I don’t know which Salinity tester to trust

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of differing opinions here. I’ll just add a few of mine:

1. Exact salinity is not critical for reef aquarium use.

2. Nearly any device we use can and should be checked for accuracy. Some can be calibrated and some you can just determine an offset to use manually.

3. High quality conductivity meters are expensive, are very accurate if properly calibrated (when possible) and have uses that are not readily performed with other devices (kalkwasser potency, acclimation salinity in real time, etc).

BeanAnimal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If possible I would ask for a second opinion from your local reef store. Personally I would side with the Hannah as I don’t have any experience with ice cap..
I see this regularly posted.... Chances are that your LFS is not better or more accurate at testing than you are. :)

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Raleigh, NC, United States, north carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see this regularly posted.... Chances are that your LFS is not better or more accurate at testing than you are. :)
bro facts. my LFS was telling me i had 0.5 phosphates and ammonia levels. i got a hannah and aquaforest telling me it was 0.02 no 0.5 lol. thats wayyyyy off. and my ammonia levels were not high. so yea, i dont trust LFS

AetherealKnight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you’re right, it depends on your local reef store. Personally , I was given a walk through on which instruments they used. So I’m confident in my lfs. I still do my own tests though.

BeanAnimal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the milwaukee digital salinity, after 5months of use its still calibrated.
I had one for a few months - tossed it in the trash. I use a Tropic Marin hydrometer and realized the Milwaukee was not reliable. I use the TM as the reference and keep the refractometers calibrated to it.

FindingNem0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one for a few months - tossed it in the trash. I use a Tropic Marin hydrometer and realized the Milwaukee was not reliable. I use the TM as the reference and keep the refractometers calibrated to it.
Yeah looking at reviews online. Maybe they had a faulty batch, so far my experience with it has been great.

StewL6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a Hana salinity tester and you don’t have Hana Calibration packets (1.026) you are asking for problems. I love mine 4 years old. every year I buy 26 packets from BRS. I calibrate my Hana every three weeks like clockwork. I also calibrate if I even have a question on calibration of the Hanna. I also have a Milwaukee with it’s own calibration fluid for back up (used to be my primary) hard being kicked to side of road.) any way get the calibration fluid for the Hanna and your troubles will be gone. Also I float the packet in tank water for 19 or 15 minutes . Don’t know if makes a different just do.

FernBluffReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Hanna. Always reads .001 low. Confirmed with my hydrometer, ICP and refractometer. It’s a pretty common complaint that the Hanna read a bit low. But is consistent which is what matters most.

I’ll disagree with others, refractomer is useless at least for me. Hydrometer is always consistent and standard for me. I adjust what my Hanna says in my mind by .001 and occasionally double check with the hydrometer. If for some reason I’m not sure’ I’ll triple check with the refractor meter but if any is off it’s always the refractometer

Sphyrna_gal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar problem. I actually tried twice ordering a Hanna salinity checker (the red pen looking model) and both times they arrived defective, the unit wouldn't even go to the CAL mode so I decided to drop Hanna.. anyway I ended up just getting the Milwaukee digital salinity reader. Love it! I also have a refractometer which I test every so often to compare and they have (thus far) been the same salinity reading.

Screenshot 2024-09-10 at 8.40.20 AM.png

BeanAnimal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Milwaukee and I confirm accuracy with calibration fluid.
You need to confirm against another device, preferably one that is known accurate as well.

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Raleigh, NC, United States, north carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the milwaukee digital salinity, after 5months of use its still calibrated.
thats what i use. with a refractomer as backup, i use both just to be sure. With the milwaukee, its wierd because it comes with a calibration distilled water bottle, and a testing calibration liquid, but even once i calibrate with the distilled, then when i put the testing liquid set at 35psu, i dont read 35. it always reads 34 which is so odd. so i also own two other testings standard liquids. 1 is from fauna marin, set at 35psu , but my milwaukee always reads 36psu. so it seems to always be slightly off. either that or these standard testing liquids are off slightly.

XtraKargo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
thats what i use. with a refractomer as backup, i use both just to be sure. With the milwaukee, its wierd because it comes with a calibration distilled water bottle, and a testing calibration liquid, but even once i calibrate with the distilled, then when i put the testing liquid set at 35psu, i dont read 35. it always reads 34 which is so odd. so i also own two other testings standard liquids. 1 is from fauna marin, set at 35psu , but my milwaukee always reads 36psu. so it seems to always be slightly off. either that or these standard testing liquids are off slightly.
That is my thought as well, how do I know how long the testing solution is good for... I think reading Randy's notes on the DIY calibration solution should be easy enough, and will lean in on that for the time being. Maybe I can double up and use it to brine something for the smoker the same day.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is my thought as well, how do I know how long the testing solution is good for... I think reading Randy's notes on the DIY calibration solution should be easy enough, and will lean in on that for the time being. Maybe I can double up and use it to brine something for the smoker the same day.

The solution never goes bad unless you leave it open and it evaporates significantly.

FindingNem0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get the same exact thing. It's always 1 up and 1 down with the liquid they provided.

BeanAnimal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get the same exact thing. It's always 1 up and 1 down with the liquid they provided.
The device is a toy, sold as an instrument. It is not precise or accurate. A random reading between 34 and 36 is not helpful to me.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back