has a series of excellent videos from start to finish, but you can keep it very simple at first. Stick with hardy or smaller fish, and simple coral. Mine are mushrooms. They are very colorful, and will breed for you. When you see my pictures remember they all started from one of each. Also a lot of articles on this site to read from some very highly qualified people ( more than me for sure ). Would not want to see you make the same mistakes that we all have.
20211127_111557voltage 1.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why is it too small for all the fish and just not the tang
It’s not too small for your other fish. It’s three times as much space as you actually need for those clowns as long as you can keep the water clean. Anyone who tells you different is totally clueless and has never seen these clowns in real life. They don’t go anywhere but a few inches outside their nem.

the tang will be ok for a little while but definitely should go fairly soon.. People quarantine tangs larger than that in a 5G bucket for more than a month. The issue you will have is water quality as you need to put enough food in there for the tang to eat and process the related nutrients and waste. The sooner you can give it away the easier things will be for you.

nice looking tank by the way. You are off to a good start with everything else except the tang :)

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometang wrong with this thread.
This tang thread went off the rails from the start.

I'm sitting here having lunch laughing my tail off. All I can think of is that Moby Dick also started off in a 10 gallon tank.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all seriousness as they say there are no stupid questions. At least you asked. My Son and I inherited a small salt water tank off a so called friend ( my first ). It is 4o gallon. It was infested with hair algae because all this guy did was dose it for balance, and little else. Also gave us 2 very problemed aggressive fish. Since I did aquariums for 60 plus years I know the 2 golden rules. Do not overstock, and do not overfeed. It took me several months to straighten the tank out. I run a canister filter, and a hang off the back skimmer with a " Razor " led light. Total investment about $ 2000. My new 90 gallon all set up including a sump under it about$10,000. Everything totally necessary. I will assume you are not in that monetary position. So again glad you asked. First I would sell the tang which are always in demand. Never deal with that person in the store ever again. Start your education. Bulk Reef Supply has a series of excellent videos from start to finish, but you can keep it very simple at first. Stick with hardy or smaller fish, and simple coral. Mine are mushrooms. They are very colorful, and will breed for you. When you see my pictures remember they all started from one of each. Also a lot of articles on this site to read from some very highly qualified people ( more than me for sure ). Would not want to see you make the same mistakes that we all have.View attachment 2515417
Wow, is that a picture of the tank you got from your friend?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Freenow54

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, is that a picture of the tank you got from your friend?
Yes Not my friend my sons. If you saw the before picture you would cry. No coral at that time just hair algae. Luckily I learned from some one just to keep scrubbing the rocks. after 4 or 5 months and other things it gave up. Those coral as I said came from one of each color. Orange Green, and Violet

Freenow54

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not too small for your other fish. It’s three times as much space as you actually need for those clowns as long as you can keep the water clean. Anyone who tells you different is totally clueless and has never seen these clowns in real life. They don’t go anywhere but a few inches outside their nem.

the tang will be ok for a little while but definitely should go fairly soon.. People quarantine tangs larger than that in a 5G bucket for more than a month. The issue you will have is water quality as you need to put enough food in there for the tang to eat and process the related nutrients and waste. The sooner you can give it away the easier things will be for you.

nice looking tank by the way. You are off to a good start with everything else except the tang :)
A month ago I would agree about the clowns. My 14 year old one was like that for years. Now its gone crazy. The whole tank is its territory. When I stick my hand in it will attack like a great white. Came right out of the tank twice and on the floor. Now I have to block it with a net to feed it. I have no idea why it changed

Freenow54

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you kidding ?!!! You need to find ….

Jk. Fellow reefer you should definitely give the tang to the owner of 300g . Tangs deserve to be in the ocean , yet a 10gallon confined box
I watched a great video about how it took months to finally figure out how to breed them in captivity.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a baby yellow eye tang currently in my tank with 2 clownfish and a goby. However, I am worried that it might get too big for my tank what should I do? Get more hiding spaces? Give it to my dad with a 300 g? IDK
It sounds like your fish store doesn't know what they're doing if they told you it was OK to do this (or they don't care and just want the sales). My suggestion is to look to your father for knowledge and rely on the experience of the members here. No question is to big or too small especially when it comes to stocking your tank. Using the search tool is also great when doing research.

Definitely give the tang to your father or return to the store for credit for a future purchase. BTW: Welcome to the salty side and the community. :)

Karen00

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes Not my friend my sons. If you saw the before picture you would cry. No coral at that time just hair algae. Luckily I learned from some one just to keep scrubbing the rocks. after 4 or 5 months and other things it gave up. Those coral as I said came from one of each color. Orange Green, and Violet
That is amazing! What a great recovery story! All the corals look like they've been quilted on. It's a neat effect! :)

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is true bro I will show picture if you want I am new in this hobbie and need help
The truth is - if it is a really small tang it will be fine in a 10 gallon tank 'for now' - which means like a month. Tangs grow quickly and will eventually need a larger tank. My guess is that the amount of food the fish will require will quickly be a disaster for those fish in that size of tank. Having said that - it surprises me that any LFS would say 'its ok'

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A month ago I would agree about the clowns. My 14 year old one was like that for years. Now its gone crazy. The whole tank is its territory. When I stick my hand in it will attack like a great white. Came right out of the tank twice and on the floor. Now I have to block it with a net to feed it. I have no idea why it changed
I’ve heard of this but never had my clowns bite me…lol

TnFishwater98

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More truth is most of us have put things in our tank that either didn’t belong or we have regretted. LFS assume if someone wants to buy something they have done the research and have a tank ready for it.
The Tang can survive in that tank but is not happy or relaxed. The anemone keeps him from swimming in a certain part of the tank and I’m sure your clowns try to claim their spot in the 10g…The anemone might not do well if your tank is under 6 months old. Definitely plan to get rid of the tang or plan on getting a much bigger tank. How old is your tank?

OP
OP
Gobyboy

Gobyboy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More truth is most of us have put things in our tank that either didn’t belong or we have regretted. LFS assume if someone wants to buy something they have done the research and have a tank ready for it.
The Tang can survive in that tank but is not happy or relaxed. The anemone keeps him from swimming in a certain part of the tank and I’m sure your clowns try to claim their spot in the 10g…The anemone might not do well if your tank is under 6 months old. Definitely plan to get rid of the tang or plan on getting a much bigger tank. How old is your tank?
4-5 months old

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

TnFishwater98

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4-5 months old
I would trade in the Tang or give to someone you know. Just try and keep your water as stable as possible and the BTA might be ok. If it starts moving around it might kill or hurt some of your corals.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Top Shelf Aquatics
Back